check Expansion Update

01 Oct 2011 02:11 #11271 by finbury
Replied by finbury on topic Re: Expansion Update

Good question but think about it: VEKN is producing the expansion...

Well, that's what I'm hoping, but I'd like things to be clear. We're in some pretty grey territory here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2011 07:27 #11364 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Re: Expansion Update
The new cards will naturally be legal.

I think that the original idea was that when/if some company picks the game up again all VEKN expansions become illegal. However the rights to produce actual printed cards for the VEKN edpansions would go the that publisher.

This is because we don't want to discourage the companies from picking the game up bacause of a gazillion free cards made by the player organization.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
08 Oct 2011 16:02 #11671 by Myrdin
Replied by Myrdin on topic Re: Expansion Update
I know this will be a very, very controversial idea. But if the distribution of the cards will be done via PDF and locally printed for each player, why not make all printed proxy's legal? It would go a long way to promote the game (i.e. free cards) while I'm sure collectors like me still would appreciate having "real cards" (much like how blackbordered lotus and mox'es are still valued in M:tg).

Just a thought, once the game gets picked up though you could go back to banning printed proxys.

Just consider the possibilities of recruiting new players once the first bump of actually getting cards for a "dead game" is removed.

Ivan - Prince of Stockholm

More
08 Oct 2011 17:50 #11673 by brandonsantacruz

I know this will be a very, very controversial idea. But if the distribution of the cards will be done via PDF and locally printed for each player, why not make all printed proxy's legal? It would go a long way to promote the game (i.e. free cards) while I'm sure collectors like me still would appreciate having "real cards" (much like how blackbordered lotus and mox'es are still valued in M:tg).

Just a thought, once the game gets picked up though you could go back to banning printed proxys.

Just consider the possibilities of recruiting new players once the first bump of actually getting cards for a "dead game" is removed.

This makes perfect sense to make printable cards on PDF. It would be much less of a hassle than trying to pre-order a bunch of cards from some printing house and more cost-effective as long as they are very printer friendly or there is a high resolution and a low resolution version.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
08 Oct 2011 22:13 #11676 by Juggernaut1981
Replied by Juggernaut1981 on topic Re: Expansion Update
I agree that for people who aren't worried about the feel of the cards, then proxies are fine. People can print them out, use them in their decks and so on.

I personally like the 'feel' of the properly printed cards and would happily preorder cards from VEKN, knowing that I will get a certain quality of product.

For tournaments though, as a Prince/Judge, there is a problem with being able to 'feel' the top card and know what card it could be. So we may have to have a think about how tournaments will work, if we will require that an entire deck be "DIY Print" or "Pro Print".

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
09 Oct 2011 02:55 #11679 by brandonsantacruz

I agree that for people who aren't worried about the feel of the cards, then proxies are fine. People can print them out, use them in their decks and so on.

I personally like the 'feel' of the properly printed cards and would happily preorder cards from VEKN, knowing that I will get a certain quality of product.

For tournaments though, as a Prince/Judge, there is a problem with being able to 'feel' the top card and know what card it could be. So we may have to have a think about how tournaments will work, if we will require that an entire deck be "DIY Print" or "Pro Print".

If you get opaque-backed sleeves and either size them well or glue/tape them to regular cards, they should be about right.

What I do if I have to mix sets (i.e. 3rd, Jyhad, other) is just mix more cards than I have to (i.e. my 7 Jyhad Parity Shifts with 3 jyhad deflections, 4 jyhad freak drives, 2 jyhad governs, etc and the other copies of those cards are VTES backed).

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds