file I can translate ALL cards into Portuguese and Spanish for free

17 May 2018 07:04 #87034 by Lönkka
Having cards in different languages is not a problem for MtG players so why should they be for us? MtG even features languages that use different writing systems (chinese, japanese, korean, russian) and apparently sometimes people organize events with such cards no participant can actually read.

No need to leave the card names untranslated (would be a BIG drawback methinks); people will recognize them especially from these nifty things called pictures... ;)

I mean if we now have the means to do translations especially with PoD, by all means let's go overboard! I would assume that doing this shouldn't cost anything extra with PoD...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ffiuza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
17 May 2018 07:05 #87035 by Lönkka

My 2 Euro cents - use one version for Portuguese, if you must.
Don't build two portuguese versions.

I'd be willing to bet that the Latin America version would be preferable as the playerbase is larger and VERY active!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
17 May 2018 08:02 #87044 by Ankha

Having cards in different languages is not a problem for MtG players so why should they be for us? MtG even features languages that use different writing systems (chinese, japanese, korean, russian) and apparently sometimes people organize events with such cards no participant can actually read.

Personnally, it's a reason why I couldn't play MtG tournaments anymore (and I'm not talking about Pro Tour, just small tournaments): I don't know half of the cards, and if I can't read what they do, I'm screwed.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ezra

More
17 May 2018 13:41 #87061 by ffiuza
Thinking of Latin America as a whole, where is less common to see people talking in languages other than Portuguese or Spanish, I am 100% sure that having the cards translated will have a positive impact in the number of players. The example about having people not being able to understand what a card does is part of the reality of that playgroup. Specially for new players. Most new players spent years playing the same deck, because they have to memorize what every single card does.

In recent years a card company called Copag created a horrible CCG called Battle Scenes. We lost many VTES players to that game for the simple reason that it is written entirely in Portuguese. And yes, I will use Brazilian Portuguese.

More
17 May 2018 14:24 #87065 by kschaefer
Can card titles always use English? Perhaps with a translated subtitle (or vice versa). That would mean that the everyone from any language could know what card is being played.

More
17 May 2018 14:44 #87067 by Damnans

Can card titles always use English? Perhaps with a translated subtitle (or vice versa). That would mean that the everyone from any language could know what card is being played.

That was precisely my suggestion.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds