file Uses for Jack of Both Sides

21 Sep 2012 21:26 #37482 by brandonsantacruz

1) If you use Jack to equip something, does this make it an "equip" action? This is important for NRA PAC, Carmen, Samedi, etc. Similarly, if you use it for a retainer, does that make it a "recruit retainer" action?

Yes it does, it says so on the card itself (This vampire equips or employs an equipment or retainer from your hand)
The same is with the cards like Magic of the Smith or Muricia's Call.

NRA PAC wouldn't work, for example, if your vamp gets equipment via successful diablerie, but it sure works with cards that make your vamp equip from wherever.

From the Google group:

LSJ

11/13/00
GymNat1 wrote:
> must the vamp using MotS declare what equipment she is searching her library
> for?

No. The successful action allows you to "go through your library [and] find
a piece of equipment..."

Google group search confirms the part about announcing what you get from Jack of Both Sides, though.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2012 21:35 #37483 by brandonsantacruz

1) If you use Jack to equip something, does this make it an "equip" action? This is important for NRA PAC, Carmen, Samedi, etc. Similarly, if you use it for a retainer, does that make it a "recruit retainer" action?

Yes, it says "equips" and "recruits".

2) Do you have to announce what you are using the card for (i.e. "I am playing Jack of Both Sides to equip with an Ivory Bow at 2 stealth. Blocks?").

Yes, you must announce fully the effect.

It seems like a card that might function similarly to Charming Lobby (that is, without it resulting in a vote).

Here's Charming Lobby for reference:

Charming Lobby
Action
+1 stealth political action.
 This vampire calls a referendum listed on a political action card in your hand (play that card) or allowed by an effect in play. If the referendum passes, then the next referendum called by any vampire thereafter passes automatically.
 As above, and this vampire gains 2 votes in that first referendum.

I'm not sure of what you're trying to say. Charming Lobby is a political action.

Ok, with those questions addressed, I have some ideas about how to use Jack.

For decks featuring Majesty and/or Freak Drive, you get two chances to get the equipment/retainer. If the first is blocked/DId, you get a second since the equipment or retainer wasn't actually played.

Avoid the "no repeat action" rule regarding equipment and retainers. Want two Berettas for the same guy this turn? Have at it! Want three, use Magic of the Smith. Four? Vast Wealth.

Samedi are especially good at this when they use Hag's Wrinkles.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/

More
22 Sep 2012 10:49 - 22 Sep 2012 10:49 #37505 by Azel
Anonymous Freight also works in this combo as well, for what it's worth.

Anonymous Freight
:action:
+3 stealth equip action. Requires a vampire.
Equip this vampire with a non-location equipment card from your hand (requirements and cost apply as normal).

Guruhi are the Land also works in providing untap, but that'll lead to a Darby Dance and might be beyond your current vision.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 10:49 by Azel.

More
22 Sep 2012 12:54 - 22 Sep 2012 12:54 #37515 by Camo1000
I use it in my gun deck - saving pool is vital. I use it in a mix of hidden weapon and vast wealth.

My friend has a black cat based deck with jack of both sides - free magnums for all!
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 12:54 by Camo1000.

More
22 Sep 2012 13:04 - 22 Sep 2012 13:06 #37518 by TorranceCircle

Anonymous Freight also works in this combo as well, for what it's worth.

This does work for equipment.

Getting retainers at a discount might be a good use for Jack of Both sides as has been stated earlier in the discussion. Here is a list of retainers costing 2 or more blood.

Camarilla Vitae Slave

Faithful Servant

Infernal Familiar

Marijava Ghoul

Masquer (Wraith)

Raptor

Redcap Wilder

Spiritual Protector
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 13:06 by TorranceCircle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brandonsantacruz

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds