file Stronghold Games

27 Jun 2012 10:32 #32543 by david.tatu
Stronghold Games was created by david.tatu
Steven Buonocore is a fan of V:TES and creator of the original Archon program.

He expressed an interest in printing V:TES when WW/CCP announced they were discontinuing the game. He contacted WW/CCP a month or so after the announcement but was told that they were not interested in discussing any proposals to publish the game at that time.

I found this announcement on his site today:

strongholdgames.com/

The fact that he has a new relationship with FFG (Publisher of the new Netrunner) and WOTC might give him some new advantage in negotiating publishing of V:TES?

I spent some time talking with him at Origins. He had some insight into how FFG acquired the rights to Netrunner from WOTC. So who knows, maybe something can come of this new relationship between SG and FFG.

Keeping the Dream alive.

David Tatu
V:EKN Scribe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2012 15:14 #32544 by prunesquallor
Replied by prunesquallor on topic Re: Stronghold Games
Thanks for the update, this is interesting.

I recently spoke with a couple of folks from FFG about whether there were other games like VtES that they might also pick up. They were largely very careful to only say things that had already been publicly released.

One thing that I got from them was that they actively work in three modes : games that they develop; games that they license and publish (e.g. Netrunner, Fortress America, which are both WotC properties); and games (typically old ones) that they buy and republish (e.g. Merchant of Venus, or Rex which is the old Dune board game). This just made it clear to me that they are flexible about what they publish, that they're willing to do licenses where someone else owns the rights.

The other thing that they said was that their schedule of upcoming releases is really full, and so if something isn't already on that schedule it's a long ways away. From the outside looking in, it's been clear that FFG is ambitious and aggressive in the announcements they make, and they're often late (last year's LotR game expansions were very late, the current Star Wars lcg is very late).

So, I guess although I was originally wondering if FFG might do something on the heels of Netrunner, all of the above left me less optimistic. Hearing about Stronghold has lifted my hopes some more, because it's clear this year that
(a) WotC is willing to license some things that are too small or too much hassle (while they focus on selling Kaijudo to 12-year-olds, yay)
(b) FFG has been effective and flexible in getting licenses and rights to old games, and although their calendar has been full,
(c) Stronghold is in our camp and has been able to forge a relationship with FFG.
So by the transitive property, something might be possible? :cheer:

The part that I know nothing about here is the CCP side, the little bits you can pick up here and there are not encouraging.

But on that last thing, there are some examples of licensing the design and dumping the source material. Netrunner is being republished without the Talsorian Cyberpunk setting. Rex is FFG's version of Dune, and it was republished without any of the Dune characters or settings because the Herbert estate was not at all interested.

More
27 Jun 2012 15:29 #32545 by drstrange26
Replied by drstrange26 on topic Re: Stronghold Games
Just something to ponder.

Is there a way to seperate the rights of WW and WOC?
For example, the game mechanics and tap/uptap concepts all belong to WOC.
But the 'flavor content' belongs to WW, for example, disciplines and 'Red List',
So those could be removed from the design in order to print a vanilla version of VTES.

And if so would players play this 'new version'?
I am also curious as to the rights of designers like LSJ and others who have had an input into the design and rules changes since WOC released the rights to WW.
VTES from 1995 is not the same VTES from 2009. For example, the Advanced mechanic on vampires was started after WW gained control and if you use that mechanic does it mean you have to license through WW.

I would think it may be beneficial to confront these kind of questions since WOC may be willing to sell there end of the license and WW may not be willing to license there content.

DR.

More
27 Jun 2012 16:10 - 27 Jun 2012 21:05 #32548 by david.tatu
Replied by david.tatu on topic Re: Stronghold Games
The story I have heard is that WW/CCP was/is very willing to license the game for a very, very reasonable price to the right parties. The problem is that WoTC would not be so reasonable and the parties they may have considered licensing too did not match up with CCP's list. And WoTC wanted "a lot" of money for a license.

Maybe we should start a thread to gather any Facts about V:TES/WW/WoTC and production items and see what is really known and what is rumor/hearsay but from reliable sources.

For instance, I know that the Sword of Caine print run was 5000 booster boxes and the 3rd Edition Starter display print run was 8000 boxes. This information tells us something about print run sizes and gives insight into how much product was thought be be reasonable to make some money for WW/CCP.

I have been told, by WW employees that worked on V:TES, that starter decks had a very small profit margin and where seen as more of a marketing tool then a money maker.

If we can gather enough facts, or supportable information, then we could formulate a business plan and get an idea of what it would take to get cards printed.

Just a though.

David Tatu
V:EKN Scribe
Last edit: 27 Jun 2012 21:05 by david.tatu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Robert Goudie, porphyrion

More
27 Jun 2012 16:44 #32551 by Idaho1417
Replied by Idaho1417 on topic Re: Stronghold Games

VTES from 1995 is not the same VTES from 2009. For example, the Advanced mechanic on vampires was started after WW gained control and if you use that mechanic does it mean you have to license through WW.

You can't patent/copyright game mechanics (the WotC patent on tapping is a bit weird in that regard, but for the most part, games aren't protected by IP law). In fact, you don't really have to pay anyone to license a game system - it's just common practice in the industry because:
1) no one wants to pay the litigation costs to actually go through the court battle for it
2) if the industry accepts that they have no IP protection, then the industry will collapse with cheap knock-offs (at least, for board games - card games are rather tied to the IP in which they're set).

I would love to see FFG reprint this as an LCG - a format in which they release 1 Chapter Pack a month, which includes 3 copies of 20 new cards (no blind buys - you know what you're getting). The problem with that is they have a strict 3-card limit for all of their LCG games, so they can package each Chapter Pack as a complete playset. That wouldn't work too well for V:TES; at least, it wouldn't work as the others - you would probably end up picking up extra chapter packs for 9 copies of a given card. They also already have a Gothic/Horror game (Call of Cthulhu) and a multiplayer/diplomacy game (Game of Thrones). None of this is dispositive; however, they are all hurdles to overcome.

More
27 Jun 2012 20:49 #32557 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Stronghold Games
Thinking with my "I once worked for the Giant Soulless Accountanting Firms" hat...

1) With the impressive sell-out speed of the HttB starters, then it is concievable that they could become money earners and not just 'loss-leaders'. Designing solid, newbie friendly starters that are desirable to existing players (Thank you Mr Peal!) spreads the purchase base of starters beyond their usual "The old guys buy maybe 1 starter display and the new guys maybe buy 1.5 starter displays". (Same product, more customers)

2) If the community can show it has within it the expertise and the organisation to regularly develop and edit cards to the point of being "ready for market" the future owner of VTES may just decide to toss a few NDA contracts at people, pay for the art and let the game-lovers self develop within the community (it takes away the expense of developing them from the company and is likely to keep the community happier). ((It's FREE OUTSOURCING PEOPLE... FREEE!!!!))

3) Putting some more effort into the tournament/promotional aspects. Promo cards (suitably tested of course or even as spoilers for upcoming sets), promo-merch such as Tshirts, containers, blood counters, other counters (e.g. anarch, corruption, etc) and so on would potentially do quite a lot to boost the scene. Within my own playgroup a mix of some DIY Card Counters, Pool Counters, Qualifier-Buttons/Badges and Heather Krieter Merch has had a favourable reaction each time. (See Spoiler Below for TShirt idea).

I don't know if I like the LCG concept for VTES. BUT you could release things like Starter Packs or 10th Edition as LCG-type releases and then have a stratified-random booster setup as they previously had.

I do think that there is the option for making VTES into a viable business asset IF WotC can be convinced that making SOME money on an asset is better than letting it gather dust on a shelf.

Warning: Spoiler!

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds