file Card Protectors

11 Jan 2012 18:19 #20616 by prunesquallor
Replied by prunesquallor on topic Re: Card Protectors

Game shops will push fancier boxes and jack up the price more. The mark-up your typical game store will charge on basic supplies like card boxes is just insane.

I doubt it is the stores that have jacked up the prices, but the manufacturers. Stores usually tend to use SRP for normal margins.

Trust me, many game stores charge 2-4X the actual cost for some basic supplies like card boxes and penny sleeves. I buy these things from distributors, and can get smaller (both cardboard and plastic) card boxes so cheaply that I use them for shipping without worrying about passing on the cost. At least in the US, I recommend looking for a store that's more about trading cards, baseball cards, etc if you want boxes or other basic supplies.

Just today I bought some Max Protection's "I Want Your Brains" sleeves that i'd imagine would downright fit a Shambler deck...

Great fun :) The Legion brand has a bunch of novelty sleeves, most of them are awful, but they do have a "BRAINS..." deck protector with a Zombie face. I use it with my Khazar's Diary deck to be able to have those card sleeves out on the table as my wraiths...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2012 18:25 #20617 by Ohlmann
Replied by Ohlmann on topic Re: Card Protectors

Trust me, many game stores charge 2-4X the actual cost for some basic supplies like card boxes and penny sleeves.

You know, it's the normal amount of margin to actually live from your physical store on a lot of product. Didn't experienced deck protector, but it's not exactly shocking that they do x3.

More
11 Jan 2012 18:48 #20621 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Card Protectors

I buy these things from distributors, and can get smaller (both cardboard and plastic) card boxes so cheaply that I use them for shipping without worrying about passing on the cost.

Sorry but I find that very hard to believe, at least if you use the hobby trade distributors.

I'm a buyer for the local importer/distributor and for the past 22 years I haven't noticed anyone dumping boxes at pittance.

Drop me a PM if you know such distributors -I'd LOVE to be able to offer our clientele even cleaper boxes!

but they do have a "BRAINS..." deck protector with a Zombie face. I use it with my Khazar's Diary deck to be able to have those card sleeves out on the table as my wraiths...

Nice.
We carry those sleeves too.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
11 Jan 2012 23:28 #20652 by GuillaumeBoily
Replied by GuillaumeBoily on topic Re: Card Protectors
I think that you can continue playing with no sleeves. The players have to shuffle the card anyway. For me it is important to sleeves with opaques sleeves when you are in tournamnent until this moment you just play for fun that is why you don't have to sleeve your deck.

More
12 Jan 2012 14:02 #20702 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Card Protectors

Tea tins don't have to come with tea in them.

For the Battle for Atlanta 2012 league, we are keeping the league decks in tins like these:

www.specialtybottle.com/tinteasquare38wsliplid.aspx

They are tall enough for sleeved cards, but then you have to have something to carry the tins in, which is why I recommend the card board boxes instead.

Does anyone knows another company I can get those unused Tea Tins from? Specialtybootle told me, they don't ship overseas if orders are less than 1000 USD :blink: . And I would love to have those awesome tins (without drinking tea like crazy).

Baron of Frankfurt

More
12 Jan 2012 23:45 #20778 by Adonai
Replied by Adonai on topic Re: Card Protectors
Previously Juggernaut1981 had found tins in Australia, here:

www.tinboxaus.com/product.php?productid=16232&cat=254&page=1
and
www.atomicon.com.au/html/rectangle_tin_boxes.html

this was back in 2010.

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/browse_thread/thread/ba04b0f3d76dfbea/

I don't know what search terms eventually found the useful bits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981, Joscha

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds