file Making Aye and Orun Work

01 Nov 2013 22:14 - 01 Nov 2013 22:14 #56109 by AaronC
Replied by AaronC on topic Re: Making Aye and Orun Work

That would barely help the speed issue without addressing the deck-clogging issue. Maybe as part of a full solution.

Let's be fair. It would also bairly help the deck-clogging issue since you would get to take an Orun/Aye out of your library each time you influenced a Laibon vampire.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2013 22:14 by AaronC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2013 22:40 #56112 by Dorrinal
Good point. It's still too little by itself. To answer you other question: a rules change might just be the best way to fix aye and orun.

They feel a little too much like land in Magic to me. They aren't very interesting on their own (3 aye is cool I guess), they take a lot of deck space, yet you need them to play certain cards.

:trem:

More
01 Nov 2013 22:51 - 01 Nov 2013 22:52 #56113 by jamesatzephyr

They feel a little too much like land in Magic to me. They aren't very interesting on their own (3 aye is cool I guess), they take a lot of deck space, yet you need them to play certain cards.

As "land" cards, that prompts the idea that - if you could go back in time and wave a magic wand - you might choose not to make them master cards. Instead, make them work more like Conviction cards. You can pull one from your hand, ash heap or library when a Laibon enters play. You can put one on each Laibon for free in your untap phase. So they cycle really quite easily. You typically burn Conviction cards to pay costs, but LaibonHumanityPath untap cards might not burn.

That might be a little too radical from where we are, though.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2013 22:52 by jamesatzephyr.

More
02 Nov 2013 11:06 #56124 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Making Aye and Orun Work

I'd make it:

"Once each turn, any laibon vampire you control can take a +1 stealth undirected action to search your library for an aye or orun card. This actions costs x blood, where x is the number of such cards on the vampire. If succesful, untap the acting vampire at the end of turn."

This removes the slowdown (having to actually take an action with potentially high blood cost is enough given the lack of stealth on main Laibon bloodlines). Untaping at the end is not as useful, because not every Laibon deck plays multitude of reactions.

I don´t like this. When you are seated next to a Aus-weenie or similar fast dedicted block-deck, it sucks too much.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
02 Nov 2013 11:07 #56125 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Making Aye and Orun Work

5) Errata Aye/Orun so they can target uncontrolled vampires.

This would be nice.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
03 Nov 2013 04:57 #56150 by Juggernaut1981

As "land" cards, that prompts the idea that - if you could go back in time and wave a magic wand - you might choose not to make them master cards. Instead, make them work more like Conviction cards.

That actually sounds REALLY good.

Struggle in the Ebony Kingdom Rules Amendments
1. Aye and Orun are placed in a central pile, similar to a Blood Bank. This reserve is technically infinite.

2. Each Methuselah may choose Path of Orun or Path of Aye at the beginning of their game. Laibons controlled by that Methuselah may take a +1 stealth action costing X blood to put X of the corresponding card (Aye if they chose Path of Aye or vice versa) onto the acting vampire and then untap.

3. When a Laibon enters play or a minion becomes Laibon, they may automatically gain an Aye or Orun corresponding to the Path chosen by the Methuselah.

4. When a vampire takes a non-mandatory hunt action, they may reduce the amount of blood gained by 1 and gain 1 Aye or Orun instead as corresponding to the Path chosen by the Methuselah.

5. Any Aye or Orun that are burned are returned to the central pile.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds