file Any progress on the ranking module?

08 Oct 2012 13:07 - 08 Oct 2012 13:17 #38600 by Ankha

but can it be slower? i think not. So we don't have nothing to lose.

Promises, promises, nothing else.

It's the problem when you delegate a task. You can't assign the task to different people at the same time, and you have to trust them that the job will be done.
People proposed to help. They were assigned the task, are working on it, and it takes a long time.
You proposed to help when the work was already being done. Talking of promises, who can guarantee you would have kept your own promise? That it would have been quicker?

Anyway, it's always easy to criticize but remember that it's a volunteer job, done on private time, not a company project with someone monitoring and people working on it all day.

Not having a ranking system in place after 2 years is simply shameful.
Nonetheless, the primary objective of the organization is to administer the ratings system and VEKN has failed miserably here.

Was there a deadline? I must admit that it isn't quick (and I'm a bit disappointed too because I love rankings), but I don't consider it to be a failure yet. Sure, if the game dies before they finish it, it will be a failure then.
You say two years, but during that time, a new forum was brought up, a player registry and calendar recreated. And it wasn't two years of full time working on it.

(If I seem to take VEKN's defense, it's because I know that personal projects in addition to a full-time job can take a VERY long time).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 08 Oct 2012 13:17 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vragozakas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2012 13:21 #38601 by johannes

Nonetheless, the primary objective of the organization is to administer the ratings system and VEKN has failed miserably here. When an organization (even a volunteer one) can't fulfill it's charter, it should be subject to criticism.

Well, you are right and you should. Certainly one thing that was not done well.

I have pondered long over the reasons for this and I think it is a thing specific for IT. To have enough knowledge to do this properly you need a certain amount of IT skill, when you have that you most likely work in IT. That means, in your spare time, you have to do exactly the same as you do when working (well, probably not exactly but similiar). And given our 25-30+ demographic you are probably not interested in THAT. Just my wild try to find an explanation why it is hard to get a good result here when we had good results in other areas without much of a problem (i.e championships).

More
08 Oct 2012 13:24 #38602 by Santh
when i posted it, i have had ready script for ALL types of archons (no mater .xls or .xlsx, and all verions of archon's). As You can see in link that warGrim postet, it works to calculate polish league rating.

Your goal would be only adding .css file, to table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dude_PL, Jeff Kuta

More
08 Oct 2012 13:33 #38606 by Boris The Blade

Not having a ranking system in place after 2 years is simply shameful. The organization exists specifically to maintain the tournament system. When you follow the "V:EKN" link in the main menu you find the follow:

The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings), and sponsoring the creation of monthly Clan Newsletters.

How old is that? Lots of things happened since VTES went out of print. The state of the game being what it is, having a place to advertise events and have rules questions answered strikes me as much more critical than the rating system. I for one am very happy that other things came before the rankings. Maybe it is the charter that is outdated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
08 Oct 2012 18:39 #38640 by Adonai

The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings), and sponsoring the creation of monthly Clan Newsletters.
How old is that?

March 1998 FAQ

February 1998 FAQ

V:EKN website from 1999

V:EKN Charter December 15, 1997

1998 Ratings Calculator

More
08 Oct 2012 20:41 #38651 by TryDeflectingThisGrapple
OK, fine, I get it. What I quoted before is old.

If you want to pick nits about the age of that sentence instead of focusing on the core message, how about something more contemporary so that your concerns are addressed?

The V:EKN is the organization responsible for sanctioning and regulating official V:TES tournaments, recording V:TES players' ratings (and rankings), monitoring and updating (where necessary) game rules, card text and changes, and sponsoring the organization's website.

Source V:EKN FAQ, live on this website right now, last updated on Tuesday, 23 August 2011 10:08.

My point remains: V:EKN's chartered function includes maintaining a rating system based on the tournaments it sanctions.

Unless one is drinking copious quantities of kool-aid, it's difficult to refute that a 2 year lapse in that responsibility is disappointing even in the most favorable light. In my opinion, it merits criticism for failure from the player base that V:EKN purports servicing.

At the same time, I will agree that other parts of the charter (rules maintenance, card text changes, etc) and some things outside the charter (salvaging remaining sealed product, pursuing print on demand) have been executed well enough to exceed expectations. Kudos on those efforts.

Continuing on the ratings issue: It would be interesting to cross reference last 18 months TWDA events against contents of the first data dump. I wonder how many Archons (of 10+ player tournaments) were lost by not having a ratings system - and how that compares to a historical baseline.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds