file Card idea: Preacher

24 Aug 2011 08:41 #8904 by Mael
Replied by Mael on topic Re: Card idea: Preacher

This Preacher card idea just seems kind of annoying for the target, while being an inefficient use of actions for whoever's playing it. Instead of giving methuselahs an interesting choice, it brute-forces the issue in a dull way. And it's weak. Yech.

The thing is, it should be strong enough to be playable as a way of making your own vampires anarch (I think it is). The ability to make other people anarch is secondary, and can be used to help prevent the wrong person getting ousted by your anarch revolts, or to mess up a Black Hand or Aye/Orun deck that insists on leaving its key vampires not-anarch. The latter is why it needs to have a burn clause.

Actually the way you had it written before suggested that I would need to (D) action the minion that played Preacher, not the counter. Plus it seems silly to not make it so that the minion with the counter is the one to remove the counter; unless you meant to make it "any minion may remove the counter as a (D) action".

A (D) action against the methuselah who played the Preacher is how I imagined it. It also works as an undirected action though, and is less card text and means not having to care about who's counter it is, so is probably better overall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2011 09:40 #8908 by Haze
Replied by Haze on topic Re: Card idea: Preacher

This Preacher card idea just seems kind of annoying for the target, while being an inefficient use of actions for whoever's playing it. Instead of giving methuselahs an interesting choice, it brute-forces the issue in a dull way. And it's weak. Yech.

The thing is, it should be strong enough to be playable as a way of making your own vampires anarch (I think it is).

There are better and faster ways of going anarch. it's weaker than "Go Anarch", and nobody uses that one.

The ability to make other people anarch is secondary, and can be used to help prevent the wrong person getting ousted by your anarch revolts,

cornercase, since they can go anarch themselves. maybe you save them 1 pool, sometimes.

or to mess up a Black Hand or Aye/Orun deck that insists on leaving its key vampires not-anarch. The latter is why it needs to have a burn clause.

then it's just annoying at most, and they'll take the action to go un-anarch if needed. though actually, Black Hand vampires don't care if they're anarch, and it's hard to target a younger vampire with Orun...

why not just bleed for 1 instead of using this card

More
24 Aug 2011 11:29 - 24 Aug 2011 11:29 #8920 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Preacher
Maybe the card was nerfed to much to become very useful.
First version was the following, but I found it too powerful.

Name: Preacher
Cardtype: Action
+1 stealth action. Requires an anarch.
Put this card on this anarch and untap him or her at the end of the turn. During your untap phase, you may burn 1 blood to choose a ready younger non-anarch non-titled vampire. He or she becomes anarch (and Independent).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 11:29 by Ankha.

More
24 Aug 2011 14:19 #8924 by Mael
Replied by Mael on topic Re: Card idea: Preacher

There are better and faster ways of going anarch. it's weaker than "Go Anarch", and nobody uses that one.

I disagree, at
 it's about on a par, different (as Blooding and Mustajib are different from each other), and lacking the untap. At superior it's more akin to a minion based version of Seattle Committee or Twilight Camp. Also, I have seen "Go Anarch" played, as has the TWDA.

The ability to make other people anarch is secondary, and can be used to help prevent the wrong person getting ousted by your anarch revolts,

cornercase, since they can go anarch themselves. maybe you save them 1 pool, sometimes.

It's not cornercase as they are would both be elements of the same deck so are under your control when deckbuilding. People play with Boons for pretty much the same purpose.

or to mess up a Black Hand or Aye/Orun deck that insists on leaving its key vampires not-anarch. The latter is why it needs to have a burn clause.

then it's just annoying at most, and they'll take the action to go un-anarch if needed. though actually, Black Hand vampires don't care if they're anarch, and it's hard to target a younger vampire with Orun...

No, but vampires who want to become black hand do, as do BH vampires who want to be Abbot. Also, it's quite easy to target a younger vampire with 1 or 2 Orun, and if the card prevented him ever becoming Laibon again that's all he'd ever get. And those are just the first two sect based strategies I thought of, probably not the only ones.

I'm not saying that you would include the card for it's ability to mess with such decks, but it's an added bonus on a card that you include in a deck to make your own guys anarch.

why not just bleed for 1 instead of using this card

Why not just play Malk stealth bleed? Some people like a little variety. Apart from that, I really can't see how a card to make your guys anarch is comparable to bleeding for 1 as an action.

Maybe the card was nerfed to much to become very useful.
First version was the following, but I found it too powerful.

Name: Preacher
Cardtype: Action
+1 stealth action. Requires an anarch.
Put this card on this anarch and untap him or her at the end of the turn. During your untap phase, you may burn 1 blood to choose a ready younger non-anarch non-titled vampire. He or she becomes anarch (and Independent).

Agree that that's too powerful.
If you changed it to ...choose a ready younger non-anarch non-titled vampire you control. and added uniqueness to it, it would probably be balanced compared to Seattle Committee. When you include being able to change other players vampires sects then balance gets complicated.

More
24 Aug 2011 15:12 #8926 by Boris The Blade
The name is wrong: religious titles are granted by the Sabbat, not the Anarch.

More
24 Aug 2011 18:28 #8935 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Card idea: Preacher

The name is wrong: religious titles are granted by the Sabbat, not the Anarch.

Reverend Adams is Caitiff... That was more the sense of it.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds