file First new products are available!

08 May 2018 19:11 #86643 by elotar

No.Spoiling them increased hype.
Every time.

Yea, you are opening unknown box, see it's contents and is excited (if there is something to be excited about). With fixed starters it's one time event when contents are spoiled (generally - online). With random - each time you are opening one.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2018 19:15 - 08 May 2018 19:19 #86644 by elotar

Elotar, do I remember correctly that some months ago you were the one VERY heavily advocating for the LCG format to be adopted to VTES?

You are remembering incorrectly. I hate FFG and all their "inventions" with a passion. :P

There was an idea to use cube draft sets as an distribution model, but after I've made such set for our playgroup I understand, that it doubtfully will work.

Last edit: 08 May 2018 19:19 by elotar.

More
08 May 2018 19:51 #86646 by elotar

bla, bla ...cost effective... bla, bla

Any way to play ccg is not cost effective. :P

More
08 May 2018 20:30 #86648 by Bloodartist

Hard to discuss it online, obviously, but you can make unboxing videos :P

No.Spoiling them increased hype.
Every time.

There is a reason spoiler season before new set prereleases is a thing in Magic the gathering..

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
08 May 2018 22:31 - 08 May 2018 22:33 #86650 by elotar
Let's make mental experiment.

3rd edition. Basic set. There are 100 vampires and 300 library cards.

I would split pool into 5 subsets of 20 V, 24 R, 36 C, making for each a random 2 clan starter with 88 cards (8R 24V 56C).

So from one starter you will got 33% chance to open any particular rare, 1 copy of each vampire and some extras, 1-2 of each commons. By getting 5 boxes you'll got "playset" - 2 copies of each rare, 5 vampires, 7-8 of each common.

At local store it's just 5 different starters with easy to grasp contents ("you want nosferatu - here they are"), which can be sold separately and playable as is, or as a playset of 5 different ones.

How you are going to make the same set of cards available as an LCG?
FFG as I understand uses 60-card packs with 3 copies of the same card. So for 400 card set you would need to have 20(!) such different boxes, each of which is totally useless alone. It looks very unfriendly both for customer and store owner.

Last edit: 08 May 2018 22:33 by elotar.

More
09 May 2018 03:07 #86651 by self biased
Elotar,

If your argument for random booster packs is
"I find opening random packs to be fun." I enjoy gambling and understand that thrill. That's a perfectly valid thing to enjoy! However (and please correct me if i'm wrong), I find your assertion that random booster packs are the better way to distribute a 400 card set for purposes of collection to strain credulity.

Given 100 rares in third edition (as per your example), and thirty-six packs in a booster display, at an absolute best you'd have to buy 3 boxes to get a full set. 11 card boosters * 36 boosters in a box * 3 boxes of product is 1,188 cards. let's round that up to 1200, because it makes the math easier. That's 3 full sets worth of cards. Would you rather spend X rectangles (money) on one full set and whatever leftovers, or three full sets? Your arguments read like
"I don't want to buy useless cards through pre-constructed decks, I'd rather buy them through random packs."

Furthermore, at a $4 price point per 11 pack, you're paying about 36 cents per card. The value offered for a 120 card 'pack' by black chantry sits at about 20 cents per card (before shipping).

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds