file How to make Potence better?

05 Aug 2018 15:46 #89665 by Arthur Volts
You are reading quite literally into every action, which is an error. Pretty sure it hasn`t been stated anywhere the actual time that passes between turns if this is going to be debated for an effect on the game. Which it shouldn`t.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2018 16:27 - 05 Aug 2018 16:28 #89668 by jamesatzephyr

You are reading quite literally into every action, which is an error. Pretty sure it hasn`t been stated anywhere the actual time that passes between turns

If you mean my comment, pretty much all the evidence we have is that combats take place over a fairly short time in roughly the same location. Examples:

- Once-per-combat weapons, such as Sawed-Off Shotgun, indicate that you don't have time to reload, such as you would have when sat on a train or plane to fly from London to Paris.

- Immortal Grapple's set-range effect into the second round shows us that it expects combat to be in one place, because what are you going to do, fly transatlantically and then politely ask your opponent to get back in a headlock?

- Effects that are only usable on the first round, which indicate some sort of surprise. (e.g. Behind You!, Selective Silence) If I was having a fight in San Jose and I'm now in Greece, I'm reasonably certain that an Assamite assassin can surprise me again.

And many others.

if this is going to be debated for an effect on the game. Which it shouldn`t.

If someone suggests that their card idea is thematic, it's surely reasonable to point out that it isn't in theme?
Last edit: 05 Aug 2018 16:28 by jamesatzephyr.

More
05 Aug 2018 17:47 #89672 by LivesByProxy
James is right, the card would be more thematically cohesive (it would make more sense) if it were something like:

Collateral Damage
Combat :combat:
Only usable if the opposing minion's Methuselah controls a location.
:pot: For each round of this combat that occurs, the opposing minion's controller burns 1 pool or burns that location.
:POT: If three or more rounds of this combat occur, the opposing Methuselah burns 3 pool.

I guess. I think the flavor is there. You throw enough sewer lids or cars, and eventually one is going throw a shop window. :P

There is no need for new effects that take a wall of text.

I thought all of these effects were succinct. Not overly complex either.

To address the points about survival and maneuvers, I don't think Potence should get maneuvers, put play with presses. Maybe something like:

Ferocity
Combat :combat:
:pot: This vampire may use presses to prevent 1 damage each this combat.
:POT: As above, with two optional presses.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
06 Aug 2018 01:03 #89679 by Robert Scythe
LivesByProxy

Ok, your list's first point is the most interesting but you don't seem to have much to address that. Collateral Damage is getting there, after your response to James' critique, but not quite yet. Maybe something like:

Collateral Damage
+1 stealth action
Only usable against a Methuselah that controls a location.
pot: (D) Enter combat with any minion controlled by that Methuselah. For each round of this combat that occurs, the opposing minion's controller burns 1 pool before range is determined or burns a target location.
POT: As above and if the opposing minion is not ready at the end of the action and this vampire is, the opposing minion's controller burns the location and 1 additional pool.

Pretty clunky wording but it just might be a bit better with the theme, though I think it needs more work. Breaking and Entering just does not have enough umph or versatility to be playable, especially requiring 2 disciplines.

Seeing Red does too much at basic. Maybe move the press to superior. Curb Stomp isn't bad but should actually connect with the damage for the torpor effect. Your other 2 ideas would like to see presses as damage prevention and additional strikes, not a good idea.

Boris The Blade

I really like the idea behind Chain Grab but instead of giving a manuever it should cancel one attempting to go to long. At superior it should do the same and not allow the opposing minion to attempt any more manuevers and state "If another round of combat occurs, that round is at close range; skip the determine range step for that round".

More
06 Aug 2018 07:34 #89688 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic How to make Potence better?

LivesByProxy
Ok, your list's first point is the most interesting but you don't seem to have much to address that.

I would guess that is mainly due to the fact of very low number of games (really close to none) games actually played so far.

With no hands on experience it is pretty hard to know all the pitfalls when trying to overdo yourself by designing new cards.

Props for trying, but I'd imagine the time would be better spent by actually playing the darn game than trying to designing new cards.

Potence already has interaction with Locations, and I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Yay, Rampage!

Probably one of the worst cards for any discipline. With only inferior effect and one that is just barely better than the ones requiring no discipline (Arson) as with Rampage you get to replace it immediately. So strong! And that is not all my friends! Rampage also features +1 Stealth if you decide to burn your OWN location -borderline broken, eh!?

Seriously, this was a humongous brainfart on the part of the original designers!
It would could be reworded to be semi-useful by having a combat related superior effect.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
07 Aug 2018 11:16 #89745 by Bloodartist

There is no need for philosophical debates. There is no need for new effects that take a wall of text. Just take what the discipline currently does, and make it match the current power level. What does Potence do? Big punches, and break stuff. Why is it not working currently?

That is precisely potence's problem. That is not enough. What it needs is more versatility and less conditional cards. It needs to do more than merely "punch people really hard".

Another issue is that with the way clan disciplines are distributed, potence is rarely paired with other useful disciplines (at least among small/midcap vampires) that might help alleviate its problems.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

The following user(s) said Thank You: LivesByProxy

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds