file The Jones, interrupting TV or not ?

18 May 2012 12:07 #30690 by Juggernaut1981
@James:
And once again I marvel at the 'logic' LSJ used at times.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 12:15 #30691 by Chaitan
weird ruling that contradict;

1.4. The Golden Rule for Cards

Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence.

Guess it should be rewritten to;

Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence except for rulebook:1.6.1.5

More
18 May 2012 13:09 - 18 May 2012 13:10 #30694 by Ankha

It would be clearer if the "As announced" window kept the same name across different cards.

If you look at the rulebook, actions are "taken"/"declared"/"announced", and strike are "chosen". It makes sense that Target Vitals states "as the strike is chosen" instead of "as the strike is announced" because of the "Choose Strike" step in the rulebook.
Anyway, the choice of words doesn't really matter since they are all synonyms in the game. You can't modify a strike (with T:V) that is cancelled, no more than you can modify an action (with Seduction or any modifier) that is cancelled.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 18 May 2012 13:10 by Ankha.

More
18 May 2012 13:13 #30695 by Ankha

@James:
And once again I marvel at the 'logic' LSJ used at times.

On the contrary, it's more logical that all cancellation effects follow the same steps, rather than introducing an exception for strikes.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
18 May 2012 13:19 - 18 May 2012 13:28 #30697 by Reyda

The Jones is played as the strike card is played (before the Target Vitals
is played). Like using DI to cancel a Govern with Seduction.

Thanks for the link, funny thing I picked up the same example as LSJ.

Yeah It's funny because nobody plays those cards together !!

Whenever the cards contradict the rules, the cards take precedence except for rulebook:1.6.1.5

I hope my coworkers didn't hear me laughing so loud but yeah, seconded :silly:

Well thanks James for providing the link to the correct answer :)

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
Last edit: 18 May 2012 13:28 by Reyda.

More
18 May 2012 14:03 - 18 May 2012 14:13 #30700 by jamesatzephyr

Not really. Not many cards screw with sequencing, but when they do they override the sequencing rules as normal. Deep Song changes who goes first in every timing window. Rapid Thought does it for one specific window.

However, a lot more cards 'define' a timing window (such as "as the action is announced", "when the block is successful" or "before range is chosen"). We then need to know what order those timing windows occur in. 1.6.1.5 is only ever about ordering effects in a given timing window - it doesn't let you rush ahead to a different timing window, or deny a player an opportunity to use an effect in this timing window. (Though you can prevent them from doing so indirectly - their before range card costs blood, you make them lose blood before range with Weather Control, they can't play it.)

The issue basically boils down to whether "as the card is played" comes before "as the strike is chosen", or whether they're the same thing (or maybe some other option I don't care about).

The same issue comes up with whether you announce an action when you play an action card (and so can play "As the action is announced" modifiers right then) or whether you play the card, wait for DI (or other cancellation), then announce the action.

The outcome is: the two work in the same way. Playing a card is a mini-step before "announce the action" or "choose the strike". So you get to cancel the card as it is played, before you move on to the "the strike is chosen" and "the action is announced" timing windows.

One benefit to this is that you don't end up with some hideous stack-like outcome, where I've played three modifiers on my action, or several "as the strike is chosen" actions on my strike, and then get my opponent asking if they can play a cancellation card.
Last edit: 18 May 2012 14:13 by jamesatzephyr.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds