file Play to win

18 Apr 2022 16:27 #105041 by kschaefer
Replied by kschaefer on topic Play to win
You will never be able to legislate poor play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, ReverendRevolver, self biased

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2022 10:51 #105046 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Play to win

You will never be able to legislate poor play.

No, but if we have tournament rules, those rules should be enforced by the judge to the best of their ability. If they do not have ability, they should not organize tournaments. The VEKN can try to sort things out if there is a problem.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
20 Apr 2022 15:09 #105049 by TapeTaChatte
Replied by TapeTaChatte on topic Play to win
I personnally think that you always have more chances to get 1VP by not ousting than by ousting, even if just 0,01%. I had started tournament rules guide to enforce this by forbidding people from self-ousting but those tournament rules are not enforceable yet.

Since, for the moment, it's not in place, people can effectively choose however they seem fit to do 0VP and maybe it will involve some other players' making VPs they did not deserve and that's how it is. When it happens, just try to discuss with the player to understand if the problem with you is personnal or not, and try to solve the situation. If you don't manage to, just consider that this specific player will always try to play against you and consider this an additionnal challenge because for the moment it's legal.

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile

More
21 Apr 2022 05:13 #105050 by Kilrauko
Replied by Kilrauko on topic Play to win

I personnally think that you always have more chances to get 1VP by not ousting than by ousting, even if just 0,01%. I had started tournament rules guide to enforce this by forbidding people from self-ousting but those tournament rules are not enforceable yet.

Since, for the moment, it's not in place, people can effectively choose however they seem fit to do 0VP and maybe it will involve some other players' making VPs they did not deserve and that's how it is. When it happens, just try to discuss with the player to understand if the problem with you is personnal or not, and try to solve the situation. If you don't manage to, just consider that this specific player will always try to play against you and consider this an additionnal challenge because for the moment it's legal.

How your plan to enforce no self oust handles a situation where player is choosing not to block when able while sitting at 3 pool when being bled for 3 and holding an Archon investigation in hand? Is it valid to hope cross table player who has discarded Major Boon as their turn 1 card has another in their deck and is willing to play it? How about when that cross table player is bluffing and the player being bled does not know it, are they still trying to play to win or should they always attempt to block the bleed? How about in situation where the cross table player is sitting at 4 pool, and the possible +1 stealth, +1 bleed might push them to a situation where they no longer cannot play the Major boon, is not blocking allowed in that situation?

Basically, where do you draw the line, or is it just "player may not intentionally move the last pool out of their pool"? How do you plan to handle Repo Man self-ousts or similar "oopsies" still open for people? I'm asking because I'm interested how you plan to achieve such abstract concept via rules without people figuring out ways around it while maintaining the complex mechanics present in the game and cards. My apologies if they're freely accessible here somewhere and I've just missed them, if so just pointing there with a link is enough, thank you.

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
21 Apr 2022 06:10 #105051 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Play to win
PTW is an extremely difficult Can Of Worms TM that I would really REALLY hate to tackle in the rules!

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson, kschaefer

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
21 Apr 2022 19:55 - 21 Apr 2022 20:00 #105052 by Vaughnad
Replied by Vaughnad on topic Play to win
Probably some rule that prevent self ousting by influencing or something similar would already do wonders to prevent this kingmaking situations out of nowhere.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2022 20:00 by Vaughnad.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds