file Any progress on the ranking module?

08 Oct 2012 12:02 #38594 by Suoli

Anyway - I'm not going to post here any more, as it is a well known fact, that everyone who even tries to write something which is not 100% compatible with VEKN ideas is considered to be an enemy.

Roger out.

Bitching, whining and being generally combative won't make friends here or anywhere else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 12:03 #38595 by Ohlmann
Sincere thanks from the moderator / admin who made this a separate thread.

Also, I believe that being rude to people that do that on their free time is, well, rude, and more importantly unwarranted. Most thing are obtained more quickly by being polite than by trashing the other party.

Maybe the VEKN is not very efficient on this particular task. Maybe the script is finished, but they have a problem to solve before showing it, like the site admin being busy on other thing, or waiting to have a trusted people verifying the script is not malicious.

In all cases, I don't believe insult, warranted or not, will make them work faster.

More
08 Oct 2012 12:14 #38596 by Santh
but can it be slower? i think not. So we don't have nothing to lose.

Promises, promises, nothing else.

More
08 Oct 2012 12:57 #38597 by johannes
Currently the module is being tested by several persons with real Archon data. If you look inside players ranking (i.e from Paris) you can see that it changes. Of course the results are not definite yet.

Yes, this took a very long time, but apparently there are complexities:

- Archon is not necessarily a 2010 Office file (because not everyone has Office 2010). Older formats are NOT XML and a bitch to parse.
- The integration into Joomla requires specific Joomla knowledge. I coded out a few things in PHP back at the time, which was indeed quick. The integration as a proper Joomla module requires a lot more development time and special knowledge.
- It still took too long, this is a downside when you work with volunteers who sometimes have to stop for months because something happens in their life.

@Santh: well, I honestly overlooked your thread (and apparently everybody else). In case of applying for help sending an email to a NC, IC, prince, anybody is usually better.

@wargrim: My memory is shady when going back to 2011, but did I (personally) turn you down? If yes can you PM me that conversation because it would surprise me. Or tell me who turned you down?
The following user(s) said Thank You: er-principe

More
08 Oct 2012 12:58 #38598 by johannes
P.S: Joomla is not .NET, but PHP so there is no native component to parse Excel. In fact my research back then came up with nothing usable at all so it had to be done more or less from scratch.

More
08 Oct 2012 13:07 #38599 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
All criticism of where/how this topic got posted or wargrim's language aside, he struck at a matter close to my heart.

Not having a ranking system in place after 2 years is simply shameful. The organization exists specifically to maintain the tournament system. When you follow the "V:EKN" link in the main menu you find the follow:

The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings), and sponsoring the creation of monthly Clan Newsletters.

Don't get me wrong, getting VTES back in print is a noble goal, which I support completely. As is design/test/punblish for new cards. And it's likely that none of these efforts use the same resources that coding and testing a ratings system use.

Nonetheless, the primary objective of the organization is to administer the ratings system and VEKN has failed miserably here. When an organization (even a volunteer one) can't fulfill it's charter, it should be subject to criticism.

Add my name to the list of folks disappointed by VEKN's failure to uphold its charter.

Darby
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeff Kuta

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds