file Anthololgy Set, or, FU Non EU players

03 Mar 2017 16:14 #80987 by fredsct

You, Sir, seem to continuously perceiving the glass as half empty.
The good Mr. Benjamin Peal just suggested in another thread that the organizers have been impressed with the order numbers for the set which, in more positive mindset would be augured as a positive sign for the future of the possible additional reprints.

Huh?!? Well, OF COURSE the order numbers for the set are high - due to the artificial rarity conditions created by the requirement that one can only get these by attending the single event in Berlin. The collectible attraction of artificial rarity has long been understood and exploited by sports and gaming card industry. The trouble is caused by the corresponding damage it does to the perceived fairness of the game, for reasons I've already mentioned.

I will also add that "high" is an entirely unspecific comparative term that's pretty much meaningless, here. I'm sure Ben is being sincere about his impression of the numbers but I don't think it's worth us taking much comfort from such a description at this point. To really mean much, I'd want hear phrases like "flooded with orders" and "people are stunned" to be much impressed that I'm likely going to be wrong about this in the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blooded Sand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2017 10:46 #81014 by Tendoncutter
I'm not quite sure what we are actually complaining about here?

Is it surprising that a european-based publisher/new licenseholder wanted to do a production test-run of a game that has been off the shelves for 5+ years after dwindling interest, and decided to keep it limited to gauge said interest, while boosting attendance at their own event? It doesn't seem all that surprising...

With regards to fairness, it has been mentioned that people without access to the Anthonlogy set, would be at a disadvantage to people who did have access. While we all do live in a global reality, how big of an issues is this? Is travelling to competitions at other continents that common? Some stats on this would be nice, as this seems to be the main issue?
For instance, how many europeans attended NAC the past five years and vice versa? or SAC/NAC for that matter? Or other similar, larger events?
I'm curious of the above, because beyond that, it's hard to get past the "If I can't have it, noone can"-vibe of this thread. Which I guess is somewhat understandable, but not all that productive in terms of reviving the game..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Kushiel, Vlad, self biased, Ezra, Bloodartist

More
08 Mar 2017 10:14 - 08 Mar 2017 10:17 #81030 by fredsct

With regards to fairness, it has been mentioned that people without access to the Anthonlogy set, would be at a disadvantage to people who did have access.

This. This is the thing that is being complained about.

While we all do live in a global reality, how big of an issues is this?

Well, it kind of depends. Had they been merely reprinting a few Blood Dolls in a charming new color, all would be well.

Had they been printing "Win Game" cards, that would utterly ruin the game as a matter of play balance. See, that's the really novel twist with respect to CCGs: you actually *CAN* ruin a CCG - even one that hasn't had new cards in years - just by printing a few new legal cards. If they're the wrong cards.

Granted, it does not look like the anthology set has any "win game" cards, although there are reprints of insanely expensive cards, I note. My personal bone of contention isn't the high powered super-rare reprints, although I think these are definitely a bad thing to be handing out in this extremely limited way, too. Personally, I mind the new cards, what are effectively super rare promo cards. I've long believed promo cards that are too narrowly distributed are bad things and I've long appreciated that VtES never did this. Until now.

Is travelling to competitions at other continents that common?

Well, no. And that's precisely the problem. If you don't expect people on other continents to travel to the one place in the world the promos are being given out, how can such people ever get them - except by paying huge prices on the secondary market?

I'm curious of the above, because beyond that, it's hard to get past the "If I can't have it, noone can"-vibe of this thread.

Don't get past it. That actually IS the point! You sound like you've gotten stuck on the idea of that a dog-in-the-manger is a bad thing. But I'm saying, having starving dogs in mangers is actually the precise thing that kills a CCG. So if you hear some growling, don't blame the dogs. Blame the folks who forgot to feed them.

Fred
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 10:17 by fredsct.

More
08 Mar 2017 10:34 - 08 Mar 2017 10:36 #81031 by TwoRazorReign

With regards to fairness, it has been mentioned that people without access to the Anthonlogy set, would be at a disadvantage to people who did have access.

This. This is the thing that is being complained about.

Are you aware that printed proxies are legal? In other words, everybody has access to every card ever printed. This sort of undercuts your entire argument.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 10:36 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
08 Mar 2017 20:46 #81035 by talonz
I want real legal cards dammit. What is so hard about this to understand?

More
08 Mar 2017 21:34 - 08 Mar 2017 21:38 #81038 by TwoRazorReign
That's definitely understood. But the whole argument that people who get their hands on this set will have a competitive advantage or financial advantage (by reselling the cards) is just plain nonsense. Proxies are legal. One can compete in a tournament with a competitive deck at relatively minimal cost if so inclined.

If you want to argue that the event organizers should not try to drum up attendance by making the set exclusively available to attendees, by all means, argue that point. That's the only argument I've heard so far that makes any sense.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2017 21:38 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Tendoncutter

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.684 seconds