file Diverse Temporis cards.

20 Sep 2011 15:00 #10633 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Diverse Temporis cards.
It has something to do with this, so I'll ask here:

Pascal, what is your opinion on the concept of "impulse" and its introduction in the rules, specifically and literally?

For instance, in this present case:
"The acting Methuselah declares the action and all action modifiers or effects that have the "when action is declared" clause. Impulse passes clockwise and other Methuselahs may play or use effects that are in the "when action is declared" window.
After all players declining Impulse, the action continues to..."

In my opinion Impulse solves allot of rules issues and confusions.
I might be wrong.
But that's what I get from demos to new players. Much easier for them to understand the timing of the game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 16:02 #10635 by Pascal Bertrand
It's a great game mechanic.

Its major drawback, though, in my opinion is that it makes an online game "close to real game" almost impossible. Would you want to click 6 times on "Pass" when someone plays Govern + Conditioning? (1 "as played", 1 "as announced", 1 "block attempt", 1 "as conditioning is played", 1 "before resolution", 1 "after resolution" - and that was without combat)

Of course, there are ways to circumvene this.

Another issue is that, when a Malk starts acting via Madness Network, players get confused.

More
20 Sep 2011 18:57 #10638 by Brum

It's a great game mechanic.

Its major drawback, though, in my opinion is that it makes an online game "close to real game" almost impossible. Would you want to click 6 times on "Pass" when someone plays Govern + Conditioning? (1 "as played", 1 "as announced", 1 "block attempt", 1 "as conditioning is played", 1 "before resolution", 1 "after resolution" - and that was without combat)

Of course, there are ways to circumvene this.

Another issue is that, when a Malk starts acting via Madness Network, players get confused.

For online gaming you can change the rules to suit playability.
Thankfully, our core business is NOT online gaming, like those <insert insult here> guys at CCP say when they are out of arguments about dropping physical formats. ;)

About Madness Network:
Impulse actually help me explain how that card worked to neonates and they got it at first.

"Like every other phase, the acting player has impulse, uses it, and it passes clockwise. If by any chance someone else can play or use effects during the Minion Phase of another Acting Player, he can use them as he gets the Impulse.
Examples, Untapped :malk: can act via Madness Network, you can choose to tap your Dreams or the Coven, etc."

More
20 Sep 2011 19:28 #10641 by Pascal Bertrand
No, the issues to consider are:
- Do you play that Direct Intervention?
You should get that opportunity if you have the card in your hand.

Now, the question is: should you mandatorily pass without being able to bluff, when someone plays Parity Shift, if you don't have the Direct Intervention in your hand? Should you mandatorily not have a blocking opportunity if you have no wakes in your hand?

This whole game whithold a major bluff part, which would surely be removed if we stick to "cards and effects you have determine cards and effects you can use".

More
20 Sep 2011 21:34 - 20 Sep 2011 21:38 #10647 by Brum
Right now (without any changes in the rules):
Scenario A:
I play Parity Shift.
I ask all players if anyone wants to DI.
All say no.
Before blocks, people talk and negotiation ensues.
If any other player, dislikes the way the conversation is going, can he still play DI (assuming no other cards or effects were used)?

Scenario B:
I play Parity Shift.
I ask all players if anyone wants to DI.
All say no.
I play Seduction.
People can only DI the Seduction, right?

EDIT:
Sorry for the off-topic.
Maybe this whole Impulse thing should have its own topic.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 21:38 by Brum.

More
20 Sep 2011 22:51 #10648 by Juggernaut1981
I always advise my new players to avoid making definitive statements until the last moment.

In your DI & Parity Shift scenario, I'd advocate two things:
1) Never say you 'can't', always say 'I choose not to'
2) Explicitly ask if someone is going to do XYZ

For political actions, players should always negotiate before declaring blocks. Sure, it may result in you getting the odd vote directed against you after the "declare blocks" part ends... but it also allows you to call them "Dirty Stinkin' Deal Breakers" if they shaft you afterwards.

So Impulse is easy to remember.
You can only pass impulse after you've done your complete "As Announced" or "As Declared" things happen.

Your Scenario A:
X plays a Parity Shift.
(X plays no other "As announced" cards)
X now asks the table if there is anything happening before block attempts.
[Negotiations happen here, any DIs are played here]
Action is blocked/unblocked and the rest of it continues from there.

Your Scenario B (should be...):
X plays a Parity Shift
Before replacing the card they also play Seduction (since it is "As Announced")
X now asks the table if there is anything happening before block attempts.
[Negotiations happen here, any DIs are played here choosing either the Parity Shift or DI]
Action is blocked/unblocked and the rest continues from there.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds