file How to make Potence better?

10 Aug 2018 10:19 - 10 Aug 2018 11:25 #89879 by Bloodartist

Thrown junk is suboptimal period. It reminds me of auras in MTG, too much investment due to liability.

Thrown junk is ok as defensive combat. Its not good enough if you actually want to torporize opponents cause you can't counter combat ends at long range with potence. But in defense... imagine that your minion is rushed by a warghoul. Maneuver to long, throw junk. Seems to work. A single maneuver can be surprisingly effective in defense.'

ps. Auras are an archetype in modern.

So to make potence better, it needs its source of damage to be on par with 44, but due to cost and inability to play in combat, its 2 permanent boosts aren't there.

I disagree. Potence already has all the damage in the world. What it needs is versatility without too much of an opportunity cost. It needs maneuvers coupled with another useful ability on a single card, it needs prevention/dodge, it needs a card similar to grapple that allows melee weapons to be used. It can beat guns if it can ensure its close and grapple. Problem is that it needs 3-4 cards in hand at the right time to do that, whereas guns only need concealed weapon and the gun itself. And the gun remains useful afterwards, potence cards won't. The problem isn't that potence doesn't have damage, the problem is that potence can't deliver it (or deliver it without losing to aggropoke or being neutralized by S:CE)

edit: Maybe I misread your post

Modedit\\ Keep consecutive quotes within a single post - no double posting.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 11:25 by Kraus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2018 11:56 #89881 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic How to make Potence better?
Give me a potence rush that sets range to close, costing a blood and/or with some tapped or age limit. Would shake things up.

More
10 Aug 2018 13:43 #89883 by ReverendRevolver

Give me a potence rush that sets range to close, costing a blood and/or with some tapped or age limit. Would shake things up.

Dire lunge

Action :pot: Enter combat with a minion controlled by your predator or prey. If they are a younger vampire, tap them, And this vampire gets 2 optional manners, only usable to go to close range during this combat.
Modifier :POT: +1 Bleed(limited) and +1 Strength this action.

More
10 Aug 2018 14:51 #89884 by Snodig
Replied by Snodig on topic How to make Potence better?

Dire lunge

Action :pot: Enter combat with a minion controlled by your predator or prey. If they are a younger vampire, tap them, And this vampire gets 2 optional manners, only usable to go to close range during this combat.

Specifying “predator or prey” seems superfluous. Also, it seems a bit strong compared to Bum’s Rush. Maybe drop tapping the target minion?

More
10 Aug 2018 21:42 #89887 by LivesByProxy

Dire Lunge

Specifying “predator or prey” seems superfluous. Also, it seems a bit strong compared to Bum’s Rush. Maybe drop tapping the target minion?

I personally would like to see a Potence rush that taps the enemy minion. Also, Bum's Rush (along with Ambush and Harass) are cards that should've had Discipline bonuses in the first place. It's fair that this card would be stronger by comparison, because those cards are a tad weaker than they ought to be, no?

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
10 Aug 2018 23:06 - 10 Aug 2018 23:13 #89892 by Robert Scythe

Doesn't make much sense for your minion to block mine while attempting to put a fang back in my buddy's mouth or rescue someone from torpor across the table and then I transport said minion to one of your locations that gets torn to shreds whilst fighting. At least with the action being directed at the meth with a location the combat could be happening there. Plus potence can use a rush card.

The pool damage from Collateral Damage would be destruction of property within [the city] or your prey choosing a location they control implies the combat occurred at that location (or that said location suffered significant collateral damage.) You could also think of generic pool damage like violations to the Masquerade. The location was never a target, it just happened to get caught in the cross-fire.

In combat still makes no sense: I bleed you , you bock, I play Collateral Damage and we fight in your Parthenon, you play Collateral Damage and we fight in my Warsaw Station. We fight in both places at the same time, yeah. This idea will not fly. The action version would target a minion in a location, effectively and use the basic mechanic you seek and make sense.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 23:13 by Robert Scythe.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds