check THE CURRENT STATE OF V:TES - November 2015

02 Nov 2015 08:40 - 03 Nov 2015 19:16 #74017 by Damnans
THE CURRENT STATE OF V:TES
November 2015

Onebookshelf V:TES project stopped
As many of you already know, OneBookShelf was in negotiations with Wizards of the Coast for the Wizards license and with CCP Games for the World of Darkness license, in order to bring V:TES back in print.

WIZARDS OF THE COAST FRONT

On the one hand, the cost of the Wizards license, which was not disclosed, was never mentioned as an issue by Onebookshelf, so negotiations continued.

Managing the project would involve a review and approval process for artwork and content before the Wizards imprint could be added to a product. Unfortunately there was nobody at Wizards who had ever worked on Jyhad/V:TES, which, added to the lack of interest by anyone internally at Wizards to manage the project, led Wizards to inform Onbookshelf that they were definitely not interested in pursuing a V:TES project.

Ben Peal sent a message to personal contacts in Wizards' Research and Development department inquiring about the possibility of anyone they knew of in the company who would be interested in managing the project. But no response was received.

CCP GAMES FRONT
On the other hand, CCP Games suspended the negotiations after they cancelled the World of Darkness Online, saying that they were re-evaluating their properties to determine what to do with them going forward, which led to a sale of the White Wolf properties to Paradox.

Furthermore, the V:EKN Design Team, at the request of Onebookshelf back in November 2014, developed a concept for a boxed set of Sabbat-themed starter decks intended as the launch product for a Kickstarter if the licenses were obtained. That Product was almost entirely reprints, but with about a dozen new crypt cards and one new library card.

A graphic designer was contracted and created a mock-up of the box design.

Consequently, the starter decks and the new cards, which were part of the project proposal to Wizards and CCP, were tested from December 2014 to January 2015. So had the licenses been acquired, the Kickstarter would have been launched the very next day.

The V:EKN Design Team is to release those cards designed as part of a Sabbat-themed PDF mini-set in 2016.

MEETING WITH STEVE WIECK

After this chain of events, there was an in-person meeting with Steve Wieck (owner of OneBookShelf.com, on the board of directors for CCP), Johannes Walch (partner in OneBookShelf.com and member of the VEKN Inner Circle), and Ben Peal (Design Team Leader) in Germany.

Steve pointed out that OneBookShelf was only interested in publishing V:TES, not any other WOD-themed CCG. Therefore, a non-VTES WOD-themed CCG would require a different publisher.

Steve Wieck also informed that CCP was not interested in licensing the World of Darkness IP for a V:TES-compatible collectible card game that cut out the Wizards properties, mainly because CCP was concerned about a possible lawsuit from Wizards.

WHICH ALTERNATIVES DO WE HAVE NOW?

1. Continuing the production of PDF sets to keep promoting V:TES, while contacting Paradox for the publication of V:TES.

2. Allowing proxy cards in tournaments, so that new players can have access to difficult-to-acquire cards, in which regard, the VEKN is conducting as of today an online survey for everyone interested to give their opinion on the subject.

:vtes: V:EKN Website Coordinator

:baal: :AUS: :DAI: :FOR: :OBF: :PRE: :MAL: :STR: :flight: :cap11:
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 19:16 by Damnans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2015 09:37 - 02 Nov 2015 09:46 #74022 by Borrelstein
It is understandable that CCP postponed the decision while they were in the process of selling off their WoD IP. Now that the deal is done, I would regard Paradox as a new chance to reopen the discussion.

With respect to Wizards, it is a pity that they have no-one involved internally, it is somewhat surprising that they have no interest in free money and choose to let the IP sit on the shelf rather than licensing out.

Who are the contacts within the Wizards company that we have access to?
From a brief internet search I have the impression that a guy named Nicholas Mitchell is the attorney in charge of licensing programmes, did we get into touch with him?

PS my offer to help out on IP matters still stands, just let me know.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2015 09:46 by Borrelstein.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, BenPeal, Clément, Ashur, brettscho

More
02 Nov 2015 09:56 #74023 by BenPeal

It is understandable that CCP postponed the decision while they were in the process of selling off their WoD IP. Now that the deal is done, I would regard Paradox as a new chance to reopen the discussion.

As mentioned previously, getting those channels opened is in progress by the V:EKN ICs. Paradox mentioned that communicating with the communities of the White Wolf games is a priority for them. We're one of those communities, and there's no sense in waiting for them to find us.

With respect to Wizards, it is a pity that they have no-one involved internally, it is somewhat surprising that they have no interest in free money and choose to let the IP sit on the shelf rather tan licensing out.

There's a lot about the whole situation that I personally find exasperating. One is what you just mentioned - it's not much money, but it's also not much work. Just take the money. How does Netrunner get back in print and not V:TES? How does Up Front! - a Wizards property - get back in print after twenty years - by OneBookshelf! - and not V:TES? Not that I begrudge Netrunner or Up Front! - they're fantastic games and it's great that they're back. It's just mystifying with respect to V:TES.

Who are the contacts within the Wizards company that we have access to?
From a brief internet search I have the impression that a guy named Nicholas Mitchell is the attorney in charge of licensing programmes, did we get into touch with him?

My personal contacts at Wizards are senior members of Wizards' R&D staff. I'm not giving out their names because, well, they're personal contacts and I don't want to alienate them by having their inboxes flooded.

To my understanding, OneBookShelf was working with Wizards' brand management team and not their legal team. OBS does a lot of business with Wizards on a wide range of products and brand imprints.

PS my offer to help out on IP matters still stands, just let me know.

Appreciated. If something comes up, we'll be in touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, brettscho

More
02 Nov 2015 10:12 - 02 Nov 2015 10:14 #74025 by elotar
If WotC are not interested even in discussing this project, they obviously will not take any legal action to fight for their vague IP in VTES. Can we already drop this theme from all topics, concerning future of VtES?

But I think before making any big decisions we have to hear something from Рaradox. As I understand, they promised to be open to comunication with the fans.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2015 10:14 by elotar.

More
02 Nov 2015 10:42 #74027 by BenPeal

If WotC are not interested even in discussing this project, they obviously will not take any legal action to fight for their vague IP in VTES. Can we already drop this theme from all topics, concerning future of VtES?

The case of Up Front is proof to the contrary. It is a game that was originally published by Avalon Hill back in the 1980's, but was out of print for twenty years or so. Wizards of the Coast purchased Avalon Hill (mainly to own the rights to Civilization), but didn't reprint Up Front or any of a zillion other good AH games. Wizards licensed Up Front to Multi-Man Publishing (MMP publishes Advanced Squad Leader, another AH title), but MMP for whatever reason didn't reprint Up Front!, either, and let the license lapse.

Fast forward to 2013, when a group called Radiant Games announced they had acquired the rights to Up Front from its creator, Courtney Allen. A Kickstarter was launched and raised $300,000 or so. Wizards saw this and noted that they held the rights to Up Front, not Courtney Allen or Radiant Games. Despite having no real interest in getting Up Front back in print for 20 years, Wizards sued Radiant Games to the point where all of the Kickstarter money was lost and Radiant Games no longer exists.

Wizards then proceeded to negotiate a deal with OneBookShelf to print Up Front for the purpose of protecting their property:

www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete-Game-BUNDLE

This then leads to a weird question, with a course of action I really don't recommend:

If Wizards will sue someone out of existence and then publish a game they previously had no interest in for years, just to protect their ownership of it, then...like...would it work if someone published V:TES in order to provoke the same course of action from Wizards?

It's a really, really stupid idea. Don't do it. But it makes one wonder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Robert Goudie, Juggernaut1981, Jussi, Ashur, self biased, brettscho

More
02 Nov 2015 12:31 #74032 by Migalart
Plese answer the survey moje-ankiety.pl/respond-79717.html
There are currently 150 answers including 1! new player (playing less then 1 year)

VEKN Marketing CoDirector

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds