file Stronghold Games

10 Jul 2012 22:55 - 10 Jul 2012 23:00 #33028 by prunesquallor
Replied by prunesquallor on topic Re: Stronghold Games
From my post above :

However, this is where truth or justice just don't matter, it's all about whether you're willing to lawyer-up, spend the money and go toe-to-toe in court.

There are many examples in IP law where the "correct" side was also the losing side.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2012 23:00 by prunesquallor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2012 09:29 #33043 by Mael
Replied by Mael on topic Re: Stronghold Games

What do exist are copyrighted game designs

www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

I'm not an expert but the above seems to state you can at least clone the engine of a game (but you'd have to change the art and font and instruction if the instructions in total are registered as a work or art or something or other.

I could be wrong though, i just thought it was interesting.

If you're interested see this list of games which are shameless ripoffs of other games. This similar list shows them alongside the games that they copied.

More
11 Jul 2012 09:46 #33044 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Stronghold Games
Gymim,
When you are willing to put your house and business and credit history on the line to claim you were the one who broke the copyright... don't keep on pushing other people (like the IC members) to do it. They've decided they don't want to take the risks, if you want to take the risks... then maybe you should speak to them about it.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
11 Jul 2012 11:22 - 11 Jul 2012 11:25 #33046 by gymim
Replied by gymim on topic Re: Stronghold Games

Gymim,
When you are willing to put your house and business and credit history on the line to claim you were the one who broke the copyright... don't keep on pushing other people (like the IC members) to do it. They've decided they don't want to take the risks, if you want to take the risks... then maybe you should speak to them about it.

I'm not understanding the above. My perception of the above is that I have tried to push "IC" members (what are "IC" members?) to put their house, business, and credit history on the line to break copyrights. This is just my perception of the above, I'm not claiming this is what it says.

If my perception is right, here is my retort: who am I pushing and how? Let me know and I'll stop cause I don't want to try and push people to do anything. Also, I apologize to anyone who have felt that I've pushed them and let me be the first to say: "if you don't want to do something, please don't do it!" Again, if you don't want to do something, please don't do it. Don't let me or anyone else for that matter try to convince you to do something you don't want to do.

I haven't *felt* like I've tried to push anyone into anything, but if others have come away from my posts feeling differently, please let me know and I'll apologize personally to each of you. I am sorry to all whom felt pushed around by me, i certainly know how it feels.

Again, I am sorry and I never had any intention of pushing people around, nor even thought that I was doing it. Anyone who wants to can PM and I can apologize on a more personal level if they want, just let me know what makes them you feel most comfortable.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 11:25 by gymim.

More
11 Jul 2012 13:30 - 11 Jul 2012 13:38 #33053 by RoddimusPrime
Replied by RoddimusPrime on topic Re: Stronghold Games

Gymim,

I'm not understanding the above. My perception of the above is that I have tried to push "IC" members (what are "IC" members?) to put their house, business, and credit history on the line to break copyrights. This is just my perception of the above, I'm not claiming this is what it says.

If my perception is right, here is my retort: who am I pushing and how? Let me know and I'll stop cause I don't want to try and push people to do anything. Also, I apologize to anyone who have felt that I've pushed them and let me be the first to say: "if you don't want to do something, please don't do it!" Again, if you don't want to do something, please don't do it. Don't let me or anyone else for that matter try to convince you to do something you don't want to do.

I haven't *felt* like I've tried to push anyone into anything, but if others have come away from my posts feeling differently, please let me know and I'll apologize personally to each of you. I am sorry to all whom felt pushed around by me, i certainly know how it feels.

Again, I am sorry and I never had any intention of pushing people around, nor even thought that I was doing it. Anyone who wants to can PM and I can apologize on a more personal level if they want, just let me know what makes them you feel most comfortable.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Questions, things you find interesting, and the like are just that. In this thread I found nothing offensive. However, if Juggenaut is looking at the other thread you posted in then maybe could look at some of the posts and say "well, he acts certainly as if he knows everything and finds confusion as to why it still couldn't be done." The Inncer Circle members who are in charge of the VEKN have dealt with some of these things and are well aware of the issues. If it were simple to renew or continue VTES in some manor it would have been done.

When going back and reading your posts you admit there are probably other issues that would impede things you may find logical or correct based on certain assumptions. Some of those things Adonai pointed out and corrected you on and the information was appreciated. But, it could have felt like you were pushing for more information and made further assumptions.

Lastly, I will say this. These questions and thoughts pop up from time to time. Look at the number of threads that pertain to a topic like this or various others. There doesn't seem to be any kind of sticky for the known information on patents/trademarks/general issues/costs, etc. that people can reference. In all seriousness there should be one made. It would help eliminate such topics and debates in the future if people could just point them to said sticky thread. Heck, I have asked questions myself. I think people have a right to have official answers and transparency so long as it doesn't breach any NDA or contracts, etc. But, at the moment we have no such thing. Until we do I expect to see more people in the future ask about general sense of costs, legalities, etc. It may be irritating to rehash it for some, but again, if that is the case then make a sticky or else don't whine when someone asks (granted there is a search tool people should use first before making a new thread).
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 13:38 by RoddimusPrime.

More
11 Jul 2012 13:33 - 11 Jul 2012 13:34 #33054 by RoddimusPrime
Replied by RoddimusPrime on topic Re: Stronghold Games

What do exist are copyrighted game designs

www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

I'm not an expert but the above seems to state you can at least clone the engine of a game (but you'd have to change the art and font and instruction if the instructions in total are registered as a work or art or something or other.

I could be wrong though, i just thought it was interesting.

If you're interested see this list of games which are shameless ripoffs of other games. This similar list shows them alongside the games that they copied.

That's not alway a bad thing. Further, some games aren't reprinted, suffer from legal issues, etc. Thus using the game engine for a new game isn't a bad idea, esp. if the game is not currently published and hard to find. Case in point Dune's engine cloned later as Rex.

In other areas it just makes sense like the new Netrunner LCG versus trying to resurrect the old game.

Not to mention some various tweaks and improvements made to some games can take them from good to great, but that requires largely using the base engine of a game.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 13:34 by RoddimusPrime.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds