file 2012 Storyline Progress Update

27 Jan 2012 12:06 #21824 by Azazel
It just depends where the results will have an impact. If they impact the whole game, then I just think this a wrong way to do things.
If it just impacts say next years NAC storyline then it's a different thing.
Either way being more exact how the storylines might make a difference in the game would be a good thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2012 14:30 #21834 by Lönkka
I'm rather aversed to the idea of having one tournament have an effect on the whole game.

Aren't the NAC torunaments also not THAT big in attendance?
Like in the 40-60 people range.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Azazel

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Jan 2012 17:29 - 27 Jan 2012 17:31 #21845 by echiang

It just depends where the results will have an impact. If they impact the whole game, then I just think this a wrong way to do things.
If it just impacts say next years NAC storyline then it's a different thing.
Either way being more exact how the storylines might make a difference in the game would be a good thing.

The major plot point will be determined by the Constructed storyline.
The secondary plot point will be determined by the Limited storyline.
The NAC event will only affect a relatively minor plot point.

The only potential impact on the game would be through storyline reward cards. The intention is to have storyline reward cards consistent with prior storyline reward cards. I particular like how the winning clan is integrated into Baltimore Purge and Fiendish Tongue (those cards are useful by themselves, but have an extra bonus for the winning clan) or Advanced vampires (within reason). Such storyline cards will go through the entire playtest process (as a normal card) and would be created taking into account the needs of the card game, the game balance of VTES, the canon background material, and the results of the storyline.

I'm rather aversed to the idea of having one tournament have an effect on the whole game.

Aren't the NAC torunaments also not THAT big in attendance?
Like in the 40-60 people range.

Well, that depends on what you see as "an effect on the whole game." There certainly will not be any super crazy stuff (no chance of a Nagaraja Justicar or an Abomination Regent). Any potential cards would go through the whole vetting process of playtest.

This is largely modeled after the Black Miracles and Lies storyline (NAC 2008), Friday the 13th storyline (EC 2009), and the various storylines that L5R has run over the past 17 years.

I don't recall hearing many concerns about the NAC 2008 or EC 2009 storylines (the one that I saw was Frederick Scott concerned about the availability of the Kaymakli Fragment promo).

Having the rare opportunity to have a smaller scale storyline also gives weaker clans a fair shot at winning. It's not as if the Harbingers, Nagaraja, or Salubri Antitribu are likely to win the global event (though I'd love to see them try and possibly do it), but it's more feasible that a good player might be able to win a single tournament with them (though of course the storyline results are not going to be earthshattering as a result either). I see it as a valuable opportunity to represent your clan, especially for those interested in the storyline and the canon backstory.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 17:31 by echiang.

More
27 Jan 2012 18:24 - 27 Jan 2012 18:25 #21850 by KevinM

Eric did say that each Continental Championship organizer has the ability and the right to participate in the One-Shot storyline. So, it appears that the storyline system is fair, and that the organizer of each CC should make room for the One-Shot event.

Aren't the NAC torunaments also not THAT big in attendance? Like in the 40-60 people range.

When has "size of a Continental Championship" ever mattered for anything, ever? Why even bring it up now?

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017
Last edit: 27 Jan 2012 18:25 by KevinM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: echiang

More
27 Jan 2012 18:51 #21854 by echiang

Eric did say that each Continental Championship organizer has the ability and the right to participate in the One-Shot storyline. So, it appears that the storyline system is fair, and that the organizer of each CC should make room for the One-Shot event.

Plus, the entire point of the Qualifier/Championship system, is to try and promote and emphasize the Continental Championships (including finding incentives to promote such premier events and encourage people to attend them). I think the one-shot storylines at Continental Championships help in that endeavor.

pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes

More
27 Jan 2012 18:57 #21855 by Haze
laugho at storylines affecting "the whole game"
because the reward cards haven't really been that earth-shattering in the past

if it were announced for the EC instead of the NAC nobody would be complaining

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds