file Knowledge of cards

20 Jan 2012 16:25 - 20 Jan 2012 16:25 #21292 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Knowledge of cards
Whether your browsing a printed document or the internet, I guess it can fall under the following category

5. Tournament Violations
5.1. Cheating

Cheating will not be tolerated. The head judge reviews all cheating allegations, and if he or she determines that a player cheated, the head judge will issue the appropriate penalty based on the V:EKN Penalty Guidelines. All disqualifications are subject to later V:EKN review, and further penalties may be assessed.
Cheating includes, but is not limited to, the following intentional activities:

• Receiving outside assistance or coaching

(browsing the rulebook shouldn't be considered as an outside assistance, rather an in-game assistance).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 20 Jan 2012 16:25 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2012 17:23 #21298 by jamesatzephyr

So, could I be super wasteful and print out a hardcopy of every card that exists and check that instead? This would be WAY slower than a smartphone search. Or, more extremely, can print out the TWDA?

Any research like this may fall foul of Slow Play rules. In extremis, possibly Stalling rules or Sportsmanship.

More
20 Jan 2012 20:18 #21305 by Juggernaut1981
Personally, as a Judge, I wouldn't mind if someone did use a smartphone to rsearch something during the game BUT, unless it was something trivial like updated card text from rulings, I would like to be called over as Judge to basically say "Yes, that's how it work. Add 2 min to the end of your game."

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
20 Jan 2012 20:25 #21307 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Knowledge of cards

In my opinion, players should not be allowed to do ANY KIND of research during the game -- only judges.

It's unfortunate that the world is this way, but even if 99% of players have only good intentions when trying to research cards via a mobile device, there will be that 1% who will do it to waste time or scour the TWDA for potential hints about the deck. It should be prohibited completely except by judges who are researching for a particular situation in a game. Hard and fast rule makes it fair for all.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
20 Jan 2012 21:14 - 20 Jan 2012 21:15 #21310 by Hakuron
Replied by Hakuron on topic Re: Knowledge of cards

Now, this brings me to my person pet peeve - I hate scouting other people's decks at tournaments. If you're ousted, don't go watch the other tables with the intent to discover what each other player is playing that day. It would be nice if there was a Loser's Lounge, where ousted players could hang out, away from active games, until the next round started. If you figure out what I'm playing WHILE playing against me, cool, use that knowledge in future rounds, but please don't tell the rest of the tournament what my deck's surprise is today.

Scouting bothers me because the knowledge exchange isn't reciprocal - you find out what I'm playing, but I don't learn anything about your tricks.

For me, watching the game at other tables when you are no longer playing is part of the atmosphere at a tournament (another similarity to chess) and perfectly okay with me, as long as everybody is following the course of the game in general.
I agree with you that SPYING by looking permantly at my hand from behind is a nuisance.

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
Last edit: 20 Jan 2012 21:15 by Hakuron.

More
20 Jan 2012 21:30 #21312 by KevinM
Replied by KevinM on topic Re: Knowledge of cards

Scouting bothers me because the knowledge exchange isn't reciprocal - you find out what I'm playing, but I don't learn anything about your tricks.

It shouldn't bother you under the circumstances that you describe, because if you have no time to scout, it's likely that you're getting VPs in every game, and the ones scouting aren't, so who cares about them? You'll likely oust them just like everyone else has been ousting them. ;)

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds