file Cutting prey's deck.

23 Jan 2012 02:51 #21495 by etherial
Replied by etherial on topic Re: Cutting prey's deck.

You'd call a judge if someone counted your crypt cards?

This does become an issue sometimes in certain decks (Turbo Baron, Tupdog). I do not believe that other players have the right to know how many cards are in or are left in your library or crypt, so yes I would call a judge. And if this is allowable (which I don't think it would be), I'd ask to count the cards of everyone's crypt and everyone's library.

Certainly by any reasonable definition of "public knowledge", the number of cards you've drawn, discarded, and played is public knowledge, and thus the minimum number of cards left in your Crypt and Library is public knowledge, as is the maximum number of cards left in your Library. Given that the number of cards left in your Library is a limited game resource (that can result in your leaving the game via Brinksmanship or Withdrawal), I see no reason to question its inclusion in the tournament rules under "public knowledge".

Non-Camarilla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2012 04:44 #21497 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Cutting prey's deck.
I have heard that you cannot count the number of cards in a player's library, including your own.

Is that true?

More
23 Jan 2012 05:52 #21500 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: Cutting prey's deck.
Search for "public" in the tournament rules.

Public Information: Refers to information that is available to all players in the game, such as statistics or card text that participants are required to share with tournament officials and opponents according to the rules of the game. For example a player's pool the number of cards in a player's library is public information.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
23 Jan 2012 12:26 #21513 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Cutting prey's deck.

You'd call a judge if someone counted your crypt cards?

After the quoted section of the rulebook I wouldn't call the judge anymore. It seems the info is public, period. Counting the crypt can give you some information and a little advantage. But that shouldn't be that decisive fot the game.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
23 Jan 2012 12:51 #21519 by Juggernaut1981
Again, as a Judge, I don't mind the total number of cards being known. I don't care if a player asks another player "How many cards are in your crypt?" and one player counts them out in front of the other if needed.

BUT

If you are someone's predator and just begin examining/counting their cards and scrutinising them (rather than just taking them in your hands and cutting them into two piles and placing the lower one on top of the upper one), then as a Judge, I'd want to know about it. It seems suspicious, it seems dodgey and for your benefit and mine, I'd want to eliminate the impression that someone might be cheating or that you as a player were trying to see if another player was cheating.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
23 Jan 2012 16:18 #21529 by ReverendRevolver
regardless of perceived cheating, intimidating, and/or minor advantages, i truly only see one enormous problem with this issue: Time.

if everyone in scrutinizing their prey's deck/crypt instead of just cutting, its going to make rounds start later than intended. it might sound trivial, and @ a large event (championships, for example) everyone is there to play for a large amount of time. but @ a 2r+final event, it could add an unnecessary amount of time to everything.

if somethings public knowledge, i've never been shy about sharing it. the # of cards in my crypt if playing a deck of non-uniques, the # of cards in my library if i'm playing a slimmed down deck, and obviously the contents of my ash heap are public knowledge. but other than the ash heap (because seeing the actual cards and not just the backs would be public knowledge), i don't see why anyone would need to count or scrutinize, just handle to shuffle or cut.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds