file Please Ban The Unmasking

18 Jun 2013 19:33 #50003 by Charles_Bronson

Unmasking doesn't give YOUR allies +1 intercept, it gives EVERYONES allies +1 intercept.

Seriously?
So, New Carthage then could cost 0, because gives EVERYONE titled brujah +1 bleed and additional vote?

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2013 20:44 #50010 by jamesatzephyr

If unmasking had a 3 pool cost, and a never replace directive, even so everyone who use allies would still use it without thinking. And it would be very effective.

So we know its overpowered.

If I assert something and say it's true, it's automatically 100% fact.

So we know your argument is weak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charles_Bronson

More
18 Jun 2013 21:13 #50014 by Charles_Bronson

If unmasking had a 3 pool cost, and a never replace directive, even so everyone who use allies would still use it without thinking. And it would be very effective.

So we know its overpowered.

If I assert something and say it's true, it's automatically 100% fact.

So we know your argument is weak.

Indeed it is, as it is alone. So many others arguments in this thread. I felt I dont needed to repeat them all. I just gave one more argument.

I am death.
Paul Kersey, Death Wish
:vent::THA::QUI::FOR::dom::obf::cap9:

More
19 Jun 2013 02:32 #50017 by brandonsantacruz

As usual, so many of the posters here actually think the OP is complaining about how the card personally affects him, rather than understanding that he actually describes why he thinks the card is just a bad idea.

As usual the OP says a card is a bad idea instead of trying to cope with it.

On the contrary, I do meta against allies and Unmasking quite a bit. In a recent tournament, I tailored a !Ventrue grinder deck to do well against War Ghouls, faced them, and still lost due to the number of allies in play by the time I was in the heads-up.

In a tournament not too long before that I was playing Malk 94 and figured that my only way to kill Robert Scythe's deck was to "strangle him in the cradle" and not let him set up. Before I could he had out a couple War Ghouls, A. Ghouls, Carlton, etc. Lost in Crowds + something else became a requirement for any bleed action to get through. I only ousted him when my predator let me bounce his bleed of ~six at stealth, then I lost anyway due to being beaten down.

Sure, there are stronger archetypes vs allies (like ANI wall), but I have faced Unmasking enough to know how damn difficult it can make it to oust someone, and basically for free.

As for playing the Uncoiling, I've tried that, too. It works OK, but it mostly just sits in your hand until something maybe would really hose you or it gets discarded. I've thought about trying more exotic tech (i.e. Black Hand Ritual or The Shattering), but they require some setup and then the card slots that could be something to help oust your prey. Black Hand Ritual can also be blocked, just like Not to Be can be suddened (not by the player playing it, I grant you).

All of this trouble to deal with just one card? Really? I say ban it.

Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

brandonsantacruz.blogspot.com/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joscha, Charles_Bronson

More
19 Jun 2013 06:16 #50022 by Reyda
Replied by Reyda on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking

As for playing the Uncoiling, I've tried that, too. It works OK, but it mostly just sits in your hand until something maybe would really hose you or it gets discarded.

Some cards like sargon fragment, whisper from the dead, Carlotta etc allow you to fetch whatever you need in your ash heap...

I've thought about trying more exotic tech (i.e. Black Hand Ritual or The Shattering), but they require some setup and then the card slots that could be something to help oust your prey.

Oh, the joys of deckbuilding...

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier

More
19 Jun 2013 06:48 #50024 by porphyrion

Seriously, what are these broken ally decks? Even more importantly, what are these decks that automatically lose to allies?

Maris Streck + WarGhoul comes close IMO. I'm not saying it's unbeatable, but it's a unique almost alien decktype to play against. 'infinite intercept' for those deadly WarGhouls even though they don't have any disciplines is on the crazy side IMHO, because by the time Maris runs out of blood, the predator's/prey's vampires will be long in torpor and Piotr/Horatio can bleed totally unbothered. Antonion+Nephandi is also very powerful, and Unmasking is at its most annoying with extra-resilient allies such as Carlton/Nephandi/WarGhoul because they often don't suffer ANY damage from blocking themselves (not even when playing Trap in the latter cases).
I feel Ventrue in particular suffer immensely from this auto-block.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds