check State of the V:EKN: News from the printshop

10 Sep 2013 10:15 #53987 by Adonai

Id it possible to have something to meke people wait for the game to be reborn like some good previews?

Or a storyline, or a special series of events, or anything organized at the international level to enthuse all players?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981, Amenophobis, SLave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2013 13:14 #53990 by SLave
Yes, a storyline is something worth discussing. One more point to cover during the coming NC debate in Stockholm. One more point to consider. I have no doubt most of the players would welcome it with open arms.

More
10 Sep 2013 16:45 #53991 by BenPeal
The notes from the National Coordinator meeting at the EC will also be shared with the entire V:TES community here on vekn.net. :)

More
10 Sep 2013 17:02 #53992 by hardyrange

And maybe a timeline could be decided in which at some point, if PoD is not yet officially scheduled, the new set will be legal for PDF play.

I second that motion.

I was willing to accept a delay in seeing new cards published, if there is a chance to see POD.
But I think we should set a deadline, after which we accept that POD is not going to happen, and instead proceed with other means to keep the game alive.

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
10 Sep 2013 18:07 #53994 by BenPeal

And maybe a timeline could be decided in which at some point, if PoD is not yet officially scheduled, the new set will be legal for PDF play.

I second that motion.

I was willing to accept a delay in seeing new cards published, if there is a chance to see POD.
But I think we should set a deadline, after which we accept that POD is not going to happen, and instead proceed with other means to keep the game alive.

When the Design Team and the idea of creating new cards to be published via .pdf files was formulating, it was under the expectation that no publisher was going to pick up V:TES and bring it back to print. That remained true until very late in the development process for Danse Macabre, when we were approached by Steve Weick and Onebookshelf.com about negotiations amongst them, Hasbro, and CCP about acquiring the licenses and bringing the game back in print via print-on-demand. This news was a surprise to the Design Team. At that point, the development context changed from "release .pdfs even though we don't have copyright" to "wait until we get the green light from the IP owners so we don't interfere with or jeopoardize license negotiations".

Soon after Steve Wieck contacted us, Johannes proposed the idea to him that we release Danse Macabre as a .pdf set in advance of POD. At the time, we were instructed not to do that, and to wait to see how the negotiations with Hasbro and CCP would go. We were also told that these types of negotiations can go very slowly. As it turns out, these negotiations are going very slowly. On top of it, it is Steve Wieck and Onebookshelf.com who are doing the negotiating, not Johannes, the Design Team, the V:EKN ICs, or anyone else in the V:EKN. As such, we have no direct insight into this process, so the slowness of the negotiation process is made all the more frustrating by the lack of direct information and understanding of how this all works. That said, I repeated my request for a .pdf release of Danse Macabre more than a month ago. I was told to sit tight and be patient, and that a decision on that might not happen until after the EC.

I understand that patience is a virtue. I understand that "hurry the fuck up" is also a virtue. :) I want these cards in your hands. I want the volunteer artists to be able to show off their work and sell the original pieces so they can get money for their efforts. Again, my preference is that the Danse Macabre cards be released as .pdf files in advance of POD. However, my overriding preference is that V:TES comes back into print. Given that there are active and ongoing - albeit agonizingly slow - negotiations amongst Onebookshelf.com, Hasbro, and CCP about the respective licenses, I will act under the guidance of those parties so as not to interfere with or jeopardize their efforts. I will not act unilaterally and against their requests and guidance, but I will continue to request of them and advocate a .pdf release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhattara, er-principe, Damnans, Brum, Szewski, Lönkka, Joscha, brandonsantacruz, Dorrinal, KevinM, Walt, Ashur, ruiza97, Kraken, Vlad, ReverendRevolver, Boris The Blade, jtroyve, Pendargon, DeathInABottle and 6 other people also said thanks.

More
11 Sep 2013 06:12 #53999 by Joscha
THAT was a clear explanation of why it lasts so long.

I really much appreciate that someone lets us know what excactly is going on. It is very valuable to know that the VEKN-representants are not in charge of the delay. I can't emphazize that fact enough.

Communication is the key.

Baron of Frankfurt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Boris The Blade

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds