exclamation-circle Champions of Cagn Unbound!

03 Nov 2013 07:22 - 03 Nov 2013 07:24 #56153 by Joscha

6. There are many ways to design the same card. And, whether doing top-down or bottom-up design, many, many times people will come up with the same idea, so there's little point to the concept of "This is my brilliant idea, the rest of you don't steal it."

Especially seconded!

That's why that copyright issue is so ridiculous IMHO. I said this many times before and still am mad about it, because two of my favourite cards couldn't become official VEKN-cards because of it.

Baron of Frankfurt
Last edit: 03 Nov 2013 07:24 by Joscha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2013 07:34 #56154 by Juggernaut1981
Oh and after having an even more detailed read of the 'Oft Heralded' Blessings of Cagn...

The worst thing you can do is use it to fetch another Blessings of Cagn. They are unique. So you can't contest your own cards. So you can't play the Blessing of Cagn as if from your hand, because of the Blessing of Cagn in play AND therefore you cannot do anything with it except contest it with some other Laibon deck and lose pool or a copy of Blessings of Cagn.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
03 Nov 2013 11:20 #56161 by Lönkka

Maybe Ebony Kingdoms, a god awful set...

Huh?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
03 Nov 2013 15:07 #56173 by mjvtes521
I've play tested the PCK Laibon and have a deck with Eze Advanced. It uses Brutal Influence. Blessings of Cagn and Spiritual Vessel make getting Oruns out easy and the deck uses a lot of the PCK Laibon cards. It's not a perfect deck, but it's fun and works well. I have 2 Blessing of Cagn in it. The card lets you take all of the Oruns and the other Blessing of Cagn out of your deck so you don't waste any time drawing them and thins out your deck to get the other cards you need to be successful. No reason not to have 2 in your deck since you're twice as likely to draw it and you never draw the other one whe you have one in play. Lots of great cards in the set and several crappy ones, just like every other set. Don't understand why everyone isn't thrilled that this set is available, especially since it isn't sanctioned and is only there to have new cards to enjoy using in casual play and not to be abused in tournaments like so many sanctioned cards from other sets. I've definitely enjoyed using them.

More
03 Nov 2013 19:11 #56184 by johannes

1. Designing a single card isn't hard.
2. Designing a set is very hard and takes more skills than designing a few cards.
3. Not every card is intended for every player, something Magic's lead designer mentions frequently.
4. Most card ideas are bad. I've been tasked with going through a player submitted file of card ideas in preparation of designing a CCG set before. Tons of ideas, 90%+ sucked.
5. Many of the bad card ideas have some element that isn't bad.
6. There are many ways to design the same card. And, whether doing top-down or bottom-up design, many, many times people will come up with the same idea, so there's little point to the concept of "This is my brilliant idea, the rest of you don't steal it."
7. You don't know how cards play until you actually play them, no matter how much of a genius I am.

There are side issues with a set like this because of the PCK drama, as people have pointed out. But, I would also say there are unrealistic expectations. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Ebony Kingdoms, a god awful set that might be used for comparison, is better than this set. But, the nature of so many comments not just here but in other threads is of the "you should have done a lot better" type, when I could say the same thing about most of the WotC and WW sets.

1. Disagree. Often hitting the proper power level is hard. In a simplified way: +1 is too bad and +2 is too good and now matter how much you shuffle things around you don´t find a middle way.

2. Yes, naturally, because you multiply the difficulty of designing one card by set size and then it has to come together as a set and not a bunch of cards and also should probably fill some gaps in the current game.

3. I dont´understand it, can you elaborate?

4/5. Seems to me that a lot of ideas are valid and just implementations are bad.

6. Yeah, Claiming "copyright" on a 6-cap vampire with SUP/SUP/SUP with a canon name is quite ridiculous. If these cards were released as regular fan created cards I am sure some of it could be salvaged for future work on tournament legal cards, but I understand that is not their intention. This makes absolutely no sense to me that people should play with those cards at home with the full knowledge that the experience will never matter for any tournament and not even for most casual games since those are often based on tournament legal cards as well.

7. It is true that it is hard to judge the finer nuances without actually playing, however you can see that cards can be obviously underpowered (Eyes of the Dead) or obviously overpowered (Return to Innocence) by merely looking at them. It seems to me that quite a number of cards from this set fall in one of the two categories.

More
03 Nov 2013 20:51 - 03 Nov 2013 20:52 #56191 by Juggernaut1981

(snip)
3. Not every card is intended for every player, something Magic's lead designer mentions frequently. (snip)

3. I dont´understand it, can you elaborate?

I think ICL is talking about ideas like:

1) Some people love to play "Green". So any number of kickass "White" or "Red" cards aren't going to be much interest to them.
The VTES Analogy is that almost everyone has a favourite clan, if you love your Brujah then something like Eternals of Sirius isn't going to float your boat

2) Some people love certain tech... Vote, Bleed, Block, Grinder, S&B, Allies, etc. If you love your Grinder-Wall decks, then realistically you aren't going to be too thrilled by an Obfuscate card which says "You may tap X younger vampires with [obf] to add +1 stealth to the current action".

3) Lots of cards, like knives/blades, can have vastly different uses in different combinations. Some people will want to use their cards like scalpels. Others will prefer to use their cards like a bayonet.

I do respect the opinions ICL has. I have found them to be well thought out and I know they come with the experience of being further behind the curtain of Industry than I have. I wasn't originally intending to go into that much of detail/rant about these cards. But with the past conflict and claims of copyright, superiority and so on... I had high expectations. If you're going to have that kind of conflict, I'd be hoping you'd be doing it because you are right. So yes, I was disappointed when they missed the mark on solving the problem, created cards with structural problems (like cards that lock down their own mechanics permanently or range-less grapples) and had a large number of cards that were very uninspiring. I also, not to try snipe at people who did playtest the PCK cards, think that PCK's playtesting systems need drastic improvement because of those structurally defective cards that made it into 'publication'.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Last edit: 03 Nov 2013 20:52 by Juggernaut1981.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds