file target minion protection and out of turn action sequence

09 Jul 2012 10:32 - 09 Jul 2012 10:33 #32932 by jamesatzephyr

It means that you can't use Heidelberg before the first action in the turn. Invert a) and b), and it means you can't use it after.

That should not be a problem in practice since you can use Heidelberg during the Master or Influence phases.

It's a 'problem' in as much as it changes who can respond, when. If my prey taps Heidelberg during my master phase, I may now respond by whacking the relevant vampire with Pentex Subversion (having previously - riskily - opted not to play a card).

This isn't an actual problem - just something people would have to plan around.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 10:33 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:40 - 09 Jul 2012 10:44 #32936 by Ankha

[LSJ 20090123]

Considering this link, the current ruling clearly uses two imbricated sequences, which is not a great thing imho (see my reasons in my previous post).

The ruling is also a little counter-intuitive in the following case:

A is the acting Methuselah. B has the Heidelberg and an Enkil Cog.
A passes the impulse (no action). B can use The Barrens, but go figure why B can't use the Heidelberg before performing his action with Enkil. He should have used it before A passes, which is not intuitive because we're not "during an action" yet so using the Heidelberg seems legal.

The intuitive thing would be that once you have the impulse, you can do all the legal stuff (including using the Heidelberg before starting an action).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 10:44 by Ankha.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:50 - 09 Jul 2012 10:51 #32937 by jamesatzephyr

[LSJ 20090123]

Considering this link, the current ruling clearly uses two imbricated sequences, which is not a great thing imho (see my reasons in my previous post).

It's pretty much exactly how everyone I've ever seen plays it.

"Are you tapping Heidelberg? [pass] Okay, I declare..."

Preserving the completely non-troublesome status quo? Great, great thing.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 10:51 by jamesatzephyr.

More
09 Jul 2012 11:23 #32938 by Ankha

[LSJ 20090123]

It's pretty much exactly how everyone I've ever seen plays it.

"Are you tapping Heidelberg? [pass] Okay, I declare..."

Preserving the completely non-troublesome status quo? Great, great thing.

Which leads to:

A: "I pass."
B: "Before I act with X under Enkil Cog, I tap Heidelberg to..."
A: "No, it's too late, I've passed."
B: "Yes, now I have the impulse, so I use Heidelberg"
A: "No you can't, it's too late. But you may tap Barrens if you wish."

Prince of Paris, France

More
09 Jul 2012 13:23 - 09 Jul 2012 13:45 #32941 by jamesatzephyr

Which leads to:

Huh? A passing in the 'between actions' phase passes the impulse to B to tap Heidelberg. There is no way for A to pass in the between actions phase without the others getting the chance to use it! (Including C, D and E.)

If A and B (and the others) have already passed in the between actions phase, A's extra pass at the top of your dialog is redundant (and erroneous, but not harmfully so). If B hasn't already passed, B can use the impulse to use Heidelberg when he gets it.

A cannot unilaterally close a timing window. Just like A cannot rush ahead to maneuvers when B wants to play pre-range, or A wants to rush ahead to polling when B wants to play something before votes are cast.

If what you mean is "B already said "I'm not using Heidelberg before the next action"" and now you want B to be able to reverse that decision, that's... not how sequencing works. Sequencing doesn't allow you to voluntarily reverse decisions. And after B tapped Heidelberg, the impulse would revert to A, by the standard sequencing rules. Letting B use an effect and keep the impulse is not 'intuitive', it's putting the sequencing rules through an industrial shredder.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 13:45 by jamesatzephyr.

More
09 Jul 2012 14:02 #32943 by Ankha

Which leads to:

Huh? A passing in the 'between actions' phase passes the impulse to B to tap Heidelberg. There is no way for A to pass in the between actions phase without the others getting the chance to use it! (Including C, D and E.)

I meant that A was passing his opportunity to declare an action. So the full sequence is

A: "I pass in-between actions".
All pass
A: "I pass [my opportunity to declare an action]"
then the rest of the previous scenario.

If A and B (and the others) have already passed in the between actions phase, A's extra pass at the top of your dialog is redundant (and erroneous, but not harmfully so).

No, A must pass if A has the impulse to declare actions but no action to declare. How is it redundant or erroneous?

A cannot unilaterally close a timing window. Just like A cannot rush ahead to maneuvers when B wants to play pre-range, or A wants to rush ahead to polling when B wants to play something before votes are cast.

Sure, but you have to go back to the previous impulse sequence, which can lead to complicated mess because another whole impulse sequence has already taken place.

If what you mean is "B already said "I'm not using Heidelberg before the next action"" and now you want B to be able to reverse that decision, that's... not how sequencing works. Sequencing doesn't allow you to voluntarily reverse decisions.

Indeed, but having two impulse sequences can lead to some mess, such as not being able to use Heidelberg while there's no action going on.
I don't find it very intuitive.

Letting B use an effect and keep the impulse is not 'intuitive', it's putting the sequencing rules through an industrial shredder.

That's exactly what is currently happening when you declare an action and create a sub-impulse sequence to determine if anyone plays a DI or not. If noone does, B "keeps" the (first) impulse and goes on.

Prince of Paris, France

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds