file New Set?

26 Feb 2018 20:31 #85433 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic New Set?

The funny part is it would be the cheapest thing to do, given that White Wolf still has the original artwork files. The big cost would be the time needed to prepare the cards for printing.

How so? — if they already have the images in a digital format, then I don't see what the cost barrier is. Even if the images are not cropped / set correctly you're looking at a maximum two weeks work to crop and set 3000+ images manually.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2018 17:01 #85452 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic New Set?

The funny part is it would be the cheapest thing to do, given that White Wolf still has the original artwork files. The big cost would be the time needed to prepare the cards for printing.

How so? — if they already have the images in a digital format, then I don't see what the cost barrier is. Even if the images are not cropped / set correctly you're looking at a maximum two weeks work to crop and set 3000+ images manually.

The artwork file/folder/format structure of the art files is a special kind of hell. Imagine 20 years of evolving software, file formats, and changing art directors.

There's also a fair amount of other work that has to be done to get them ready. Gotta vet and update the card texts to match current templating. Gotta check the color correction for print (displaying on a screen isn't the same as the physical properties of inks). Gotta prepare the files for the printer. Gotta proofread. Etc.

Something I'd love to be able to do is make simple updates to a lot of older cards to improve them, like lower their blood or pool cost by one. I've done an audit of the card base and found that there are 750 or so library cards that have a good idea behind them but that just don't see play because the execution of the card is a bit off. Rather than wallpaper them by making a new card to replace them, perhaps they can be rehabilitated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardyrange, Kraus, ruiza97

More
27 Feb 2018 17:14 - 27 Feb 2018 17:14 #85453 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic New Set?

I've done an audit of the card base and found that there are 750 or so library cards that have a good idea behind them but that just don't see play because the execution of the card is a bit off.

Any chance you could share the results of the audit and the proposed fixes? That'd be interesting to see and fun to discuss on these forums.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2018 17:14 by TwoRazorReign.

More
27 Feb 2018 18:53 #85455 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic New Set?

I've done an audit of the card base and found that there are 750 or so library cards that have a good idea behind them but that just don't see play because the execution of the card is a bit off.

Any chance you could share the results of the audit and the proposed fixes? That'd be interesting to see and fun to discuss on these forums.

Discussing those here in forum would probably result in never ending thread full of bickering... :D

But all in all that is VERY good an idea; quite a few cards, especially in older expansions are brutally expensive and, to make matters worse, often also contain remove clauses making them even more wallpaperish.

I understand the need to take baby steps while designing first expansion cards as to avoid totally overpowered cards but expensive wallpaper abounds especially in Dark Sovereigns
and Ancient Hearts.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Feb 2018 20:30 #85456 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic New Set?

Discussing those here in forum would probably result in never ending thread full of bickering... :D

no it wouldn't. Only a charlatan would express such an awful opinion. ;)

More
27 Feb 2018 21:59 #85457 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic New Set?

I haven't come up with a list of proposed fixes yet, as it's a fairly big project and I have other fish to fry at the moment. However, I'm thinking things like:

- What if Form of the Serpent didn't cost a blood?
- What if Retain the Quick Blood untapped you after performing the action?
- What if every Quietus card from Final Nights cost 1 less blood?
- Is there a simple adjustment to Zoning Board that can be made to make it viable?

Stuff like that. As for posting the results of the audit, I'm not sure about that as I don't want to give anyone the impression that a mass card banning is about to take place. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds