file Let's Talk Rapid Thought!

03 May 2011 10:49 - 03 May 2011 10:51 #4069 by er-principe

So jumping in 10 minutes late...

Rapid Thought is a great tournament format. I ran a fantastic event at Origins a couple years back with, like, 20+ people, where we did 2 preliminary rounds and a final in less than 3 hours. Very few games timed out with the 45 minute rounds.

Rapid Thought uses, by design, 3 player games. As it means that everyone is directly interacting with everyone else and when someone is ousted, the game rapidly accelerates towards an end as opposed to plateauing and rebalancing. Which happens a lot in 5 player games. It also means that you can build your deck specifically knowing there will be exactly 3 players in each game, as opposed to maybe 4, maybe 5 (like in regular games). Having 3 players also means that everything will go a lot faster every time.

Aren't the banned cards also (and more anyhting else) speeding
up the such rapid games ?
I mean, with no pool recovery from master cards, the typical game
should accelerate a lot

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 03 May 2011 10:51 by er-principe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2011 11:07 #4070 by elotar
Let's play MTG? :pinch:

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
03 May 2011 11:12 #4071 by KevinM

You accused me of misinforming, which is ridiculous and really out of the scope of a polite and respectful discussion.

I have been polite and respectful with you this entire thread, Emiliano.

Do you feel that someone within your community, asking you multiple times to please not do a thing, showing proof of why it would be a bad thing for you to do, and showing you facts to support their reasons why they are asking you not to do such a thing, is disrespectful?

If you were to call your new format "Rapid Thought" when there is already a well-established, well-known, well-liked format with the *exact* *same* *name*, that would be the perfect definition of "misinformative". It was not a personal attack upon you and I am sorry if you took it that way.

You say "You are not in the position of accusing me of stealing anything," even though you stated very clearly your intent to use the name for your different format unless it was a "legal" name for the format.

You say "i've made clear from the start what's the point i addressed about rapid format," even though it wasn't clear to me, and so I kept asking you not to use the name. I am sorry if you thought that was pedantic, but until now you never answered that question.

You say "and it's blatantly obvious that speaking of some testing for the same format extend to 4-5 players table it's so pointless to being afraid of use, or refer to, a given name instead of another for such format (providing, as said, that the credits of the idea are always provided in the test). Ending up with positive test results, it's clear that a would be name would be different."

I'm glad to see that you aren't going to use the name "Rapid Thought" for your new format. That is all I have ever asked of you.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 May 2011 11:16 - 03 May 2011 11:17 #4072 by er-principe

You accused me of misinforming, which is ridiculous and really out of the scope of a polite and respectful discussion.

I have been polite and respectful with you this entire thread, Emiliano.

Accusing me out of nothing is not respecteful or polite.
Other than that, all of this is pretty OT right now
in an otherwise interesting and useful topic
Feel free to contact me privately if you want, i'll gladly
clear with you any question arisen from typical internet
misunderstandings.

thank you

Emiliano
vekn.net administrators staff
Last edit: 03 May 2011 11:17 by er-principe.

More
03 May 2011 11:20 #4073 by KevinM

I gave some quick examples of possible results with Life Boon / Withdraws above.

I see those, but I think you are misunderstanding the ruling that you are quoting. It is possible that I am the one misunderstanding but if that is the case it is only because LSJ's language is sometimes written for a specific answer to a specific question and not for a general answer, and the ruling I cited is a perfect example of this.

Indeed, you even reworded the ruling that he posted when you say

Life Boon awards half-VPs when half-VPs are awarded (until a full 1VP is awarded): [RTR 19991206]

Perhaps we should get a more clear, more exact ruling from LSJ? I cannot post on BSG, unfortunately.

Kevin M., Prince of Las Vegas
"Know your enemy and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment...Complacency...Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Please visit VTESville daily! vtesville.myminicity.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/129744447064017

More
03 May 2011 11:23 #4074 by Pascal Bertrand
Ok, I'll ask Scott on BGG (no stars involved ;))

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds