file How does "Resilient Mind" work?

18 May 2012 21:12 #30725 by Surreal

But how about "negating" the >cancel< effect when played by the opposing vampire in combat?

I don't understand, could you post an example?

I think the situation is if you want to play Scourge of Alecto and opposing minion plays Bliss to cancel the frenzy card. Can you then use Resilient Mind to be immune to the effects of Bliss (so can you be immune of the cancelling effect)? I guess you can't do this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2012 21:18 - 18 May 2012 21:19 #30726 by Hakuron
Sorry, of course:
Let's assume Uchenna with Resilient Mind on her just entered combat with Anson. She starts with the frenzy card Devil Channel: Hands. Anson plays Bliss inferior to cancel it.
Can Uchenna "activate" Resilient Mind to not let Bliss cancel the Devil Channel: Hands?

Edit: Did not see the first, similar reply.

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de
Last edit: 18 May 2012 21:19 by Hakuron.

More
19 May 2012 06:57 #30736 by Hakuron
Just looked through the library cards that read "immune" in their text.
Usually, these cards read "immune to non-aggravated damage" or "immune to frenzy cards".
"immune to the effect" is found on three Gehenna events, but focussed a single effect.

Resilient Mind is the only card that provides "immune to the effect" of multiple cards.
This special somehow reminds me on the "Circle of Protection: XYZ" thing in Magic: TG, which I have never fully understood ...
:whistle:

@ Pascal: It would be great to have an addition to the rules terms since "immune" is only found on cards.
(Or is it somewhere and I just could not find it?)

:tore:

National Coordinator Germany
nc [dot] germany [at] magenta [dot] de

More
19 May 2012 11:10 - 19 May 2012 11:10 #30747 by Boris The Blade
According to LSJ's ruling, dodging makes you immune to thz opponent's strike. There is also Karen Suadela who is not affected by Gehenna cards, which is arguably the same as being immune.
Last edit: 19 May 2012 11:10 by Boris The Blade.

More
19 May 2012 12:19 - 19 May 2012 12:21 #30752 by Pascal Bertrand

The text of "Resilient Mind" sounds rather nice ...

Resilient Mind
:action: :FOR:

+1 stealth action.
:for: Put this card on the acting vampire. When another minion plays an action or combat card that requires Dementation [dem] , Dominate [dom] , Obeah [obe] or Serpentis [ser] , this vampire can burn 1 blood to be immune to the effects of that card.
:FOR: As above, and this vampire untaps at the end of this action.

... but what does "to be immune to the effects" mean?

It's easier to refer to other cards to get examples.
- Anaesthetic touch: You don't get punched (but the combat still ends)
- Catatonic Fear: You don't take 1 damage after combat
- Coma (superior): You don't go to torpor, and the card doesn't go on you.

Okay, e.g. the vampire with this card could burn 1 :blood: to be immune against "Mind Rape" played with :DOM: for example, but could he also be immune against the combat ends >effect< of "Bliss" played with :DOM: :PRE: ??

Mind Rape: correct (and Mind Rape would be burned).
Bliss: Can burn 1 blood, but being immune to a combat ends won't continue combat - combat will still end. [LSJ 20040729] for an example.

Regarding having "immune" in the rulebook: It's quite tricky. There are many things you can be immune to, mainly damage and effects. Definition for damage is simple, but since "effects" isn't in the rulebook either, it won't make sense to have "immune" there without "effects".
Last edit: 19 May 2012 12:21 by Pascal Bertrand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hakuron

More
20 May 2012 13:41 #30787 by ReverendRevolver
so what about penitent resilience at either combat wording? flash grenades do not have any "effect" on the vampire, so does that mean they don't tap and skip an untap or does it mean the strike doesn't have any effect?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds