file Please Ban The Unmasking

16 Jun 2013 16:11 #49875 by brandonsantacruz
I am ok with Giant's Blood, Villein, Lilith's Blessing, Golconda, etc. What I really want to see banned is The Unmasking. Why? Turning every ally into a +1 intercept minion is a HUGE change to the game state, one that can not be countered without a LOT of effort. Add that to Carlton's +1 intercept, Imbued convictions, etc and it can too easily shut a lot of decks down cold. This card shows up in just about every tournament, if not every tournament round, that I play in.

Make players actually put some effort into blocking with allies if that's what they really want to do. It would still be a powerful strategy with all of the sources of intercept around, not even counting Imbued. So tired of this card.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: AaronC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2013 17:09 #49878 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking
So you're mostly tired because you play again ally decks (that include some Unmasking of course).
If Unmasking was banned, would you be less tired?
If you expect some ally meta, why don't do play some anti-ally cards?

Currently in Paris, we don't see ally decks that often, and Unmasking isn't a major problem.

You can't ban cards because during one period, you encounter more decks of a certain type.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: acbishop

More
16 Jun 2013 17:56 #49879 by Jeff Kuta
All event cards are problematic. The Unmasking is one of the worst offenders.

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
16 Jun 2013 18:14 #49880 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking
Simply meta against allies — there's a handful of allies can't block cards and Entrancement + Force of Personality is solid (The Uncoiling is also useful).

For a lot of theses decks +1 int is their only defence, generate 2 and you're normally clear. If +1 int poses such a problem for some decks I'd more concerned about the decks than The Unmasking. Removing it from the game would make a lot of decks less viable and impoverish the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: acbishop, Louhi

More
16 Jun 2013 18:40 #49881 by ReverendRevolver
I hoped this was a satyrical thread when i read the title.

Im just out of the NAC weekend, and i truly feel nothing needs banned. A few things neex erratad still, lb and tablets, but thats not what you have q problem with.

During the won, i was told several people had thier games wrecked by 4 th cycle. I watched a game during the last chance qualifier where someone dropped 4th cycle and made an Anarch Convert have the Liason title from rise of the whatever it is for the game, since that event has the only text to remove that title.

Ppl were planning on metagaming against imbued and allies at an event where the mrta was unknown. Several vampires bled with entrancement. Jake washington was fed to needy vampires all week long.

I saw wonderous thngs, such as Mikkel gaining 60 pool with journal of horash ina turn(his total eas then 75 with 3 on an uncontrolled minion...... :0) i saw no evidence that unmasking was broken.

Its strong. Strong enough to make hellhound playable in casual even. But its car from the most stupid powerful card in the game. Ive used it with satyrs and dead hookers, and you know what? People i could catch withca media location got caught more, people i couldnt got to cycle stealth.

If you can get 1 stealth and rarely or never more ( maybe perfect paragon, resist earths grasp, or forched marchis your only stealth? Or you vote without any stealth but what the action gets?) Then unmasking isnt as strong as abbot. Or no secrets. It just gets you caught by (typically) a weaker minion than by a vamp with one of those cards.
War ghouls are the exception, and force of personality and crocs tongue make them more managable.

This isnt like the mmpa decks, where its a problem, and some troll says "play more suddens, build a better deck" there are real sulver bullrts for unmasking, and cards that screw allies. Whats really your problem? No 4th cycle, uncoiling, entrancement or black hand ritual?
Ok, that was troll like of me, but really, has unmasking been a bigfer problem for your deck than getting caught without having a way to deal with it in general, or perhaps not having enough stealth in general? I have and run decks that cry to standing intercept. Its the drawback if playing some decks. And yet another risk you have to calculate.

Unamsking is fine, and enables eay more decks than its even broken.

More
16 Jun 2013 18:40 #49882 by Suoli
Replied by Suoli on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking

I am ok with Giant's Blood, Villein, Lilith's Blessing, Golconda, etc. What I really want to see banned is The Unmasking. Why? Turning every ally into a +1 intercept minion is a HUGE change to the game state, one that can not be countered without a LOT of effort. Add that to Carlton's +1 intercept, Imbued convictions, etc and it can too easily shut a lot of decks down cold. This card shows up in just about every tournament, if not every tournament round, that I play in.

Make players actually put some effort into blocking with allies if that's what they really want to do. It would still be a powerful strategy with all of the sources of intercept around, not even counting Imbued. So tired of this card.

What decks are you playing that automatically lose to a predictable, fixed amount of blocks at a fixed +1 intercept per round? Why do the ally decks get to a point where they can recruit enough allies and cycle enough cards to hit Unmasking? This just sounds like a case of some lower tier decks losing to higher tier ally decks.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds