file What can give our Game a rebirth?

05 Dec 2011 20:13 #17179 by drstrange26
This is just my opinion.
But I believe that Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro does not want the Deckmaster brand and the 'tap' mechanism to be used as direct competition against there flagship game. Second and most important, is White Wolf/CCP has had a bad history of protecting its intellectial property. An example would be the movie series, Underworld where White Wolf ultimately lost protecting its IP. Since CCP has taken over White Wolf, it plans to use the background/OWOD as it sees fit and may even see the CCG interupting those plans.

All of these are fairly good business reasons for wanting to see the game go away.
Keep White Wolf's IP safa and Wizards protecting there flagship from harm.

Side comment:
I think its fairly obvious that Wizards tried to pull in some of the players with a Vampire/Zombies/Werewolf/Ghost type expansion.

Back to main comment:
White Wolf owns the content of the game. Clan names. Sabbat. Camarilla. Are all content that is White Wolf's and would require licensing to use and the same goes with the tap feature and the advanced rules of the game for Wizards of the Coast.

One question about reprints of cards is the artist copyright as well?
There may be issues about reprinting totally new card art.

The best plan to bring the game back is try to get Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro to lease the licensing from CCP (Given CCP cut many White Wolf employees and sent the MMO to the back burner). I really believe Johannes has already tried this avenue.
And I do not think it went unnoticed by Wizards (See comment above)

We have to be patient. A crazy idea would be to start a letter writing campaign to Richard Garfield and Hasbro and CCP to release the IP for VTES into an open forum.
It is officially dead with no active printing or sales by either company.

Just my two cents,
Dr. Strange

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2011 21:41 - 05 Dec 2011 21:47 #17188 by echiang

It is also not all about money but also other issues. Most of the information cannot be shared since it is confidential, but rest assured that no opportunity went undiscussed. Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but there is nothing you can do* to help the situation. I am sorry but that is all I can say.

*except for coming up with an insane amount of money, in the range that Jeff pointed out. Which is so unlikely I don't even consider it.

I agree that there is more than money at stake.

For example, I believe there is a "vetting process," whereby WotC and CCP decide whether or not they're comfortable with whoever is interested in it (regardless if they can meet the financial requirements). Though as just about always in life, if you have enough money you can probably find a way about it (they might be okay with anyone having it if it's for like $100 trillion).

In my personal (and unofficial) opinion, I think what VTES needs the most is influence within WotC and/or CCP. Now I don't mean something like writing fan letters or picketing the corporate office (although well-intentioned and they probably won't hurt). But if anyone actually has significant connections within those companies (i.e. Peter Adkison is your uncle, or the CCP chairman is your childhood best friend, or, not that I condone such a thing, but you have some sort of political/social/blackmail "leverage" over an influential person within one of those companies), I think you could then get a lot of hurdles magically cleared away. But the chances of one of these situations happening is slim, and the vast majority of people (and players) can't really "help" on this front.

<insert bad joke about using the Machiavellian Methuselah tactics we learned from Jyhad to influence, coerce, manipulate, entrap, and :DOM: the right people....>

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 05 Dec 2011 21:47 by echiang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Squidalot

More
05 Dec 2011 22:25 #17191 by KevinM

Second and most important, is White Wolf/CCP has had a bad history of protecting its intellectial property. An example would be the movie series, Underworld, where White Wolf ultimately lost protecting its IP.

Link to evidence, please?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
06 Dec 2011 01:13 #17214 by drstrange26
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underworld_(2003_film)

Its under legal controversy.
And by ultimatly lost I mean a multimillion dollar series, using a huge section of your IP to pitch a movie and all they received was an undisclosed settlement?
And the series went on to produce two more movies while White Wolf is down to a skeleton crew.

Dr. Strange

More
15 Dec 2011 03:14 #18512 by Arthur Volts
Get a good negotiator.

Make some money off the IP or make ZERO money off the IP.

More
15 Dec 2011 07:04 #18521 by johannes

Get a good negotiator.

Make some money off the IP or make ZERO money off the IP.

You miss the point. That is not their thinking, they want to make at least amount of X of their IP or they rather have it sit idle ready for another applicant.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds