file Archeology: Jyhad combat as it can be reconstructed from present time

29 May 2018 01:59 - 29 May 2018 02:06 #87644 by Cat_in_Exile
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but doing a quick look at the TWDA going back to Dec 10th of last year, 5 of the last 15 tournament wins were with what I'd consider combat-oriented decks.

Edit: I'm certainly not with Elotar regarding most of his opinions on the game, but it's not like combat loses either.
Last edit: 29 May 2018 02:06 by Cat_in_Exile.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2018 02:55 #87648 by kschaefer
You can build decks and never include a single red card or only include S:CE and a vast majority of great decks do that. elotar's talking about how combat got buffed because Hand Damage became +Strength. That really has had no impact of making combat better.

More
29 May 2018 05:33 #87650 by Malachy

When a card game is young, its designers rarely have a grasp on the game's overall balance...

The whole story is that they've got fine balance and then destroyed it for the sake of couple idiots, and then for 4 years, having "playtesters" all around the world and all problems completely clear at the table (see req.games.jyhad), was pretending that everything is fine.

However, its the mentality against change that I see as a problem, particularly on these forums. Players have become too stuck with the past. If there are problems with cards, lets fix them/introduce counters/errata problematic cards etc.

It's quite logical, actually - all who was "pro change" already left, we have only crazy fanboys (in their mid 40-s :P ) left, who will not only argue with any change, they, as you can see, are continuing to defend clearly stupid decisions, which are already fixed!

Boy you have issues... I mean, serious, sociological ones. What is your deal? To upset everyone in this forum (all the crazy fanboys in their mid 40s, wtf) because they cannot stand behind your """racional, logical, thought-through reasoning""", which is in my opinion absolutely NOT promotes critical thinking (or thinking at all), but best case scenario an interpretation of how you gathered stuff, how you imagine it to be?

But this alone could stick, I mean who gives a dang, right? But the your arrogance... this utmost superiority you project based on your claim of being what now, racional, logical? And based upon that, you go off insulting the whole playerbase (suggesting they are only here because they are old and bigotted refusing any changes whatsoever, since clearly all the smart ones left due to reasons you've finally found out), AND call the designers of this game dumb... you are calling them names? :cheer: It is almost funny, how you deal with this situation, projecting your unapprehendedness towards all the world, except it is not funny, it is disturbing. I know I know it's my fault why I am reading this forum if I cannot stand such misery (probably I'm stupid and in my mid 40s). Even if I'd be as smart as you are, I wouldn't be calling game designers dumb, dork, and whatever else you used just to prove my point, it's called respect which derives from wisdom.

Anyway I'm not here to educate you, I'm here because I don't like how you form your responses. You could have made an argument without any of your condescension! Everyone has to right to invent any BS they want, but insulting people is not wise, not smart AT ALL, especially in 24-years-time, just because you think you are right.

NC of Hungary

///
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Bloodartist

More
29 May 2018 10:54 - 29 May 2018 10:55 #87670 by elotar

Boy you have issues... you go off insulting the whole playerbase

Actually it's you, who got serious issues.

This was hypothetical thread about some (maybe invented by me) concept of "initial Jyhad combat", because I'm amused with the idea to mentally juggle with the possibilities of it, and have a thought, that maybe somebody else will be too. I even put it into the off-topic forum to not bother "serious people discussing serious issues" (dumping Archon because excel is too hard?).

But somehow this totally academical musings produced so much buthurt in you and several other people, so you made serious effort to troll this thread with picking irrelevant stuff out of context, jump to bullshit conclusions or just inventing points, because, as we found earlier, reading is hard.

Part, where you are calling half a dozen people, trolling anything constructive here, "whole playerbase", is especially amusing.

PS: Insulting people is "bad", but calling a guy, or actually a committee of guys having the "game designer" in their job description, who were looking at ZG+DBR combo for a 4 years and haven't found any problem in it dumb is not an insult - it's objective statement about their mental capabilities.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 29 May 2018 10:55 by elotar.

More
29 May 2018 11:26 - 29 May 2018 11:31 #87673 by elotar

Richard G. has been quoted as saying that he knew there were broken and OP Magic cards released with Alpha (the cards that came to be called 'The Power Nine' among others...) and his response was something like, "Well if it's a niche game, no big deal because everyone will have those cards. If the game is a run-away hit, well... is that really a problem?" (I'm paraphrasing.)

Yes, it was the thought before Alpha, that you can fix powerlevel with rarity, so it was was fine having both Healing Salve (W: gain 3 life) and Ancestral Recall (U: Draw three cards) in one set, if you got one common and other at rare. So maybe somebody will luck into one "power" card, but it will not matter.

But, obviously, it was quickly proven false, and MTG Revised (April 1994) was printed without such crap (35 cards was dropped) and with serious rules revisions (including stack - clear timing rules), I don't know, if there were any banned cards at 1994 mtg world championship, but there was a restricted list for sure.

Jyhad was printed at August 94, VtES at September 95. But they spectacularly failed to even just duplicate what they already have done with their flagship game!

Last edit: 29 May 2018 11:31 by elotar.

More
29 May 2018 11:30 #87674 by elotar

You can build decks and never include a single red card or only include S:CE and a vast majority of great decks do that. elotar's talking about how combat got buffed because Hand Damage became +Strength. That really has had no impact of making combat better.

Learn to read, you missed the point by a mile.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds