file "As Played" Window Ruling Contradictions?

31 Jul 2012 12:25 - 31 Jul 2012 13:00 #34014 by er-principe

Do cards stating "do not replace until" lead to some misunderstandings too?

Of course no, as card text is explicit and clear about when to replace , and also golden rule says that the card takes precedence

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 13:00 by er-principe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 12:40 #34015 by Pendargon
I think nc-italy has a point.
Main rulebook does state "immediately". That causes confusion, as immediately (at least to me), means IMMEDIATELY, not "immediately after people refuse to play DI or otherwise cancel your card, and as-played window closes".

I understand the ruling, and the need for it. Just, maybe it would be neat to trim up and update main rulebook a bit, or vice-versa?

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Megabaja

More
31 Jul 2012 13:39 #34021 by jamesatzephyr

About "you play a card" rulebook also states:Drawing Cards. Whenever you play a library card from your hand, you immediately draw another from your library to replace it

"immediately" lead to some misunderstandings given the other rule cited ("cancel as it played") in the timing window "as played"

The rulebook seems pretty straightforward on the issue.

1.6.1.1 - play the card, announce the effect.
1.6.1.1+a-bit - potentially cancel the card, and you haven't replaced the card yet
1.6.1.2 - replace the card

Described in that order, happens in that order. The special exception is described right up front, before you've even been told how or when to replace cards.

The "immediately" means "don't wait until the end of the action or some other time". It doesn't mean "ignore the previous sentence which explicitly tells you it happens before this"!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
31 Jul 2012 14:44 - 31 Jul 2012 14:46 #34024 by er-principe

About "you play a card" rulebook also states:Drawing Cards. Whenever you play a library card from your hand, you immediately draw another from your library to replace it

"immediately" lead to some misunderstandings given the other rule cited ("cancel as it played") in the timing window "as played"

The rulebook seems pretty straightforward on the issue.

1.6.1.1 - play the card, announce the effect.
1.6.1.1+a-bit - potentially cancel the card, and you haven't replaced the card yet
1.6.1.2 - replace the card

I won't dig in text quoting, but those point are not text rulebook but what you're extrapolating from the general context
I've already quoted actual text stating that you replace immediadely the card whenever you play one, which can lead to misunderstandings if confronted with rule sentenced above in the rulebook

The "immediately" means "don't wait until the end of the action or some other time". It doesn't mean "ignore the previous sentence which explicitly tells you it happens before this"!

Immediately means immediately and rulebook text is crystal clear on that

As long as the rule is clear enough and not in potential contradiction with some other part of the rules i'm fine, imho this is not the case and i'm pointing this for Pascal

best

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 14:46 by er-principe.

More
31 Jul 2012 15:06 - 31 Jul 2012 15:07 #34025 by jamesatzephyr

I've already quoted actual text stating that you replace immediadely the card whenever you play one, which can lead to misunderstandings if confronted with rule sentenced above in the rulebook

Which is immediately preceded by text telling you to wait for cancel effects.

Playing Cards. There are four main types of library cards: convictions, master cards, minion cards and event cards. Convictions are put in play during the untap phase (see details in the Imbued Rules appendix); master cards are played by Methuselahs; minion cards are played by the minions (vampires and allies) the Methuselahs control; event cards are put into play during the discard phase to represent events that affects the World of Darkness as a whole (see section 8). Master cards have no icon at the top of the attribute bar while the other cards have an icon there that indicates what type of card it is. A card is played by placing it face up in the playing area or by showing it to the other players and placing it face up in the ash heap. The player completely declares the effect of the card when it is played.

Some effects can cancel a card "as it is played." These effects (and effects that grant the ability to play them, like Forced Awakening) are the only effects allowed during the "as played" time period of another card. Even drawing to replace cards comes after this time period.

Drawing Cards. Whenever you play a library card from your hand, you immediately draw another from your library to replace it (unless card text says otherwise, of course).
If your library is empty, then you do not draw to replenish your hand, but you continue to play. The number of cards in your hand should always match your hand size (cards that are replaced later reduce your hand size for the duration of the effect). Whenever they don't match (when an effect changes your hand size or adds or removes cards from your hand, for example), immediately discard down to or draw up to your hand size.

This is not infering anything from context. It's actually reading the words that are there and not selectively quoting them.

Play card.
Cancel happens before replace. This is explained before you're ever told to replace anything.
Now replace - but you've just been told this happens after cancellation. In the immediately preceeding sentence. Go-go gadget attention span!

The moral is: don't take sentences in a random order. Actually read the whole section.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2012 15:07 by jamesatzephyr.

More
31 Jul 2012 20:06 #34043 by Megabaja
Give guy a break. He read it correct. You are the one who quoted and marked one and a half of other section.

And I agree that term immediately means "right away". If cards are not replaced immediately all the time, that term should not describe time of replacement. In fact word immediately is obsolete in a given marked sentence, and meaning is the same if you erase the word. And more accurate, I might add.

Ignorance is bliss.
Cypher, Matrix

:trub:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pendargon

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds