file Organizational fan suggestion for WOTC, possible VEKN use?

25 Jan 2012 18:25 #21706 by prunesquallor
It's a common misconception that you only have a problem with copyright laws if you are making money.

In the US at least, if you are infringing upon a registered copyright (submitted to the Library of Congress in advance of the infringement), you can be sued for legal fees plus a small amount of damages, regardless of whether you made any money on it. And you can bet that any copyrights involved in this game are registered.

So, if that's what you are worried about, you are already exposed legally in the US if you believe there are copyrighted materials being used without license or permission. I'm not saying that lawyers are going to be knocking on the doors any moment, because in likelihood it's not worth anyone's time. But in theory you're already exposed, and any traffic generating schemes wouldn't change that.

Are you saying it's against policy for me to include a link to my eBay store in my signature, or even for people to post links to eBay auctions? Those things do generate publicity for outside companies...

I still think that ways that would encourage vendors to send traffic here with ads that they post would be a good thing for VEKN. More ambitious and effective would be if VEKN sold some ad space and used that to buy ads.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2012 21:36 #21719 by Juggernaut1981
Perhaps the VEKN could create a Facebook Page/Group/Profile for people to join, like, add to their own pages, etc. (There are at least three VTES/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle groups there already without covering local area groups or the Origins Group)

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
26 Jan 2012 17:54 #21748 by ReverendRevolver
I think we could be somewhat friendlier to new players, and maybe dumping money into ads would help, but i think other outlets are easier and acceptable to new players, and i think they could be equally as useful for pulling players out of torpor.
I remember how the mtg site used to be set up a few years back. i had several reasons for getting on it, as a player. every new set, i was after spoilers. when i was looking for info on decks, i would check their forums, both for how to strengthen decks and to get tactical advice on archetypes i wasn't familiar with (both playing and beating them, though eventually i'd gotten to a point where i could look @ a decklist and know how to beat it and if there was anything that would completely hose me). and lastly, they had articles. articles for casual players, articles for new players, and articles on theory (well, its mtg, but some articles tried to talk about playing strategy, etc).

but they had articles, and writers paid to write said articles. we're stronger than that, though. i can't even count the number of articles on vtes that i've found very interesting without them even being relevant to me as a player. i think that making those articles easily accessible to players could help us.
i'd be willing to write on areas not already covered, as i'm sure most of our forum users would (we're always spending loads of time talking about the game anyway, all that we'd need for an article is someone to start a thread to become an article, have people talk for a week, then streamline whats covered into an article). but what i think would be important is making these things very visible to anyone even remotely curious, be it old players or newcomers who see the same large group of people from all over the world coming to an event like origins to play a card game.

other ccg's are/can get very expensive. i wont lie, vtes can be, but there is alot we can do (deck building wise) that doesn't break the bank, and for new players or casual players, i think the variety, low cost, and incredible amount of strategy, along with the multiplayer environment, makes us very appealing.

lastly, we have a very complicated game. there is a long learning curve. but that doesn't mean you can't win a tournament with stealthbleed after only playing a day, and that doesn't mean you have to know everything about every card to have fun with multiple decks. and, our players are by and large, incredibly intelligent people. we're all dedicated to keeping our game alive. if we get more new players (and i'm sure we can think of ways) and recover old players, our game will thrive more OOP in some ways than it did in, which i feel would help us alot now and in the future.
we are a community, and thats a powerful thing, especially for people as resourceful as we are.

More
27 Jan 2012 14:24 #21833 by Lönkka

I think we could be somewhat friendlier to new players, and maybe dumping money into ads would help, but i think other outlets are easier and acceptable to new players, and i think they could be equally as useful for pulling players out of torpor.

I hate to be the naysayer but VEKN is a colunteer organization and doesn't have any money... :(

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Jan 2012 15:54 #21836 by brandonsantacruz

Give vendors like me a reason to take out an ad that would direct traffic here instead of to our own sites. A sales portal here, a way to sponsor pages or put ads here, a way for sellers like the Tatus and the DE store and ebay guys like me to make landing pages here that could be the destination page for an ad-word purchase.

Sell ad space on the website and turn around the revenue to use in buying ads that will attract traffic.

I really like this idea. It could be done tastefully and it would help draw more people to the game. Does buying Google "add words" cost much money? Have you noticed it increasing traffic at your business?

To the best of my knowledge, White Wolf, WotC, and WW/CCP did not have a problem with people reselling their VTES card as long as they were legit products. Why should they have a problem with that continuing to happen? Being that the VEKN has some relationship with at least WW/CCP we could ask them first, just to be sure.

I'm picturing links to search results for cards that could be run through this site (i.e. Secret Library box to search for crypt cards like Arika). Once you've searched for her there is what you would get now, plus a link saying "buy copies of Arika" that goes to an Ebay search result for VTES Arika. That may not be direct enough, so you could have "buy from X,Y, or Z" where those are sponsors that have that card.

Does something along those lines sound feasible?

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
27 Jan 2012 18:31 - 27 Jan 2012 18:31 #21852 by KevinM

To the best of my knowledge, White Wolf, WotC, and WW/CCP did not have a problem with people reselling their VTES card as long as they were legit products. Why should they have a problem with that continuing to happen?

We have paid no monies to WotC -- nor to CCP, for that matter -- for any royalty and/or patent charges. Hence, the product that the VEKN is producing is NOT legit.

Being that the VEKN has some relationship with at least WW/CCP we could ask them first, just to be sure.

Now that there is no more VTES product owned by CCP, there is no more relationship between the VEKN and CCP.

In fact, everyone formerly associated with the "legacy" products of WW was fired from CCP in December.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 18:31 by KevinM.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds