file Any progress on the ranking module?

08 Oct 2012 21:18 #38658 by Juggernaut1981
@Wargrim and others:

If you think you possess the skills required to establish a database that will data-mine Archon files, store the information in a searchable online DB, dump that information into a number of lists (assuming by Overall Rating, Constructed Ranking, Draft Ranking, By "VTES Continent", By Region, By individual) and present that in a nice format that can be easily migrated onto the VEKN site...

Then maybe you should be talking to Jussi and the IC about how you will help. If things aren't meeting your standards (with an obvious issue going on drawing down the resources of the IC and VEKN) then roll up your sleeves and help.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2012 04:57 #38675 by johannes

Continuing on the ratings issue: It would be interesting to cross reference last 18 months TWDA events against contents of the first data dump. I wonder how many Archons (of 10+ player tournaments) were lost by not having a ratings system - and how that compares to a historical baseline.

People still had the option to stash the Archon away until it works or to send it to Robyn who has been collecting Archons. I think at least the big tournaments will get in.

More
09 Oct 2012 08:02 #38683 by Lönkka

It would be really nice if you could concentrate on really important current issues (like rank for example).

Myself, I've never considered ranking even remotely important thing.
Obviously people have different opinnions, no probs there.
I can sure understand why they are interested in ranking, but for me it has always been a "meh" thing...

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris The Blade

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
09 Oct 2012 09:49 #38689 by wargrim
It is not about the ranking but about keeping promises.
Introduction of the new ranking module has been postponed several times so far.
I have just picked this as an example as from technical perspective it seems to be rather easy task.
There are yet several more fields on which VEKN is not effective enough.

BTW - I would be really happy if VEKN was able to finalize at least one of currently pending projects before "jumping into deep water" with the new expansion thing.

"Iusiurandum patri datum usque ad hanc diem ita servavi"

More
09 Oct 2012 09:56 - 09 Oct 2012 09:58 #38691 by Izaak

Myself, I've never considered ranking even remotely important thing.
Obviously people have different opinnions, no probs there.
I can sure understand why they are interested in ranking, but for me it has always been a "meh" thing...

What you, me or anyone else thinks personally is pretty irrelevant in the matter.

The VEKN charter, last updated a year ago, specificially states that it (the VEKN) will maintain a ranking based on sanctioned tournaments. Which it has failed to deliver.

Besides that, HAVING a ranking will -at worst- not hurt anyone, while NOT having one might *at best* not hurt anyone. At best, HAVING a ranking will draw more competitive-minded (ex)-players in and at worst, NOT having one will make people more likely to stop attending tournaments.

So again, what you think about ranking doesn't matter in the slightest. What matter is how VEKN thinks about a ranking, which is explicitely stated in the charter.

People still had the option to stash the Archon away until it works or to send it to Robyn who has been collecting Archons. I think at least the big tournaments will get in.

Ye well... the problem with that is that as a result of how the ranking works (or at least always has worked), that means that (average) players with more pro-active princes will be ranked high and that the players everyone agrees should be top 50 might not be ranked at all. The system as it stands already does a pretty horrible job at properly ranking players in the first place, messing it up even further by uploading only half (if that) the data doesn't sound like an amazing idea to me.

We might as well not have a ranking system if Joe Casual from "we have a tournament every monday-town" ends up being top 10 and the most recent top ~10 finishers of 2011/2012 EC/NAC players are outside the top 100.
Last edit: 09 Oct 2012 09:58 by Izaak.

More
09 Oct 2012 10:40 #38694 by jhattara

BTW - I would be really happy if VEKN was able to finalize at least one of currently pending projects before "jumping into deep water" with the new expansion thing.

None of the people working with the ranking system have had anything to do with the new expansion. Putting the new expansion on hold wouldn't have assisted in the development of the ranking module in any way. I would've agreed if the two projects would've had a major overlap in the people behind them.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: er-principe, Damnans, Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds