file Any progress on the ranking module?

10 Oct 2012 10:03 #38811 by johannes

Why reset the ranking? Isn´t that rather rude to old players?

Well, in the current ranking calculation only the last 18 months of result count. So it doesn´t matter if you are an "old" player if only the last 18 months are relevant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2012 20:27 #38851 by Adonai

@Adonai:
So your beef isn't with the VEKN but Princes who aren't: {doing stuff}

You have a false dichotomy there.

According to the original charter , V:EKN is the local volunteers.
According to the current FAQ , V:EKN is the players.

I'd have outlined much more specific roles and responsibilities if I were going to charter a volunteer organization.

i.e.
National Coordinator - must publicize 1 national tournament per year, and coordinate at least 1 tournament per month, though they need not attend or judge the monthly events, remove dis-functional local coordinators from the lists quarterly, i.e. no local volunteer should be in the list if they don't have a working email address listed and if they haven't performed their specific duties, with the national coordinator to be removed if no events have been run in their country in the last 6 months

Local Coordinator - coordinate at least 1 demo or tournament every 3 months, not necessary to judge or demo themselves, simply to arrange the time/date/location and publicize before and report afterwards

Specialty volunteers - would have specific tasks with public deadlines.

I'm not of the opinion that ranking/ratings adds any real value to the tournament community. Our most recent Atlanta tournament had 15 players, only 3 of whom weren't in the Hall of Fame (4 visiting HoF players from Ohio were in attendance). Does the ratings of those players matter in the slightest? No. Were the games amazingly tense and good because everyone had a clue and knew how to play at the top level? Absolutely.

If V:EKN, i.e. the local volunteers, want rankings and ratings, then they should certainly have it, and they should certainly have a deadline promised and delivered upon by the specialty volunteers that commit to it.

I'd be in favor of scrapping that bit of the charter, as it is simply one more area where failure to follow thru occurs. If you were to go back thru the Usenet newsgroup , you'd find 12 years of complaints about the system, a significant percentage tied to the website, a significant percentage tied to the formula, and a sizable percentage tied to the failure of the local volunteer to finish their task correctly.

Announcing/publicizing/advertising the events, getting players to attend, running great events and reporting them are the only items I think local volunteers need to concentrate on.

A touch more random Usenet history:
Johannes volunteered database hosting and server space in 2009 . He then made a public call for additional volunteers in January 2010 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dorrinal, Boris The Blade

More
11 Oct 2012 10:51 #38876 by Ashur
I actually had no idea about this. Which may have alot to do with the fact that the ranking hasn´t been worth following in several years :)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
11 Oct 2012 22:41 #38925 by Santh

@Wargrim and others:

If you think you possess the skills required to establish a database that will data-mine Archon files, store the information in a searchable online DB, dump that information into a number of lists (assuming by Overall Rating, Constructed Ranking, Draft Ranking, By "VTES Continent", By Region, By individual) and present that in a nice format that can be easily migrated onto the VEKN site...

Then maybe you should be talking to Jussi and the IC about how you will help. If things aren't meeting your standards (with an obvious issue going on drawing down the resources of the IC and VEKN) then roll up your sleeves and help.

omg.

vtes-polska.ugu.pl/rating.php
if you click vekn number you will get individual rating
if you click number above rating points, you will see tournament results

i don't have "draft" option, because we don't play such tournaments, but it's so easy like ... You just have to add one field in tournament table, which will contain flag what kind tournament was that.

i count 6 best results from league, you have to exchange it to 8, and make date not from beginning league, but get date and go 18 months back. this is even easier.

Continent? Country? City? the only problem is how you add players to Database when creating vekn number, if you add such information like continent or just make dozens 'if(Country=="Poland") Continent="Europe";', there is no problem at all.

as you can see the design is quite nice (if you use normal browser like Opera), but this is only a matter of .css file, that you have ready in old rating system, you have to make only some changes.

It's about one day of work, to make it done.

when i offered my solution nobody wanted it. You prefer attack people that don't like situation in VEKN. So my offer is no more actual, because I don't like you :)

ps. sorry for my english.

More
12 Oct 2012 02:22 #38927 by Juggernaut1981

It's about one day of work, to make it done.

when i offered my solution nobody wanted it. You prefer attack people that don't like situation in VEKN. So my offer is no more actual, because I don't like you :)

ps. sorry for my english.

Santh,
I'm not trying to attack people. It's more of my thought that if you feel enough passion to rage about it on the Forum, then obviously you've got enough energy and passion to do something about it. So why not contribute that energy productively than just rage-on?

I'm really happy to see that there is a nice League Calculator in Poland (even if the colouring system confused me and because I don't read Polish most of the rest of the page was useless to me). I think that the hardest part is probably extracting the information out of the Archon Files, uploading the Archon Files securely and then converting it into a format for the website to use. But please, go talk to Jussi Hattara and Robyn Tatu about how you may be able to help in getting the Ratings Page online. If they don't want the help, then that's their business. But it is better to have tried to channel the energy into fixing things.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
06 Mar 2013 11:50 - 06 Mar 2013 11:51 #45758 by wargrim
Just to let you know - The world rank tool for Polish players is already in place and working thanks to Santh.

www.vtes-polska.ugu.pl/world_rating.php

In case you need more information on that matter please contact Santh.

"Iusiurandum patri datum usque ad hanc diem ita servavi"
Last edit: 06 Mar 2013 11:51 by wargrim.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds