file Please Ban The Unmasking

19 Jun 2013 07:10 - 19 Jun 2013 07:16 #50025 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking

I feel Ventrue in particular suffer immensely from this auto-block.

If you play in a strong ally meta, I would say add 4/5 entrancements and 4/5 force of personality in your ventrue deck and you will see if they are so fearsome. And I swrear your friend playing warghoul will think twice before bringing this deck in other tournaments.

And I know, in other cases, majesty is better than force of personality and govern is better than entrancement but they are far from useless.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 07:16 by Timo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, porphyrion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2013 08:02 #50028 by Brum
Replied by Brum on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking
I play Ventrue and Giovanni tap N bleed in tournaments allot. These are not decks that like 2+ minions with inherent intercept.
Recently I also play Nephandus and my meta has allot of Warghouls and sometimes Shamblings.
There is nothing broken about Unmasking. It just allows you not to dye to :PRE: or :DOM: .

Grinder with extra Rolling with the Punches, Uncoiling, block the allies comming in and that's it for them.
If he's your cross table ally, do all Governs at superior, let your prey get a VP and then bleed the table with 6 or 7 minions with :DOM: .

If you ban Unmasking you also have to ban all cards that allow recursion, ban Restructure and you must errata Entrancement and Far Mastery to be 0 stealth.
Before Unmasking, I feel ally decks were strong because of Memories of Mortality. I agree we can't have both cards.
But we must have one of them.

Like any other archetype, there is not one dominant type above all others if people use better choices of deck building and deck playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Louhi, DTA

More
19 Jun 2013 10:16 #50030 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking

As for playing the Uncoiling, I've tried that, too. It works OK, but it mostly just sits in your hand until something maybe would really hose you or it gets discarded.

Okay, you tried to cope with it. And you found sth. that works at least okay (and that even works against other bad events). YMMV but in my book that is enough to not ban it.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
19 Jun 2013 13:36 #50046 by jamesatzephyr

Should events be as powerful as The Unmasking? That's the question to answer.

You're focusing on the wrong thing.

The Unmasking happens to work well in a variety of fun decks. (Plus Imbued.) Who doesn't like War Ghouls, Shamblers, or Renegade Garou? Well, the guy getting his face eaten by them, but even so. So it's relatively popular.

When Events first burst onto the scene, some of them attracted a lot of table hate. They indiscriminately punch everyone in the nuts. Some of them can, with relatively little effort, destroy whole deck types. Yes, obviously some of them require a certain number of other events in play already, but that's not the most difficult thing in the world to accomplish. Fall of the Camarilla can destroy a deck based around, say, Second Tradition/Parity Shift/Carthage Remembered. (One might reasonably make an argument that those sorts of decks are very good and some toning down would be okay. But just destroying the deck isn't that!)

The massive, massive table hate generated meant that quite a lot of people backed off. Maybe they didn't win, but they were ruining other decks, so other decks just turned round and got them off the table ASAP. (You saw similar reactions to Anarch Revolt decks, pre-errata.)

The main two events that see a lot of active play are The Unmasking and Anthelios. They're not table melting in themselves, and they're the two you can plan to use - the scattershot approach of some events makes them much less reliable, oops, oh no, I've just ousted my grand-prey. Other events do see play, like Uncoiling (defensive/reactive), Scourge of the Enochians (similar), and a bit of Dragonbound.

But if someone brings a Gehenna-stacked deck, they can still melt a table or two. And there's still not a great deal you can do about that. And a ban to Unmasking won't do much about that. (Nor would errata.)

A better option, to my mind, would be a greater variety of options for interacting with Events. Put it out of play, increase their cost, burn them, shuffle them back into your deck, delay it for a turn, give it an upkeep cost, maybe a kooky Malkavian "Play a game of Jenga and toss a coin to see if you can play it" card. Does that give you a tool to use against Unmasking? Yes. And potentially against other events? Hopefully too.

Options might be:
  • a more expensive Anarch Convert like (groupless) card that can destroy an event (2 pool, 3 pool, 4 pool?)
  • some sort of collective effort by other Methuselahs - say, a "referendum" in which each Methuselah has one vote only (and no other votes)
  • something involving Mages altering the fabric of reality, maybe a card that requires a mage (and some better mages), which might suppress the event or give it an upkeep cost
  • an event that makes other events more expensive to play

And some of this would be multifunctional - a superior level on a card, an alternative level on a card, an option on a referendum. Say:
Eminent Domain
Political Action
Requires a titled vampire
Choose a location or event controlled by another Methuselah. Successful referendum means that the chosen card is burned, and its controller burns 2 pool.

Super, super great? No, but a potentially interesting alternative to Disputed Territory that also includes pool damage, and possible Event-smiting.

More
19 Jun 2013 14:17 #50050 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking
I'm a big fan of allies, if not so much the ones mentioned, and I hate The Unmasking. I don't like winnie decks (not to be confused with babymaker decks), but I hate Scourge of the Enochians.

Making something more powerful does not equate to making it more fun, and making a class of things more powerful tends to make the weaker things in that class weaker ... because people react to power and put in ways to deal with the more powerful things in a class that typically also mess with weaker things in a class.

More
20 Jun 2013 11:07 #50092 by Joscha
Replied by Joscha on topic Re: Please Ban The Unmasking

Eminent Domain
Political Action
Requires a titled vampire
Choose a location or event controlled by another Methuselah. Successful referendum means that the chosen card is burned, and its controller burns 2 pool.

I like it. Especially the idea that it works against more than just events and it delivers pooldamage too. Maybe it is too much damage, but that is sth. for playtesting.

Baron of Frankfurt

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds