file Ashur Tablet killer

03 Aug 2011 12:54 - 03 Aug 2011 12:58 #7299 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: Ashur Tablet killer

This isn't really any worse than how totally Scourge of the Enochians kill any strategy relying on weenies/embraces, and I haven't seen anyone crying about how that card is too powerful.

That's because nobody plays it. :) Mechanically, Scourge isn't nearly as powerful a hoser as this one is, due to its wandering nature and optional usage clause. Additionally, as you point out, Scourge was designed to be a silver bullet to a wide range of deck types, not just a few cards. Silver bullets are dumb generally, but are even dumber when they're built to target specific cards. Better to simply ban the targeted cards if they're actually a problem.

And come on, how many times do you see Summon soul in play? You may still play it, it only foster 2 more blood. And heart is stupid. It's way to usefull for a card that does not require anything.

The reason I specifically chose Summon Soul (there are other underpowered and balanced cards that this even will also nerf for no good reason) is exactly because it's not played often. The point of playtesting is to discover which cards get unnecessarily nerfed by new cards; making old, underplayed cards even worse is certainly not the goal of new cards - just the opposite, actually. New cards which unnecessarily nerf older cards, which themselves are already not great, aren't well-designed.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2011 12:58 by Kushiel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2011 15:28 #7301 by Lech
Replied by Lech on topic Re: Ashur Tablet killer
Summon Soul already was wallpaper since the release, just like most quietus cards and eyes of death. There is no need to discuss cornercase wallpapers.

:laso: :CEL: :DOM: :OBT: :POT: :cap8:
Sabbat.Black Hand Shakar: Lech loathe ranged weapons. Once each action, he may burn 1 blood to become Camarilla Prince of Krakow until the end of the action.

More
03 Aug 2011 17:35 #7303 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Ashur Tablet killer
is Ashur Tablets really that amazing? I mean I know they're decent, but is it worth silver-bulleting to the point that it's a -9 blood net loss?

Heart of Cheating is fine, it has a high risk of contesting.

ruins some vampire abilities like Henry Taylor and Aisata Swanou, and cards like Waste Management and Unity. very few people might play Summon Soul, but Sudario Refraction really gets hurt too.

I guess this is an easy way to deflect all criticism when designing your own cards. If a card is used a lot, it's obviously strong and deserves random nerfing! If a card is rarely used, it's wallpaper and there's no need to discuss it! brilliant!

how about we balance it out a little. let's say "requires 5 gehenna cards controlled by other methuselahs" there we go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kushiel, Kraus

More
03 Aug 2011 17:48 - 03 Aug 2011 17:50 #7304 by Kushiel
Replied by Kushiel on topic Re: Ashur Tablet killer

Summon Soul already was wallpaper since the release, just like most quietus cards and eyes of death.

Demonstrably false:
thelasombra.com/decks/twd.htm#2k9consumethedead

There might be more. I stopped looking after the first one.

There is no need to discuss cornercase wallpapers.

There is if you're actually doing playtesting. Again:

The reason I specifically chose Summon Soul (there are other underpowered and balanced cards that this even will also nerf for no good reason) is exactly because it's not played often. The point of playtesting is to discover which cards get unnecessarily nerfed by new cards; making old, underplayed cards even worse is certainly not the goal of new cards - just the opposite, actually. New cards which unnecessarily nerf older cards, which themselves are already not great, aren't well-designed.

Last edit: 03 Aug 2011 17:50 by Kushiel.

More
04 Aug 2011 04:39 #7316 by Baaliprimogen
Okay. If people are afraid of other cards, then we could add. "if you don't controll the edge, burn pool/blood.

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

More
04 Aug 2011 07:09 #7318 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: Ashur Tablet killer

Okay. If people are afraid of other cards, then we could add. "if you don't controll the edge, burn pool/blood.

Good modification. With that, I like it.

Ashur Tablets is much to strong - was there any playtesting at all of that card? Did the playtesters know about Liquidation? Did we need more cards to abuse with Anthelios?

All good ash heap manipulation should be necromancy. All good library manipulation should be VERY hard to pull off.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baaliprimogen

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds