times Storyline - Ragnarök, the Final Battle

07 Oct 2013 18:58 - 07 Oct 2013 19:07 #54899 by Miasmat
I like ICL's idea of having multiple adversaries out at a time. This means I get to attack the one I can be effective against, rather than waiting for the 1 deck on the table who can do <insert quirky combat trick to get around the adversary's power>.

I'm partial to something like:
On turn 3 (and the next X turns), open an adversary slot.
Whenever there's an open adversary slot, reveal an adversary and its reward.
You can attack any adversary, and if you burn it with combat damage, you get its reward. Replace that adversary immediately.
You can tune X, but I'm partial to something like 3 or 4. ICL wanted X=2. Currently, it's X=1.

The bigger X is, the more of the Adversaries' "bad stuff" you'll have to face at once. But you get more choices for combat that you can actually be effective in.

Food for thought.

And I'd like to echo the sentiment that the rewards are generally weak. The only ones that I think are worthwhile is the free untap (Gjallahorn), +1 intercept/stealth (Sleipnir), +1 intercept & environmental damage (Huginn), hunting ground + environmental damage (Geri).

The big problem with the rewards is that you can't count on which ones you'll get, or that you'll get them early enough to matter. So, you have to build your deck to be able to function without them. Which means, they probably don't matter much.

Most of the rewards don't much help further your goal of ousting your prey. And you already wasted at least 1 action killing the Adversary for it. You could be plenty successful with a normal deck and totally ignore the Adversaries.

On the other hand, the storyline-only werewolves are great. I really liked having a wide selection of them (made cheaper with Caern + Charisma + other tricks). The werewolf-only cards are great. I think this is a nice way to add non-vampires to the game, instead of stupid Imbued stupidness.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2013 19:07 by Miasmat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2013 02:24 - 08 Oct 2013 02:28 #54903 by ruiza97

Most of the rewards don't much help further your goal of ousting your prey. And you already wasted at least 1 action killing the Adversary for it. You could be plenty successful with a normal deck and totally ignore the Adversaries.

I'll be honest, I envision the 2 hours spent playing this game isn't about ousting your prey but who defeats the Adversaries and how said Vampires are rewarded. Then we get to determine what Clan wins the influence of the All High. Then if you have time, go oust your prey for a VP to "win" the game.

I'm sure when its been announced that Ira Rivers, the Toreador Prince of Dallas, who eliminated 4 of the 7 Adversaries, and was richly rewarded with the following Rewards, and led the Toreador Clan to win the bidding for the All High, would be far more memorable than who swept a table with "a normal deck and totally ignore[d] the Adversaries." :silly:

Prince of Dallas
Toreador Grand Ball: Dallas
August 13, 2022
Last edit: 08 Oct 2013 02:28 by ruiza97.

More
14 Oct 2013 00:15 - 14 Oct 2013 00:15 #55255 by AaronC

Given the comments in this thread so far I'd be glad to expand the legal window for games for the entire month of October (1st-31st).

If you have expanded the legal window, could you please update the official storyline rules?

I am thinking about organizing a storyline game on October 27, but I would like to have confirmation beforehand that the results will be counted.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2013 00:15 by AaronC.

More
14 Oct 2013 03:26 #55260 by Damnans

Given the comments in this thread so far I'd be glad to expand the legal window for games for the entire month of October (1st-31st).

If you have expanded the legal window, could you please update the official storyline rules?

Done.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

More
14 Oct 2013 12:34 #55277 by AaronC
The rules that appear on this website and the text in the "Rules" PDF still say October 8.

More
16 Oct 2013 14:19 #55380 by hardyrange
A rules question:

Adversaries are immune to all card effects which target allies, and are alos immune to all card effects which target minions controlled by other Methuselahs.

What about card efefcts that target minions (omitting the "controlled by other Methuselahs" wording (e.g., I am thinking about using a card that has some effect to do something to "a ready minion")?
Could one of my minions use a card like that against an Adversary?

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds