file Procurer recruiting another with The Shard

19 Jul 2023 05:21 #108741 by Bloodartist

Maybe the rule is a bit redundant.

A minion already should be able to pay the cost of a card when he plays it (both checking the cost at announce and at pay time). Covered already by the rules.

A minion can not simply play a card that cannot pay. An ally cannot pay a card that cost blood.

But they can pay it when it costs 0.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2023 12:59 #108753 by Coyote
Actually, is what I am saying. Read my previous post. I am in the team #ProcuresCanRecruitProcuresUsingTheShard

More
21 Jul 2023 06:24 - 21 Jul 2023 06:37 #108764 by Rathpex
I was on the fence about this but after having a read of the rulebook, my stance would be as follows:

Blood Cost (from the rulebook):
A number in a red drop represents blood cost (the amount of blood the vampire must burn). Only a vampire with enough blood on them can play a card with a blood cost.

The Shard:
If you have the Edge, you can lock this card to reduce the cost of a card you play by 2 pool or blood.

Applying the rulebook to the card:
The Shard ability is used after the card is played. The Shard must target a card after it has already been played. However the Procurer is unable to play the recruitment action in the first instance as Only a vampire with enough blood on them can play a card with a blood cost..

A non vampire is unable to recruit an ally with a blood cost by using the shard. Similar to how treaty of Laibach does not work on a Tremere.

To work, the shard would have to target a card in hand and reduce its cost BEFORE its played.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 06:37 by Rathpex.

More
21 Jul 2023 09:33 #108765 by Ankha

Applying the rulebook to the card:
The Shard ability is used after the card is played. The Shard must target a card after it has already been played. However the Procurer is unable to play the recruitment action in the first instance as Only a vampire with enough blood on them can play a card with a blood cost..

No, you can use the Shard to reduce the cost of a card you couldn't play otherwise.

A non vampire is unable to recruit an ally with a blood cost by using the shard.

A card that costs 0 blood doesn't cost blood at all. Thus, it can be played an ally.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Hakuron

More
21 Jul 2023 10:08 - 21 Jul 2023 10:14 #108767 by KoRneeshon
I think I understand Rathpex reasoning.

Procurer costs 2 blood and you cannot reduce its cost before you play it, and, again from the rulebook:
Only a vampire with enough blood on them can play a card with a blood cost.

You cannot attempt something you can't do in hope that it will become legal later on.

Then again Shard can be used "to reduce card cost you play", so if it's supposed to be legally used in the described scenario, it seem that playing the card and checking if I can afford it is performed in the same window.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2023 10:14 by KoRneeshon.

More
23 Jul 2023 10:39 #108786 by Coyote
I guess is about timing

When you check if you can play a card?
When you decide the reduction cost?

If reduction cost goes before checking if you can play a card then you can play it as, when you check if you can play it, the cost, it is zero.

In case this is ruled (reductions goes before checking the card requisites) the procurer can use the shard to recruit another procurer.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds