file Re: Blood to Water clarification

03 Sep 2020 16:26 - 03 Sep 2020 16:26 #100682 by self biased

if I understand correctly Rémi question, he wanted to know if the following situation was legal :
Round 1 play IG
Press
Round 2, range is automatically close
Play BtW as a before range.

And I am pretty sure it is an illegal play.

When can Blood to Water be played and when does the oposite minion burns the blood?

LSJ: "It can be played any time after range is determined and before
strikes resolve, and only if the range is close."
groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/JUnIGIrb3pw/EOo-cGykdmYJ

The effect is immediate (either burning blood or burning the ally).

1st - Blood to Water states that it can only be used at close range and must be used before strike resolution so, it must be played during the strike selection step.

No, it can be played at other moments:

www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/78713-blood-of-water-timing-before-strike-resolution#100237

- If the [acting] minion plays [Blood to Water] before he chooses his strike the opposing minion will have to burn his blood before he can choose he's strike?

It is possible.

- Can the opposing minion play [Blood to Water] before the [acting] minion selects his strike forcing the [acting] minion to burn blood before he is able to choose his strike?

It is possible.

Last edit: 03 Sep 2020 16:26 by self biased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rémi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2020 12:51 #100690 by Timo

if I understand correctly Rémi question, he wanted to know if the following situation was legal :
Round 1 play IG
Press

When can Blood to Water be played and when does the oposite minion burns the blood?

LSJ: "It can be played any time after range is determined and before
strikes resolve, and only if the range is close."
groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/JUnIGIrb3pw/EOo-cGykdmYJ

The effect is immediate (either burning blood or burning the ally).

1st - Blood to Water states that it can only be used at close range and must be used before strike resolution so, it must be played during the strike selection step.

No, it can be played at other moments:

www.vekn.net/forum/rules-questions/78713-blood-of-water-timing-before-strike-resolution#100237

- If the [acting] minion plays [Blood to Water] before he chooses his strike the opposing minion will have to burn his blood before he can choose he's strike?

It is possible.

- Can the opposing minion play [Blood to Water] before the [acting] minion selects his strike forcing the [acting] minion to burn blood before he is able to choose his strike?

It is possible.

OK, I see nothing here that says that you can play BtW as a before range.

If I look closely in the googlegroups threads quoted here, the only thing that say that is :

It can be played any time after range is determined and before
strikes resolve, and only if the range is close.

It cannot be played before range is determined (that is, it can
only be played if range is set to close)

The problem I have with this is the fact that elsewhere it is stated quite clearly (I think) :

> If range has been determined to be close as a result of a pre, can you
> play Immortal Prapple(and the like) in the pre-range step?

No.

So which ruling should we follow ?

More
05 Sep 2020 13:32 #100691 by Yomyael
Even though there is text in the brackets saying, that BtW can only be played if range is set to close, the sentence before states explicitly, that you can't play it before range is determined. So you have to wait until the "before range is determined" window is closed.

From the LSJ quoted earlier in this topic:

> If range is set as a pre. Is it fair to say, "range has been
> determined"?
No.

> Or do you have to wait for the Determine Range Step to be passed,
> whither skipped or not.
You finish "before range stuff" before moving on.

So ecen though range is set, it is not yet determined, since you are in the before range is determined step. This is weird I think, but that's what it is.

Prince of Bonn, Germany

More
06 Sep 2020 12:41 #100703 by Timo

Even though there is text in the brackets saying, that BtW can only be played if range is set to close, the sentence before states explicitly, that you can't play it before range is determined. So you have to wait until the "before range is determined" window is closed.

From the LSJ quoted earlier in this topic:

> If range is set as a pre. Is it fair to say, "range has been
> determined"?
No.

> Or do you have to wait for the Determine Range Step to be passed,
> whither skipped or not.
You finish "before range stuff" before moving on.

So ecen though range is set, it is not yet determined, since you are in the before range is determined step. This is weird I think, but that's what it is.

I see it as you say but I think several people in this thread have interpreted it differently.

More
06 Sep 2020 13:18 #100704 by Snodig
I’ve messed up in this thread. I thought the question was more general, and forgot to actually check the text on Blood to Water.

It is played after pre-maneuvers. I’m really sorry for the confusion! It’s as yomyael says.

More
10 Sep 2020 07:41 - 10 Sep 2020 07:51 #100733 by Ankha

So if I play superior Immortal Grapple during round 1.
I can play Blood to Water during the "before range is chosen" window.

No.

I thought some link above stated that immortal grapple couldn't be played in the before range phase ? (and so it would be the same for BtW ?)

Correct.

As Igor points out, Immortal Grapple is played after range is set, before strikes are chosen.

Correct.

The question was "can I play a pre-maneuver in round two, if immortal grapple was played in round one and the range is automatically set (by IG)?".
And yes, you can. You can also do the same if range is set by Sniper Rifle, or any other effect that skips the maneuver step.

No, the question was: "since the range is set in round 2, can I play BtW in the pre-maneuver step". The answer is: no.

>
> If range has been determined to be close as a result of a pre, can you
> play Immortal Prapple(and the like) in the pre-range step?

No.

This seems quite explicit to me.

Never mind that the range is set to close, you can't play an IG in pre-range.

So accordingly, I think that blood to Water works the same and can't be played in the pre-range windows no matter what.

Correct.

Round 1 play IG
Press

It's illegal.

To sum it up: if an effect sets the range and causes the "determine range" step to be skipped, the range is not determined until after the "pre-maneuver" step. Therefore, cards such as Immortal Grapple or Blood to Water that must be played at a given range cannot be played during the "pre-maneuver" step.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 10 Sep 2020 07:51 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rémi, beslin igor

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds