times State of the V:EKN - October 2013

28 Oct 2013 09:49 - 28 Oct 2013 09:51 #55807 by Ankha

I was not talking about you personal motivations, no hard feelings ;-) I agree with you that we have to be careful about "rewards" from the ranking system. I still think there are valid rewards with a seemingly "unfair" (sounds so negative, let´s say sub-optimal) system. Like having a Legendary Vampire tournament.

Agreed. It may be harder for people from the US to be in the top 25 players (though not impossible at all), but US players that would come to a European Championship are the most likely to travel and do more tournaments.
People that don't come won't care I guess :)

Or like awarding a small subset of 2nd day spots to the top X (small being <=10%).

I dislike this idea, even if we restrict it to a continent (eg. considering only the top X European players for the EC) because it would change the nature of the Continental Championships. This is personal taste, but giving an equal chance to access the Day 2 to every qualified player sounds more fair to me than disadvantaging players (because there will be less open spots) that couldn't attend lots of tournament a given year.

Card art portraits are probably the best option of all because this is a non-monetary value outside of the competition.

That is a nice idea, but it shouldn't reward world ranking only.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 09:51 by Ankha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2013 09:52 #55808 by hardyrange

I dislike this idea, even if we restrict it to a continent (eg. considering only the top X European players for the EC) because it would change the nature of the Continental Championships. This is personal taste, but giving an equal chance to access the Day 2 to every qualified player sounds more fair to me than disadvantaging players (because there will be less open spots) that couldn't attend lots of tournament a given year.

Yes, my feelings, too...

"It was a perfect plan - until it had contact with reality"
---
Hardy Range
Playgroup Tradition Compliance Manager

More
28 Oct 2013 10:52 #55811 by johannes

I don´t think it is the greatest idea either, but I think it might be still valid. You just have to make sure the "disadvantage" is relatively low, i.e I don´t really care if I have to be Top38 or Top40.

There are precedents for both cases by the way. Some sports allow for direct advancement of high ranked players into the further rounds of a competition while others require everybody to go through the same amount of "heats/prerounds".

I general I am pro rewarding a good ranking however I think that being ranked in the Top X of the world is quite rewarding itself so can afford to be careful. We could also think about passing trophy, say a #1 player in Europe cup, which changes to the person with the most weeks on #1 spot since last EC or so.

More
28 Oct 2013 11:01 #55812 by Pascal Bertrand
@Fred : would the "rating" system be more fair if it only took into account the best result of each player over the past 18 months (instead of the top 8 results of each player) ?

How about the top 2 best?

Now, the question is, if we keep this philosophy of merely selecting the top N results of each player (this is debatable, but would need way more time than available), which N provides the fairest result?

More
28 Oct 2013 11:31 #55817 by Lönkka

Or like awarding a small subset of 2nd day spots to the top X (small being <=10%). Card art portraits are probably the best option of all because this is a non-monetary value outside of the competition.

I agree on both.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
28 Oct 2013 14:09 #55826 by fredsct

This isn't sports, it's a hobby collectible card game named VtES and people don't behave the same way as famous athletes - so such comparisons are silly.

Actually, Chess is sports.
And when I reserved the ferry tickets to Team Finland for this year's EC we got a sports club discount which just proves that even mundanes think that we're sports... ;)

Sure. And incidences of unbridled poker pervade the sports cable channels here in the United States. It's almost as inane as calling golf a sport. :sick: Fortunately, there are lots of cable channels and it's still easier to change your channel than shoot your TV set.

But I'm just saying, such analogies only lead to insanity. It's technically possible to overcome issues of effort. Like the guy who said:

It may be harder for people from the US to be in the top 25 players (though not impossible at all)...

Of course it's not impossible at all. A U.S. player could quit his job, fly to Europe, rent a flat, and travel around to all the tournaments for 6 months or a year and if he was really any good, he'll have his ranking up in the top 25 in no time at all. Of course, some might then argue he'd become a Europen player but either way, it's not a value system most of us expect from a VtES player. In many sports and in the top levels of things like chess and poker, there's a different value system which doesn't apply to us - I least I hope! So such analogies should be entirely avoided, or at the very least, one needs to take the differences in value systems into account.

Fred

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds