lightbulb Library card redesign

28 Jul 2016 18:00 #77599 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Library card redesign
Idea, which bothers me for a some time, cost for action cards and other cards.

Timing of cost (when played / when action resolves) must be somehow represented.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 19:57 #77601 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign

Timing of cost (when played / when action resolves) must be somehow represented.

care to give me a detailed walk-through as to your logic, and why this is a pressing design need?

More
29 Jul 2016 05:20 #77615 by Juggernaut1981

as had been mentioned before: solely relying on colors to differentiate cardtypes probably isn't the best idea, because color blindness is a thing. Using a color strip to identify cardtypes is effectively changing from a symbol that's been in use for the last twenty-odd years to a new one. This is precisely why I am advocating that the icons stay on the bar with the text reminder, and have a very transparent texture matching the cardtypes in the text box.

For what it's worth, I have a player in my group who has a significant visual impairment and the icons help him identify cards.

Edit: i think we're actually arguing the same point, Juggernaut.

I don't think we are.
You are saying "If we swap colour strips for icons, haven't we made new icons?"
What I am saying is: "When you have a multi-type card, how are you going to mark the types?"

My point about the icons is: If the icons are a problem of understanding, then we need a consistent replacement for the icons. I am fine with new icons, I'm fine with colour blocks, I'm fine with writing "Combat" in bold on its own line in the usage.

As 'added text' since the text apparently isn't a problem and in terrible non-picture format.

Force of Personality
|
| (Artwork space)
|
(1 blood) Costs 1 blood
|
| :pre: Combat
| Strike: Combat ends.
|
| :PRE:Modifier
Only usable before... etc, etc,
|

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
29 Jul 2016 06:16 - 29 Jul 2016 06:17 #77618 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

My point about the icons is: If the icons are a problem of understanding, then we need a consistent replacement for the icons. I am fine with new icons, I'm fine with colour blocks, I'm fine with writing "Combat" in bold on its own line in the

Yes, I tried having "Combat: Effect text" etc on Force of Personality and it was quite effective. I think it's better than showing 2x icons (discipline + context) as new users won't be familiar with a :combat: icon as combat cards now only have COMBAT in text. Using text again here is consistent with the card type.

The difficulty was laying it out in a manner that did not look shit.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 06:17 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981, MarcusVitel

More
29 Jul 2016 07:54 - 29 Jul 2016 08:30 #77630 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Library card redesign

My point about the icons is: If the icons are a problem of understanding, then we need a consistent replacement for the icons. I am fine with new icons, I'm fine with colour blocks, I'm fine with writing "Combat" in bold on its own line in the

Yes, I tried having "Combat: Effect text" etc on Force of Personality and it was quite effective. I think it's better than showing 2x icons (discipline + context) as new users won't be familiar with a :combat: icon as combat cards now only have COMBAT in text. Using text again here is consistent with the card type.

The difficulty was laying it out in a manner that did not look shit.

I see three pitfalls:
  1. the cardtext with or without the card type must look the same (no extra line)
  2. the cardtext with 2 card types or more must look good.
  3. the cardtext with 2 card types and 2 disciplines must look good (Quicksilver Contemplation)
I'm slightly in favor of the icons as multi-disciplines, multi-type cards could be seen as "advanced" cards, and it looks neater.

Unless I'm proven otherwise of course. It would be great to see Quicksilver Contemplation with
  • [tem] [REACTION] on one line
  • [aus][tem] [ACTION MODIFIER][REACTION] on two lines (a 2x2 square)
  • [AUS][TEM] [ACTION MODIFIER] on one or two lines
and the same thing with text.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 08:30 by Ankha.

More
29 Jul 2016 10:26 #77639 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Library card redesign

care to give me a detailed walk-through as to your logic, and why this is a pressing design need?

We always encounter with the new players situation, when he tries to pay costs of actions asap, or is not paying cost for modifiers waiting for something.

It's confusing, that this cost looks totally similar on the cards.

And generally Actions and Action Mods are hard to distinguish for a new player.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds