lightbulb Crypt card redesign

19 Sep 2016 11:59 - 19 Sep 2016 12:16 #78381 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

Ok I didn't saw your post before posting my last.
Maybe I made a poor choice of word when I said that you were nitpicking. :blush:

No worries. We have same intent and goal, which is to improve the layout as best we can. Even where I think the implementation is bad, I know the intent behind the idea is good.

The thing is, that there will always be component that restrain the text box.

This is very true, and within the Design Team I've had a hard rule about only having four lines of text for crypt cards. This is for a couple of reasons:

- It forces us to write text in the simplest and most efficient way possible, which is almost always the best way possible.
- It encourages readibility, as five lines of text results in an annoyingly small font.
- Short and sweet leads to better playability.

We've had some exceptions to this, particularly in the Storylines 2015 mini set, but we want to keep those exceptions very few.

I like extending the text box into the attribute bar, as it allows either about 3/4 of an additional line's worth of text without sacrificing readibility, or it allows for an increase in font size, which improves readibility.

If I understand our two opinions correctly you want to optimize that space as much as possible. While I think that we should be satisfied by what we gained and allow ourself the "luxury" of making the traits more noticeable.

Yes, I'd say that's an accurate assessment.

As for making efficient use of space, and how much space is really being gained, here's another example:

EDIT: It's the exact same issue with your proposed layout. Just move the clan icon into the text box as a watermark.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 12:16 by BenPeal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2016 13:04 - 19 Sep 2016 13:18 #78383 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
Ok. So far we are good then ! :)

As for making efficient use of space, and how much space is really being gained, here's another example:

EDIT: It's the exact same issue with your proposed layout. Just move the clan icon into the text box as a watermark.

As for this last assessment, I have to disagree... :P

The way I see it, you forgot 2 things.
1) the fact that the black box will have, at least, a clan and a sect. Sure there will still be some waste but some vampire will probably have none(ex : Jamal, Alicia Burrows or Scott Youngwood, etc.)
2) with the removal of the clan icon from the side bar, we get one full line of text available (unless you want to keep the space for vampire with 8 disciplines ?)

File Attachment:

EDIT : one other thing worth considering is that, by having the clan written il full letters in every cards, we gain space whenever a clan appears in an ability. It's not much, but it's definitely a gain on some cards like Keminitri ADV, Legba, Lisandro Giovanni, etc.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2016 13:18 by 666Raziel.

More
19 Sep 2016 15:13 #78385 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign
Using a watermark (or any representation of the clan underneath some text) is a bad idea, as it makes it really difficult to spot.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
19 Sep 2016 15:41 #78387 by BenPeal
Attachments:

More
19 Sep 2016 15:50 #78388 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

Using a watermark (or any representation of the clan underneath some text) is a bad idea, as it makes it really difficult to spot.

What makes you say that ? (They seems pretty visible on Android Netrunner.)

Besides, the main purpose of the watermark is to fill the textbox when there is no text along with keeping the clan icon somewhere on the crypt card.
The fact that some of them might be hard to spot is no big deal.

More
19 Sep 2016 16:01 #78389 by BenPeal
Attachments:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds