file Stronghold Games

05 Jul 2012 14:16 - 05 Jul 2012 14:19 #32792 by RoddimusPrime
Replied by RoddimusPrime on topic Re: Stronghold Games
I believe a new game is the way to go. Forget WoTC and just deal with WW/CCP. There are many possibilities, but I am more curious about the potential new platform (LCG, etc.), as well as typical costs for producing a board game that would give a good idea as to what someone would need for capital (license fee aside). I would also be curious to know the ball park for the fee from WW/CCP.

I also suppose a new game could have very similar features/inspiration from VTES much like Rex had from Dune, etc. Thus, negating any licensing, etc. While trying to please the VTES fan base is one key to success, so is having access to a new audience, and keeping financial costs reasonable.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2012 14:19 by RoddimusPrime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2012 14:28 #32793 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Stronghold Games
I think a new game is not possible at this point, if your goal is to shift the player base to that new game. As with Magic, players have too much invested, figuratively and literally, in the current game.

There are already enough players on the fence about quitting VTES forever. Let's not give them a reason to do so.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Robert Goudie

More
05 Jul 2012 14:33 - 05 Jul 2012 14:35 #32794 by RoddimusPrime

I think a new game is not possible at this point, if your goal is to shift the player base to that new game. As with Magic, players have too much invested, figuratively and literally, in the current game.

There are already enough players on the fence about quitting VTES forever. Let's not give them a reason to do so.

It's been mentioned by quite a few people both in and off the forums of supporting something like an LCG. If the game is teetering on the such a thin line already, that producing a new game based in the World of Darkness with a play style of VTES, would give VTES the knockout punch then that is telling in itself.

And just like Netrunner there will be some old school people who object to a new game, but you know what? The old Netrunner is dead. A new game is being formed with a likeness to the old game and you would alienate for more people by allowing the old netrunner cards to be officially played than you would the few old school people who object. Besides, nothing is stopping anyone from playing VTES as we know the game. So I say more power to FFG and the new LCG. I will be picking it up.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2012 14:35 by RoddimusPrime.

More
05 Jul 2012 14:39 #32797 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Stronghold Games

If the game is teetering on the such a thin line already, that producing a new game based in the World of Darkness with a play style of VTES, would give VTES the knockout punch then that is telling in itself.

I'm more interested in giving the current folks in charge a good long while to attempt to right the ship that hasn't sunk, rather than jumping into the lifeboat and sailing away.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
05 Jul 2012 14:52 #32799 by RoddimusPrime

If the game is teetering on the such a thin line already, that producing a new game based in the World of Darkness with a play style of VTES, would give VTES the knockout punch then that is telling in itself.

I'm more interested in giving the current folks in charge a good long while to attempt to right the ship that hasn't sunk, rather than jumping into the lifeboat and sailing away.

No one is saying jump the ship Kevin. But, there is obviously interest in supporting alternatives as well as interest in any other efforts to get the game back into official publishing. I believe that a couple more years could go by with still a core audience playing VTES while still showing a strong representation at championship tournaments. Further, I believe there is a glimmer of hope when the deckmaster mechanic expires. I don't believe CCP would be interested in doing it themselves. But, I also believe that another company like FFG would maintain their formula if they were to pickup rights from CCP and publish a new game akin to Netrunner.

So I don't see VTES going away like a vanishing act, but slowing declining with perhaps a couple short falls along the way. And don't ask for proof or how I know that. The simple fact that VTES is not officially published and put into the bin with the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek relegates it to a group of people who will continue to play the game in a smaller format as they love playing the game. It's not some actively selling game either. I don't see why it would be a bad thing to have someone like FFG do an LCG or maybe even a board game variant that compliments the game. It might even help bring awareness to the game as we know it.

More
05 Jul 2012 20:56 #32829 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Stronghold Games
As a community, we just need to ride out the time until the WotC Patent on "Tap" expires and the associated IP dies and other people can consider buying the rights to VTES from CCP/WW and keep making the game. About 2 years to go...

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds