check State of the V:EKN: News from the printshop

21 Sep 2013 09:05 #54210 by hardyrange

Let´s see what GenCon brings.

As we have not seen any follow-up, may I assume that GenCon has not brought any progress?
If so: What is your expectation re the ongoing negotiations re POD? Do you still think this has a realistic chance to ever materialize, and if so, what would be your guess about the timeline?

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2013 11:03 #54211 by johannes
Here is the latest update about POD:

Against our long-time expectations we were not able to put together a licensing deal. The project is not finally dead, but for the time being we are at a no-go status. I don´t expect any changes within the next 6 months either, the situation might never change.

Therefore we will proceed with the PDF release of Danse Macabre.

I will put together a proper announcement ASAP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Lönkka, acbishop, Joscha, Vlad, self biased

More
21 Sep 2013 12:35 #54218 by hodgestar
I confused and saddened that we live in a world were it can be legal to distribute a PDF but not print said PDF on pieces of cardboard and give them to others. :/

More
21 Sep 2013 13:54 - 21 Sep 2013 13:56 #54219 by hardyrange
Thanks Johannes, for the news....

A mixed blessing, but this was what I had been asking for - a decision to ignore the POD path (at least for the time being), and finally get new cards out, even in the less preferred PDF format.

Again: Thanks for your efforts thus far, and let's hope players out there can enjoy Danse Macabre, even if it will not be "real cards".

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager
Last edit: 21 Sep 2013 13:56 by hardyrange.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, Robert Goudie, Joscha

More
21 Sep 2013 16:02 #54220 by johannes

I confused and saddened that we live in a world were it can be legal to distribute a PDF but not print said PDF on pieces of cardboard and give them to others. :/

The former is done completely non-profit as fan-based content (which we have permission to do) and the latter would be run by a company for a profit. Pretty simple :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
21 Sep 2013 18:21 #54229 by ReverendRevolver

The former is done completely non-profit as fan-based content (which we have permission to do) and the latter would be run by a company for a profit. Pretty simple :)

Its still dissappointing. Its not as though the IP is turning profit otherwise. Its not as though there needs to be design effort on the ip holders. A not for profit group of volunteers has done all the legwork for the fist set, and its just about getting money for the product being printed. Royalties for the ip of vampire are deckmaster, print and such costs for onebookshelf, and maybe something for artists.

Its really a shame the companies couldnt be bothered to make some amount of money for little more than oking someone else to do the work for them, with zero actual risk for anyone other than drive thru cards.

So, im back to where i was after CCP announced the game was dead in new orleans. I can keep playing. Im not getting cards cheaper than i see them now, theyre gonna go up. I cant get new players (who wants a suboptimal card pool if they spend 3 months understanding the game? Who wants a new hobby where its like mtg with more strategies and no cash or card prizes?).

I still greatly appreciate the efforts of the DT. Seriously, you folks have busted your balls to make this game stay alive. And half the online community seemed to bitch about some part of this. Im excited to see the indy set still.

But im quite pissed that all of that work and they get stuck on computer paper with the artists getting nothing, and a game that cant get staple cards to a playerbase thats gonna shrink.

Also, Johannes, thank you for posting this. I would have hid in a cave, sent bribes to soften the blow, and then reported it anonymously. Bad news is always bad. Even thr impatient people wouldve rather heard today that pod starts soon than pod starts never, watch for pdf sets.

Lots of doors just closed. A very sad day for vtes and Garfeild games in general.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds