file Attempt to Fix (not ban) Events

28 Feb 2014 08:38 #59455 by kombainas
From what I have seen, the problems usually arise not because a certain event is present, but due to multitude of them breaking the game completely for anyone other than someone who plays them with synergy.

Perhaps the number of events should be limited? E.g. if more than three events of the same type are present, the meth(s) controlling the most events of that type are ousted. I.e. I do not want to see "requires at least 2 Gehena cards in play" to become unplayable, but I do want the meth playing such events to weigh the risk, and not just casually play a card disabling whole archetypes while it is in play. Removing No Secrets is far easier than dealing with Fall of Camarilla...

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2014 10:18 #59456 by Azel

The proposed change is WAY too easy way to remove an annoying Event.

I see no reason to resort to that heavy Event termination.

Events can be annoying as hell but certainly adding this change would kill several deck types which would be way more harmful for the game than the proposed change is beneficial.

So in the words of Mr. Horse:
"No Sir, I don't like it!"

Way too easy like the already extant silver bullets? You still have to draw the card out of 70+ cards. You'd have to run an event to nuke another, and multiple copies add no value.

And I am wholly OK with shake ups to the metagame. I don't find Anthelios and Unmasking decks to be in a crippled position from this. Are there other decks you'd care to name that this will cripple?

More
28 Feb 2014 10:56 #59457 by a-e
I think that this change would increase number of events played. If you need the unmasking, well then you need to play some really irritating events first to bite out those events that others have just to counter events. And what about when there ain't anyone in the table that would play events? Well then all those events that were in the decks to just counter others will get played.

And if decks that used to play just unmasking and fbi start to add wormwood, veil of darkness, blood weakens and slow withering just to get others to destroy those with their events before they play unmasking, others need to pack more different events for countering. So in the end everyone will need to add event module to their decks.

Marko, Prince of Helsinki
The following user(s) said Thank You: librarian

More
28 Feb 2014 11:43 #59458 by Haze

I think that this change would increase number of events played. If you need the unmasking, well then you need to play some really irritating events first to bite out those events that others have just to counter events. And what about when there ain't anyone in the table that would play events? Well then all those events that were in the decks to just counter others will get played.

And if decks that used to play just unmasking and fbi start to add wormwood, veil of darkness, blood weakens and slow withering just to get others to destroy those with their events before they play unmasking, others need to pack more different events for countering. So in the end everyone will need to add event module to their decks.

this is what I think too, it creates a cold war! either everyone packs events as silver bullets against other people's silver bullet events, or all VTES players have a friendly disarmament treaty to never use events in decks again. if the latter, you might as well skip ahead to the banning phase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
28 Feb 2014 13:41 #59464 by jamesatzephyr

EA non-transient Event may be played, ignoring requirements, to destroy another non-transient Event in play. Both events are destroyed and move to the ash heap.

This affects all non-transient events, when plenty of them are fine. Looking at, for example, the Inconnu and Government events, I don't think any of them are problematic - and several of them do see semi-regular play in the TWDA. For example:

- NRA PAC is pretty solid for making equipment less annoying to use.
- Narrow Minds sees pretty regular play without totally hosing bounce.
- Dr. Marisa Fletcher is not especially more hateful than Millicent Smith.
- FBI Special Affairs Division has a pretty consistent presence in decks packing multiple allies.
- Bitter and Sweet Story is quietly awesome, and turns up a fair bit.

And yet if you're incentivising players to pack a bunch of Events in order to nuke Anthelios and friends, they also have the tech to wipe out these events that aren't causing problems.

So if the issue is largely confined to Gehenna events, perhaps the right thing to do is to create a few multi-functional cards that also harm Gehenna events in some way, but which are playable in their own right - by, perhaps, giving an ability to a clan/sect/whatever that doesn't already have access to it, or creating something brand new, or creating a subtle variation on an existing card that is similar but also hurts Gehenna events. Say:
Watch the World Burn
Political Action
Requires a Cardinal, Regent or Seraph. Unique.
Put this card in play. During each Methuselah's minion phase, the acting Methuselah must pay a pool before attempting any actions (including mandatory actions), or skip the rest of the phase. If that Methuselah controls a Gehenna event, they must burn one additional pool. Some burn clause.

The idea is a mini-First Tradition type thing.
Death Cult Bulletin Board
Master: unique location. 2 pool.
Tap to give +1 intercept to a vampire or mortal you control. If the acting minion's controller also controls a Gehenna event, your vampire or mortal gains an additional +1 intercept.

Comparable to other intercept locations. Modelled on KRCG but slightly less versatile (not able to give it to any minion for your Unmasking ally spree, not able to give it to other Methuselahs), but with a bonus vs Gehenna.

The Gathering Storm
Action Modifier. Requires a titled, Independent vampire, greater than 4 capacity.
1 blood.
This vampire gains 3 votes. If any other Methuselah controls a Gehenna event, this vampire gains an additional 2 votes. Only one Gathering Storm can be played per turn.

Not super great for those Independent clans who have solid vote push anyway e.g. is Bewitching Oration at PRE just better for Setites? But is it potentially interesting for those who have some titles they can't currently make much use of?

More
28 Feb 2014 15:05 - 28 Feb 2014 15:06 #59471 by librarian
Ummm, if you have an issue with events, what about The Uncoiling ?
A one card module to deal with events.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2014 15:06 by librarian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TryDeflectingThisGrapple

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds