file target minion protection and out of turn action sequence

09 Jul 2012 05:54 #32912 by Juggernaut1981
Why do we have to make this as complicated as it seems like people are intending it to be?

At worst, could we amend the CRR to have some nice clear examples of how to apply the Sequencing Rules.

OR... create another simple effect...

"Effect Declaration"
If players wish to use some between-action effects (such as Heidelberg Casstle, Germany) then immediately after an action resolves and before the declaration of the next action (the Methuselah of the current Minion Phase must wait for these declarations to be made), those players must declare their intention to use an effect. The normal Sequencing Rule is then applied to the order of those effects.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2012 07:01 - 09 Jul 2012 07:03 #32914 by Ankha

Why do we have to make this as complicated as it seems like people are intending it to be?

At worst, could we amend the CRR to have some nice clear examples of how to apply the Sequencing Rules.

OR... create another simple effect...

"Effect Declaration"
If players wish to use some between-action effects (such as Heidelberg Casstle, Germany) then immediately after an action resolves and before the declaration of the next action (the Methuselah of the current Minion Phase must wait for these declarations to be made), those players must declare their intention to use an effect. The normal Sequencing Rule is then applied to the order of those effects.

Because it breaks the current Sequencing / Impulse rule.
Currently, whether a phase/step is over is detected by the fact that everyone passes the Impulse.
Introducing an effect like this means that everyone must pass the impulse twice in order to end the phase (first time to end "in between actions", second time to end "declare actions").

The simplest thing would be to divide "declare actions" in two steps:
- before the action is taken (with its own impulse)
- declare the action (or declining to do so)

Leading to the following scenarios:

A: "I'm going to perform an action. I don't have anything before, do you use your Heidelberg Castle?"
B: "Yes <doing some stuff>"
A: "Ok. Anyone else?"
All passes
A: "Now bleeding for 3" or "No action at all, I pass"

Other scenario:
A: "Ok I'm done with my actions."
B: (getting the impulse). "Ok, I use Heidelberg now. Anyone else has something to do before I start my action?"
All passes
B: "ok, I pass (no action)"

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 07:03 by Ankha.

More
09 Jul 2012 08:58 #32915 by jamesatzephyr

@Pascal - please can you put the 'between actions impulse' in the rules rather than relying on a ruling. I don't think it's very clear from section 1.6.1 (5) Sequencing how this works.

I'll give it a try, but I'm afraid I'll have to write down something like 'There are two impulses during the minion phase'. I'll try to get a clean formulation.

I'm not sure why this is more difficult than, for example, a series of combat steps.

Your minion phase consists of:
a) declare an action - sequence as normal - then
b) between actions - sequence as normal
Repeat until everyone passes.

On a point of naming, 'impulse' originally started out as being the term for identifying the player who can currently play the next effect. A has the impulse, A passes, B has the impulse, B plays a card, the impulse goes back to A.

Using 'impulse' to mean something like 'phase' or 'step' loses that useful clarity.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:12 - 09 Jul 2012 10:18 #32921 by Ankha

@Pascal - please can you put the 'between actions impulse' in the rules rather than relying on a ruling. I don't think it's very clear from section 1.6.1 (5) Sequencing how this works.

I'll give it a try, but I'm afraid I'll have to write down something like 'There are two impulses during the minion phase'. I'll try to get a clean formulation.

I'm not sure why this is more difficult than, for example, a series of combat steps.

It means that you can't use Heidelberg before the first action in the turn. Invert a) and b), and it means you can't use it after.

I prefer a nested impulse sequence of "complex" steps (A), rather than multiple impulse sequences in a row of "simple" steps (B).

(A) being: during the phase, the impulse goes round between players only once (when all players have passed, the phase is over). A player with the Impulse can do X, X being a complex things which can have impulse sequences in it (such as my proposal. X being composed of an "before action" impulse sequence, then a "declare action" step)

(B) being: during the phase, the impulse goes round between players. A player with the Impulse can do S, a simple thing. When everyone has passed, then another impulse goes round so players can do S'. Then... (James' and Andrew's proposal)

The problem with (B) is that you can easily lose track of which sequence of impulse you're in if there's more than 2 sequences in a row, and that each player must pass as many times as there's a sequence so the phase is over.

(A) is already used in plenty of cases, especially the "DI" step. When someone announces an action, the first step is to check if anyone wants to DI/cancel it, using an impulse sequence.
Similary, we can imagine than before announcing the action, there's a step for "between actions" effects using an impulse sequence.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Jul 2012 10:18 by Ankha.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:29 #32928 by Boris The Blade

It means that you can't use Heidelberg before the first action in the turn. Invert a) and b), and it means you can't use it after.

That should not be a problem in practice since you can use Heidelberg during the Master or Influence phases.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:30 #32931 by jamesatzephyr

It means that you can't use Heidelberg before the first action in the turn.

Correct.

[LSJ 20090123]

You could use it during the master phase, if you wanted.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds