file I can translate ALL cards into Portuguese and Spanish for free

17 May 2018 17:24 #87073 by ffiuza
That is a good idea. Specially because there are people who have prejudice against their own language. Thus, for some people, for reasons that I prefer not to discuss here, playing "Conditioning" is cooler than playing "Condicionamento."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2018 17:42 #87074 by BenPeal

Can card titles always use English? Perhaps with a translated subtitle (or vice versa). That would mean that the everyone from any language could know what card is being played.

Not all V:TES cards have English titles. The Design Team has even deliberately made cards with non-English titles and non-English-standard letters:

www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?lib=2189

I prefer to simply use the same card title for a card, untranslated, across all languages. That way everyone knows which card you're talking about and it's easier to look up a card in the various database tools.

Tangent: "Blood Turnip" doesn't even make sense in English. It'd be funny to see the looks on Brazilian players when they see "Nabo Sanguíneo".

More
17 May 2018 19:47 - 17 May 2018 19:48 #87084 by KzArashi

Tangent: "Blood Turnip" doesn't even make sense in English. It'd be funny to see the looks on Brazilian players when they see "Nabo Sanguíneo".

BenPeal only a little correction. If translated to brazilian portuguese (slang), the correct would be "Naba Sangrenta". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would not have the same meaning as the english, but most brazilian will evade a "Naba Sangrenta" at any cost. ;)

Priest of Rio de Janeiro
:sabbat: !malk! :cel: :obt: :AUS: :OBF: :DEM: :cap7:

My blog: Portal Distant Kingdoms
Facebook: Distant Kingdoms
Youtube: Distant Shore
Last edit: 17 May 2018 19:48 by KzArashi.

More
18 May 2018 06:52 #87106 by Lönkka
Yeah, we get that "English sounds cooler" thing in Finland too.

Which is totally silly!

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
18 May 2018 08:02 #87109 by elotar
The golden idea in this thread is an app, which can translate cards.

We are toying with a Russian localisation and there is can of worms opening by it. It all may be solved, but it surely will take some time.

On the other hand an easy app or web service, where you can enter the name (or even better - scan) and see most recent text in native language, will solve most of the problems fast and cheaply.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
18 May 2018 08:06 - 18 May 2018 08:18 #87110 by Bloodartist

Personnally, it's a reason why I couldn't play MtG tournaments anymore (and I'm not talking about Pro Tour, just small tournaments): I don't know half of the cards, and if I can't read what they do, I'm screwed.

Sidetrack:
You have the right to ask the judge for up-to-date text of a card in a magic tourney. They will likely show it to you on their smartphone. I mean, there are full-art textless versions of cards also..

If you don't know half the cards, yes, it can be troublesome, I'm sure. But it is within your rights.

Yeah, we get that "English sounds cooler" thing in Finland too.

Which is totally silly!

I am guilty of that.. I just think that anything in Finnish is mundane and boring and reminds me of real life. But there is no problem as long as english cards are available.

Funny thing: Tero Aalto from our Helsinki group is an accredited translator, and has made it a principle of not having a single card with english text in his magic commander decks.

Another fun thing he has joked about: "Accredited translator" can be read "accredited bleed bouncer" in Finnish. :) A title he definitely lives up to, btw.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 18 May 2018 08:18 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds