lightbulb Crypt card redesign

20 Sep 2016 06:53 - 20 Sep 2016 07:32 #78409 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign

Can we see what the cards would look like using the following specifications as given by the Rules Team, Design Team, and Art Team?

- Fixed text box size (4 lines of text).
- Advanced icon directly below the clan icon instead of at the top of the disciplines.
- Clan name removed.

Sure, although 4 lines of text is not a fixed size. That would depend on the font size, spacing, amount of text and even the characters used.

For the below I've just used the average height inner circle text:

The empty white space looks tragic on the cards without much text — they almost look unfinished, like someone doesn't care.

And even the cards with a decent amount of text can have padding inconsistencies — this correlates with my above statement that 4 lines of text is not a fixed height. Yes, you can adjust leading, kerning and font-size according (the system does some of this) — however readability soon goes down the toilet once these fall out of certain ranges.

Rules Team, Design Team, and Art Team

That would be you, Mike, Pascal, Vincent and Gines — correct?
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 07:32 by Ke.. Reason: typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, BenPeal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2016 06:59 #78410 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Crypt card redesign
And here's a Helena Advance comparison without the advance icon:

The following user(s) said Thank You: BenPeal

More
20 Sep 2016 07:37 - 20 Sep 2016 07:39 #78411 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

The empty white space looks tragic on the cards without much text — they almost look unfinished, like someone doesn't care.

That's exactly because they're unfinished. ;) They don't have the proper leading, spacing, kerning, font sizing, etc. For the V:EKN sets, Vincent created a card generator that has logic to cover those things. Did he share it with you? It doesn't give us the quality one would get from a professional typesetter, but lacking the funds for that it's working quite well.

As for fixed-sized box vs. un-fixed-sized box, I really like the consistency of the overall look of the fixed-sized box. It's especially noticeable when you look at a row of cards side by side. For me, the un-fixed-size box results in a jumbled look when the cards are seen side by side. Having only two text box sizes aids in cross-table crypt-vs-library recognition.

Quick note: your generator isn't bolding the Laibon sect and Magaji title.

Another note: How about toning down the text box by making it a shade of grey? The white seems kinda loud.

Rules Team, Design Team, and Art Team

That would be you, Mike, Pascal, Vincent and Gines — correct?

Correct.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 07:39 by BenPeal.

More
20 Sep 2016 08:16 #78412 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Crypt card redesign

Hey, thanks for looking into this one. It's definitely the worst-case issue for attribute bar problems. From a Design Team perspective, I'd be inclined to have a hard limit of six disciplines regardless of whether the vampire is Advanced. Helena Adv and Don Cerro are fun curiosities, but I doubt I'd make more of them. Perhaps it might come up if there was a canon reason to add a discipline to a Advanced vampire who already has six disciplines, but that could also be addressed in merged text.

More
20 Sep 2016 08:51 #78413 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

Hey, thanks for looking into this one. It's definitely the worst-case issue for attribute bar problems. From a Design Team perspective, I'd be inclined to have a hard limit of six disciplines regardless of whether the vampire is Advanced. Helena Adv and Don Cerro are fun curiosities, but I doubt I'd make more of them. Perhaps it might come up if there was a canon reason to add a discipline to a Advanced vampire who already has six disciplines, but that could also be addressed in merged text.

The advanced symbol could be move after the vampire name.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
20 Sep 2016 08:57 - 20 Sep 2016 08:57 #78414 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

That's exactly because they're unfinished. ;) They don't have the proper leading, spacing, kerning, font sizing, etc. For the V:EKN sets, Vincent created a card generator that has logic to cover those things. Did he share it with you?

The code was opened source until Google Code closed. I still haven't migrated the repository to something public (because I'd like to keep the history but it's somehow complicated) but I can send the code by mail.

The algorithm does trial and error by changing the font size and checking if it respects a list of layout rules in order to match the layout of the printed sets.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 20 Sep 2016 08:57 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds