times State of the V:EKN - October 2013

27 Oct 2013 14:41 #55761 by Damnans
Just to clarify things... the kind of rewards I am proposing are immaterial, given that the V:EKN handles no money (e.g., automatic qualification for CC's, a player's portrait on a card, etc.)

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2013 14:51 #55763 by ReverendRevolver

Just to clarify things... the kind of rewards I am proposing are immaterial, given that the V:EKN handles no money (e.g., automatic qualification for CC's, a player's portrait on a card, etc.)

I assumed something like that.....

Hey, i know of at least one player who was supposed to be on a card, Lawrence Snelly did his portrait, and they never used it. This was ccp era. Any way to correct this? Personally, knowing the player, hes a ventrue or a malk for sure, but they never printed him.

More
27 Oct 2013 15:24 #55764 by drnlmza

I suggest that instead of trying to penalize people who are currently active, try to build up your player base and organize more tournaments.

And those of us living in areas with small player bases quite far removed from other groups are likely to take offense at comments like these.

All this sort of initiative, especially if supported by sentiments like this, is likely to do is make my players feel even less invested in the idea of supporting the VEKN as an organisation, since it's focus is so clearly only on the major playgroups.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
27 Oct 2013 21:00 #55771 by Lönkka

I suggest that instead of trying to penalize people who are currently active, try to build up your player base and organize more tournaments.

And those of us living in areas with small player bases quite far removed from other groups are likely to take offense at comments like these.

Oh, now people need to be PC about commenting in the forum since the ones who aren't active are likely to take offence. See if I ******* care... *

All this sort of initiative, especially if supported by sentiments like this, is likely to do is make my players feel even less invested in the idea of supporting the VEKN as an organisation, since it's focus is so clearly only on the major playgroups.

I do suggest your players get effin furios at me and prove me wrong and make South Africa the effin VTES capital of the world. Organize frequent tournaments and if there aren't enough active players get off your collective heinies and recruit more. DON'T DREAM IT -BE IT!

* The last sentence here only reflects only reflects the personal opinions of the writer and not VEKN as official whole. If you take offense take it against the writer (who doesn't ******* care) and not the organization, hokay?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
27 Oct 2013 21:34 #55774 by fredsct

I do suggest your players get effin furios at me and prove me wrong and make South Africa the effin VTES capital of the world. Organize frequent tournaments and if there aren't enough active players get off your collective heinies and recruit more. DON'T DREAM IT -BE IT!

Yawn. Look, I don't think there's any need to be PC. It's just that your "suggestions" are so irrevelevent to the point. The problem is, much though I understand and sympathize that Ginés is just trying to do something to spark more interest in playing tournaments and having fun, the way the VEKN ranking system is constituted is not going to ever be relevent to much of the world no matter how much the local prince develops his player base. It's like starting a coupon collection contest when 98% of the places that give out the coupons are located in Europe.

Without bothering to bore people with the challenges to creating and maintaining a player base in a city in the American west, the point is that even if I found 100 VtES players here in Phoenix, AZ and many of them became addicted tournament players - something that will never happen - it STILL wouldn't be anything like living in an area concentrated with other cities that one could easily drive to in order to play in THEIR tournaments, too.

I often see the other guy's point of view - but in this case, no. There's no debate here. VEKN rankings are not fair and can't possibly be fair using the approach that was teken to create them. If you enjoy looking at them, then great. But they need to not be used in any situations where fairness is required.

More
27 Oct 2013 21:57 #55776 by Lönkka

Without bothering to bore people with the challenges to creating and maintaining a player base in a city in the American west, the point is that even if I found 100 VtES players here in Phoenix, AZ and many of them became addicted tournament players - something that will never happen - it STILL wouldn't be anything like living in an area concentrated with other cities that one could easily drive to in order to play in THEIR tournaments, too.

Well, Helsinki has some 20 or so active players at the moment (I'm counting only people who attend several tournament per year). We usually do get some people from out of city as well who drive some 2 hours to attend and often without these we'd have less than 10 people.

So even if the player base is not really that big we still do manage to play a tournament a month. So I'd hardly call it something that will not be possible to make reality elsewhere too.

Just yesterday we had two people attend who have never been to our local tournaments before and last month had some very new players attend too.

Make the ratings more relevant to your players by organizing more tournaments. Heck, even a relatively crappy players who attend regularily can rack up come points.

I do also agree that there is hardly any point of giving freebies to the highest ranking people. Legendary Vampire (which I though was excellent idea) was played in Paris EC and has not been played ever since as it has been replaced in the ECs since by Nations Cup which I consider an inferior format.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds